Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the Banestorm and how did it affect the Umbra?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the Banestorm and how did it affect the Umbra?

The WW wiki tells me:
    "70, 000 years ago: The supervolcano Mount Toba erupts in modern Indonesia. The eruption unleashes the Banestorm, permanently altering the Umbra and allowing the Garou to gain prominence among the Fera"

But it doesn't explain what the Banestorm was, how it altered the Umbra or how it allowed the Garou to gain prominence.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
    Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Does the WW wiki give a page reference ?

Comment

Shattered Dreams, p67

My characters:
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
      Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Well, basically, the Wyrm used the eruption to tear a hole in the Gauntlet which allowed thousands of Banes to spill unfiltered into the physical world. This Umbral invasion coupled with the climatic devastation caused by the volcano led to multiple changes in how the physical and spiritual worlds related to each other.
        First, the Weaver not only repaired the Gauntlet but wove it much tighter, which caused many of the Changing Breeds to lose the ability to freely step sideways. However, the Garou were not affected by this.
        Second, once the Banes discovered how much more difficult it had become for them to cross over as well, they began possessing humans, creating the first Fomori.
        Finally, due to the scarcity of resources, the Garou were all but living in a post apocalyptic wasteland. In order to strengthen their packs, they began accepting patronage from spirits in return for devotion, thus creating the first Totems.

Comment

Great explanation, thanks.

My characters:

Comment

Man I never thought I'd see the day when Werewolf would talk about prehistory, It blew my mind they made shattered dreams. Aren't we still getting a Bunyip book?

And this even was before the Tribes were founded right? So no Bunyip yet since I believe they seperated 50k years ago. I also wonder does that mean the Bunyip are the oldest tribe since they were the first to isolate themselves, followed by the three brothers next?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I hope we're getting a Bunyip tribebook. That'd be awesome.
              Whether they are the 'oldest' tribe is probably dependent on when you count them as being 'Bunyip'. I mean, the Garou who made the trek to Australia weren't called Bunyip at the time. Upon arrival they were thousands of years away from finally settling into were-thylacines, so is that when we count from? Perhaps? idk.

Open the gates of Hell: Random Demon Generator.

Shapeshifting Historian
              Freelancer - Shattered Dreams, Dark Eras Companion - Forsaken by Rome

Comment

Working...
              X