my take on W5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my take on W5

There was recently a topic about, basically, "how would you do werewolf 5th edition.

Rather than drowning said topic with how I imagine it, here's another dedicated to it.

First thing first, be it the way I made changes to the tribes, the garou nation and metaplot,, the most important themes is the necessity for imminent action, the ghosts of the past and the need to change, for no matter how much the harou are called changers, they are bind by traditions as trapping as the worse weaver threads.

Metaplot

The apocalypse is now. Not next generation, not in 20 years, now.

The garou have failed, any book is clear about that and all but the most blind of garou knows it. Their ways are an anachronism for where the wyrm adapt, the garou stagnate.

These two facts are what pushed the tribes to the actions that are tearing the garou nation.

In these last days, three tribes are on the edge of leaving the nation, fighting the wyrm, weaver, and even the wyld in their own ways.

The end of apathy

The get of fenris have trained themselves for ages for the final battle. The promised Ragnarok.
    and where is it? Nowhere. The world seems to be ready to die in silence, not the scream of war.

For the followers of the war wolf, this was unnaceptable. This could not be allowed to continue. And so they acted.

With an expedition of a magnitude never saw in the last centuries, Gets have assembled an army of garou, spirits of war, and even, according to rumors, the Ice Warrior himself, and entered Malfeas, there, after a year of glorious (and some said, but never in front of a fenrir, pointless) battle, they found the way to murder Thurifuge, Maeljin Incarna of Apathy.

This majestic action changed everything for the garou and the world, elders leaved Harano around the Gaia. Long gone Garou return from their self exile in the Umbra, bringing new knowledge, gifts, and strange allies for the fight.

The weakened yet triumphant Gets came back to the Nation with a cry of battle, but also of warning. "We'll fight to the very end for gaia, now we know that even the heads of the wyrm can be put to silence. Not even the greatest incarna are beyond our judgement.

Join us and share our glory, or sttay away like the coward you've become. But do not try to stop us, or we will crush you like the rest."

The two crown
    In the umbral tribeland of the shadow lords, a garou finally obtained the very grail of that tribe: the legendary castle at the summit of Grandfather Thunder's mountain.

According to the legend, the lord who would storm the castle would rule the Garou nation.

And rules she does. But in the shadows behind the throne, for inside the castle was a secret.
    the secret of the madness of the Silver Fangs, of how a part of Luna took offense of them pledging fealthy to Helios as well as her. And how this Vengeful face cursed their leaders with the madness of the 7th year.

During heavy negociation, Hide-in-the-Noise, as she is now known, exposed her knowledge to king Albriech and rather than threatening him to reveal to all garou the source of their curse, a revelation that would doom them in the eyes of most garous, she came with an offer, the end of the curse, in exchange for shared regency of the Nation.

No Silver Crown in the known of this deal could know that the lords, energised by Hide-in-the-noise accomplishment and the death of Thurifuge, would manipulated the spirits to cause the murder of an incarna...

And yet the Vengeful Lady ( I don't remember her name and don't have the silver fangs tribebook on me) is now dead.

For all garou, the suddent healing of even the maddest fang is a sign of gaia.

Now the reniewed silver fangs and shadows lord rules in an uneasy fashion. Knowing that denouncing the other tribe would doom their own.

The Machine is awake.

For the last centuries, the warden of men, the iron riders and the glass walkers have wathed over the growth of the machine, the verumy Incarna of tehnology. Sleeping but ever growing.

And as technology have grown to the point that humans are develloping AIs, the Machine awoke.

For the Bone Gnawers, it was as if the Glass walkers were still all around one night, and all gone the next morning.

Garous from all camps of the tribes joined in the grandest moot ever done by the walkers.

Here was discussed the power of the machine, which seemed like a ceskestial in becoming. But most importantly, what it would want.

After days of debate, a consensus was formed: the Machine have the power to save Gaia, but for that, it must be guided.

As so, a strange symbiosis between the near omni present godling and it's "adopted parents". Now that it is awake, AI research programs give exponential results. Dozens of new types of spirits are birthed each months. The singularity is here, it is merely cracking it's fingers after sleep.

The Glass Walkers have now all but abandonned the Nation, judged as a lost cause. They still fight Pentex in the boardrooms and in wall street, but now the majority of them orbit the machine.

The Bone Gnawers, moved by Therifuge death, are now taking the streets, the gangs and even a part of the economical scene. As the glass walkers are gone abd the vampires seems to hide from a new threat, the occasion is too good not to take and rat's chidren
    Will be sooner damned than not take their chance.

I'll continue tommorow

I like it a lot😀 I like big plot pushers and groundbreakers. . idea with Machine awakening is impressing. Same is the conquering the castle by Shadow Lords. Very good.

I made my own big pushes and still developing them, here's examples:

1. Zhyzhak killed Albrecht violently. Players found his body in public hospital mortuary as John Doe. They took the silver crown from deposit. One of Silver Fang players was tested and became next Wyrmfoe king. Zhyzhak is mad about not fulfiling prophecy and she's on the hunt.

2. Wyrm forces made their big move against garou wishing to end the werewolf problem once and for all. Through eliminating major players .And so Roger Daily died in car explosion. Konietzko was poisoned and killed by silver in assault on Shadow Lords caern planned by one of zmei. Get caerns in all over the world were under atack only to tie them in battles so they couldn't help other septs. Many elders have fallen including Mother Larisa, Shakey Mac and other .

3. In North America Pentex bought a lot of lands that were part of net holding Stormeater. Broken lands appear where the net is cut.

4. To bring tension between tribes Children of Gaia, Red Talons and Fianna weren't under atack. Septs look at others with suspicion and that is the begining.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyremne View Post

The garou have failed, any book is clear about that and all but the most blind of garou knows it. Their ways are an anachronism for where the wyrm adapt, the garou stagnate.
      Well, it has been since 1st edition, certainly since revised: "no new cubs" and all that.

The problem is, that this only makes sense in a shifting time window. For people who start a campaign in 2024 most probably want it to be set in 2024 and not be stuck in a Setting that is stuck in 2019. Periode pieces are fun in film and on TV are fun, because the production people worked hard on it being more or less accurate. Playing DAV, Sorcerer's Crusade or Victorian Age Vampire is fun, because nobody experienced it first hand (any time travelers here?) and you usually don't play with history experts who point out what you are doing wrong.

The whole "it is now" is difficult for a setting, because it has been going down hill for a while now. But you don't want to start a game or a chronicle, with a single event, right at the end.

Generelly, I don't like major changes to the setting, because it kinda invalidates the game you played if some book tells you "Didn't you hear, 10 years ago this other major event took place and had repercussions you can't avoid."

I like big changes as parts of a scenario. And everything you describe would be great in a "Storyteller's Vault: Grand Scenarios" book. The background changes would be nice to be explored over the course of a campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich View Post
        Well, it has been since 1st edition, certainly since revised: "no new cubs" and all that.
        More like since revised, but in revised, it manifested as a cause of mourning and apathy, the tribes had still nothing better to do than whine on past glories and errors rather than present actions.

Originally posted by heinrich:n1330513
        The problem is, that this only makes sense in a shifting time window. For people who start a campaign in 2024 most probably want it to be set in 2024 and not be stuck in a Setting that is stuck in 2019. Periode pieces are fun in film and on TV are fun, because the production people worked hard on it being more or less accurate. Playing DAV, Sorcerer's Crusade or Victorian Age Vampire is fun, because nobody experienced it first hand (any time travelers here?) and you usually don't play with history experts who point out what you are doing wrong.
        I hardly see why. The whole "get off your seat to fight ecological disaster" was already the word in the 90s, and it won't end in 2024.

I don't see what in my proposition you see as a periode piece.

Originally posted by heinrich View Post
        The whole "it is now" is difficult for a setting, because it has been going down hill for a while now. But you don't want to start a game or a chronicle, with a single event, right at the end.
        Who said that "the apocalypse is now" means the end is this afternoon after 5? This is similar to V5 gehenna crusade. The end is an ongoing event that have already started, not a single day that will come Soon (tm) as in previous werewold editions.

{QUOTE=heinrich;n1330513] Generelly, I don't like major changes to the setting, because it kinda invalidates the game you played if some book tells you "Didn't you hear, 10 years ago this other major event took place and had repercussions you can't avoid."

I like big changes as parts of a scenario. And everything you describe would be great in a "Storyteller's Vault: Grand Scenarios" book. The background changes would be nice to be explored over the course of a campaign.[/QUOTE]

Oh my, you must have quite the love/hate relation with the entire world of darkness. For in the exception of the 20th aniversary editions, all editions of each splat is about major changes to the setting.

Indeed, if such metaplot wasn't the trademark of the WOD, we could simply open our 20th edition books until the end of the world (pun intended).
        Last edited by Nyremne; 08-14-2019, 05:35 PM.

Comment

More like since revised, but in revised, it manifested as a cause of mourning and apathy, the tribes had still nothing better to do than whine on past glories and errors rather than present actions.
          Well, that isn't necessarily what I gathered from the books...

I hardly see why. The whole "get off your seat to fight ecological disaster" was already the word in the 90s, and it won't end in 2024.

I don't see what in my proposition you see as a periode piece.
          Because it was written:

So, I started WtA when I was 19, and I have a LARP chronicle running since then. I hit 39 next year. And I might still be playing in 2039. So, "now" is a specific point in time. For an Apocalypse that is going for 40 years 'now' seems to be the wrong word to describe it.
          If you want to point out that the time til the very end is narrow, you would either frame the game in the current year and make it a period piece OR instruct STs to plan their chronicle to always run about X in-game years, regardless of what point in time they start, so that the time the player's have to accomplish anything is limited.

In either case 'The apocalypse is now' is a difficult statement. For it kinda prohibits long-running games. Unless the apocalypse is now in the same way it has been 'now' in all the other editions - in the way that could happen any moment, but the world still goes on...

Who said that "the apocalypse is now" means the end is this afternoon after 5? This is similar to V5 gehenna crusade. The end is an ongoing event that have already started, not a single day that will come Soon (tm) as in previous werewolf editions.
          Oh, I didn't realise you thought the previous editions saw the apocalypse as a single event, that was in the future. Well, I don't think they did:
          "The end is upon us" is on the 2nd Edition backcover.
          "The End Times are here" is on the revised backcover.
          I think that all editions of werewolf kind of worked under the premise, that the apocalypse is now - in that sense.

Oh my, you must have quite the love/hate relation with the entire world of darkness. For in the exception of the 20th aniversary editions, all editions of each splat is about major changes to the setting.

Indeed, if such metaplot wasn't the trademark of the WOD, we could simply open our 20th edition books until the end of the world (pun intended).
          Well, yes and no.
          I loved V20 for it was done with love. It was VtM at the height of 2nd edition, but with sidebars explaining the met plot, like the fate of the Ravnos and such. TB Black Furies revised was similar, explaining in the ST section, that the authors/editors didn't intend to do anything with the metamorphing plague except providing a plot hook - same with with the Medusa totem changes.

And I get that new editions are created. Rules need to be updated and the real world doesn't stand still, so the books should incorporate that.

W20 I dislike because it sneaked in world changing stuff like "one can't discern pre-change garou from kinfolk anymore". And it didn't address some issues the system had. Sure, it was rushed since it was OPPs first and the Anniversary was coming up.

I dislike BNS's Werewolf for it changes the world radically. It does a lot of setting changes to allow for certain character options that LARP players might want, like introduction of fera into a chronicle as a character option bought by a merit and therefor legitimised. Doesn't mean their vision of Werewolf isn't suitable or fun to play, but it isn't the Setting that werewolf the Apocalypse was.

V5 I'm indifferent about. For sure, Martin Ericsson stated, he wanted to fill the dark decade in which CCP didn't do much with the WoD IP. Well, I thought and said to him all the way back at their first Con in Germany, that changes to drastic will make the setting unrecognisable. For me, V5 is acceptably different - but for W5 I hope it doesn't go all the way BNS's Werewolf went. For sure, they also put a lot of thought into it, and those I met in New Orleans are nice people, but I feel the changes they made made sense to them and within their group, but not necessarily to me.

Comment

I always wanted to do my Werewolf Apocalypse based on the actual Nordic Ragnarok. My idea was to take Ragnarok and apply the themes and virtues of each of the Nordic Gods to one of the tribes (Get of Fenris = Fenrir, Silver Fangs equal either Odin or Thor, etc.), and then just build around that.

Comment

Working...
            X