Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request help with NPCs - A DNA Adventure/Prelude

Hello All,

I'd like to ask for your help: I'm currently devising an adventure, what I'd like to tell to a new group. They are totally new to WW (or WoD at large).

My first problem was the prelude: I want them to start homid characters without any knowledge of the People, starting before the First Change. Later they would experience the world, gathering player-character experience/knowledge together. But the spontaneous gathering 5 would-be Garou, who experience the FC together is HIGHLY unrealistic.

Than I'd have an idea:
    DNA.
    As an alternative to Project Reaper /retroviral therapy a branch started to test a temporary solution:
    Based genetic screening, anthropological studies & behavioral tests they started to gather pre-Lost Cubs and test a medical therapy to suppress the change (see Magadon Products). The middle time goal to have a product without recognizable/serious side effects what could be used en-masse. The rate of true breeding in the cohors of the children will be much higher than in the normal population. Of course the cohorts also includes normal children & Kinfolk. The methods are not yet foolproof.

The DNA, with the help of one of their Subsidiary, backers, good PR & old-school corruption bought parts of South Brother Island, in NY. They renovated the old hospital, forming it into a boarding school (7-12 grade) from troubled children (especially anger management problems), adding an underground lab system. The complex is guarded with an internal security force.
    The only exit point is the pier witch is guarded, the site is fenced (with a small hole where the children get out to blow off some steam - known by the DNA, advised by a behavior therapist).
    Parts of the island is still covered with woodland & ruins, leaving some natural habitat for the birds living in there, as a compromise with the nature protection groups. The woods will cover a small Wyld Threshold what will help/hinder the players in the future - it will be able to break the effects of medications, indoctrinations, and all other mundane bounds.

For those who are resistant to the medicines the DNA have some surprises, and in the long run, retroviral therapy or silver coated retirement package.

The players will be "chosen" who will attend to this boarding school because of their behavior. They will be drugged (without their knowledge), indoctrinated & observed. And they will have boring math classes.
    I hope (and 'm sure) they will revolt as normal adolescences and than the adventure will begin. I will throw in some bullying, teenager love, caring / inhuman supervisors and possible one Drone (an ex-test subject).

Why I wrote all of this:
    I'd like to ask you to give me some NPC-ideas. I'd like to populate this small island and don't want them to be too schematic.

If you have ideas (be it staff or subject), or some advises about the whole adventure I'd be grateful.

When I need to create a large number of NPCs for background purposes (rather than story purposes to drive the plot or be antagonists), I find it easiest to find some existing medium that covers the same ground, steal many of their characters, reduce them to the essentials and rub the serial #s off, and then make changes to fit them into the new setting. If you do it well enough, nobody will even know what you've done.

So there are lots of stories (TV, books, movies) set in schools that you can steal teachers, faculty, and other students from. Harry Potter is an obvious source to steal from, but you can also go to any number of high school teen drama shows as well - Freaks & Geeks, DeGrassi, Veronica Mars, Glee, Dawson's Creek, Boy Meets World, and many others. And you can find lots of things elsewhere that aren't as obvious. And that is just the very popular stuff you might have already seen and hence don't need to read again. But maybe you've read Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go and know your players haven't - that is even better.

So you can have Severus Snape as the model for a Mathematics teacher, Walter White as the chemistry teacher, Mr. Feeney as their literature teacher, Mr. Hand from Fast Times at Ridgemont High as their history teacher, and their economics teacher is the professor who is Rodney Dangerfield's enemy in Back to School. For fellow students, pick the characters you like best from Harry Potter, some of the kids from the Breakfast Club, and also throw in the Sweathogs from Welcome Back Kotter. Then throw in a groundskeeper, school doctor, principle/headmaster and anyone else you need.

Once you have them, define what is the essential things about them in terms of personality and background. Then give them new names and individual interests/goals that fit your needs. You'll quickly find that they no longer directly match up to their inspirations as you play off their new relationships with the other NPCs.

Comment

Random fictional characters which might serve as inspirations for staff members.

Mother Isabella and Sister Krone from the anime The Promised Neverland.
      Dr. Edgar Caldicott from the film Disturbing Behavior (1998).
      Dr. Yen Lo from the film The Manchurian Candidate (1962).
      Dr. Allen Chafee and Dr. Susan Varner from the film The Village of the Damned (1995).
      John Rainbird from the film FIrestarter (1984).
      Martin Brenner from the tv series Stranger Things.
      Carter Burke from the film Aliens (1986).
      Professor Maggie Walsh from season four of the tv series Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
      Dr. Walter Bishop from the tv series Fringe.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

All good picks for inspiration!

John Rainbird would make an awesome headmaster for the school. Perfect combination of outward seeming benevolence and actual selfish malevolence.

Comment

Thank you. You gave me some stuff to read / watch. Unfortunately the teen dramas is a genre I've never loved.

My friends usualy give me the templates. I had the fortune to live in multiple places and my pals from the different locations usualy don't know each other so I can borrow them.

Comment

The idea is to steal stuff from media you've already consumed so the homework is kept to a minimum. And it doesn't need to be teen dramas. The list I mentioned included comedies, and Veronica Mars is a mystery drama where a lot of action takes place in a high school. You could also use Stranger Things, Scooby Doo, Saved By the Bell, or The Magicians if you've ever watched those.. And there is plenty of movies to choose from as well that take place in high schools or colleges.

I'm sure you watched or read something that has students in them! Just think back to what you've already seen.

A lot of these characters are simply the same tropes and stereotypes reused in different combinations.

Comment

Working...
            X