• African Wendigo?

W20th, Rage Across the World

''We arrived at a caern near Francistown, watched over
    by the Shashe River Sept, predominated by a Wendigo
    presence. I was a little surprised to find them here, and
    expected Red Talons to be running the place. Francistown
    is the second largest city in Botswana, completely modern
    and very wealthy. The place was a host to diamond miners,
    with three mines within 150 miles of the city.
    The Wendigo were welcoming enough. ''

Any other source about this Caern outside from Rage Across the World? Seems really weird to find Wendigo in the middle of South Africa, dominating a sept.

Always from the same Book :
    ''. The Wendigo show similar favoritism for their favorite Native American tribes,
    and almost never accept Anglos. The Fianna and the Get of
    Fenris are more or less the same way, to a somewhat lesser
    degree. Only the Silver Fangs are sufficiently picky to reject
    a cub entirely based on ancestry''

-'' We are the unsullied.
    We are the inheritors.
    We are the Pure ''-

Yes, it is weird.
    I vaguely recall there is a backstory somewhere how a pack of Wendigo was led to Africa and stumbled upon a caern and decided to stay and well, it is kind of a set of events that seems plausible, but having been an ST in a LARP game for 15 years I see that there is a lot of weird stuff one can justify in a character backgrounds story with reasonable seeming chains of events. So, there is that.

In general I think it is an attempt to make the Wendigo more accessible, especially outside of the American North. Is that really necessary, I don't know.

In any case, it is as I recall the first mention of this and if they ever turn up somewhere else, then only in later books.

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich View Post

Yes, it is weird.
      I vaguely recall there is a backstory somewhere how a pack of Wendigo was led to Africa and stumbled upon a caern and decided to stay and well, it is kind of a set of events that seems plausible, but having been an ST in a LARP game for 15 years I see that there is a lot of weird stuff one can justify in a character backgrounds story with reasonable seeming chains of events. So, there is that.

In general I think it is an attempt to make the Wendigo more accessible, especially outside of the American North. Is that really necessary, I don't know.

In any case, it is as I recall the first mention of this and if they ever turn up somewhere else, then only in later books.
      You don't remember where can I find the backstory ?

I don't know what to expect from werewolf 5 , due to those kind of things. Back to primitivism but without ethnic preferences to boost tribe numbers would be' cool. From the other side, its a bad fracture to one of the main theme of werewolf. Bloodlines and legacy of a race of warriors.

We are the inheritors.
      We are the Pure ''-

Comment

For me, the reason is to allow the players play Wendigo without setting the game in America. There are sami in nordic countries, sure, but I think that was a way to add availability of the tribe without forcing players to dig deep into the crappy way First Nations people are seen/treated.

My gallery.

Comment

I don't remember the story well, or the source, might have been the forum here. It was basically Wendigo pack on a vision quest, finding the caern, protecting it because of Litany and spirits backing them up for some reason.

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post
          For me, the reason is to allow the players play Wendigo without setting the game in America. There are sami in nordic countries, sure, but I think that was a way to add availability of the tribe without forcing players to dig deep into the crappy way First Nations people are seen/treated.
          Maybe.

Thing is, I found it unfortunate that there were Tribes in WtF, for the world is used with vaguely defined contexts, but some form of kinship is usually implied in addition to a shared cultural identity. And W20-era WtA seems to go into this direction as well.

And while this may be fitting to how the authors see the world and society in the years 2010-2019 or if they wish it should be like that or whatever, I don't like it. Wendigo were designed to be a bit isolationalistic, and protective of their kin, their traditions and their community, as well as their land. For them to settle somewhere in the world seems hardly believable. And while the way they were designed might make them a non-starter as a character choice in a given game that is okay. There is no need to make them available to be played worldwide. That's just not like the world is or needs to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post
            I actually think that could be helpful to understand various issues.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread. I remembered about me creating this thread when I found this, yesterday, on Kinfolk 20th:

''''Although Wendigo almost exclusively select their Kinfolk from among the native tribes of Canada, the northern
              American states, Siberia, and other sub-arctic and arctic
              tribes, exceptions always exist. ''

so, non-native Wendigo already a thing in W20th ???

We are the inheritors.
              We are the Pure ''-

Comment

Originally posted by Helur View Post
                Sorry to resurrect a very old thread. I remembered about me creating this thread when I found this, yesterday, on Kinfolk 20th:

''''Although Wendigo almost exclusively select their Kinfolk from among the native tribes of Canada, the northern
                American states, Siberia, and other sub-arctic and arctic
                tribes, exceptions always exist. ''

so, non-native Wendigo already a thing in W20th ???
                Yes, please restart the thread please if you want to talk about the topic.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Working...
                X