Identifying Metis Deformities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Metis Deformities

So, we know that every Metis has a deformity be it if physical, mental, or spiritual. With the exception of the apocryphal "Perfect Metis," which has none.

My question is then: how do the Garou know? Many physical deformities are apparent from birth, but mental? Spiritual? Is there some ritual Garou use for finding the deformity, or is part of the stigma Metis face is that they are considered a harbinger of the Apocalypse until they mature enough to show otherwise?

Generally the stigma, keeping in mind that physical Deformities are supposed to be vastly more common. It's not like hiding a Metis pregnancy or a Metis child as such is remotely plausible for the vast majority of the Garou. There are going to be years to watch a Metis child for the signs of what their Deformity is, if it's not readily apparent at birth.

Comment

So, it would not be so much a "unto us a child is born" moment, but a "wait.... I don't think ANYTHING is wrong with Frank!" moment?

What would be the age where that would become certain? Is there any way to check to be certain, or would it be more of a witch trial?

I haven't read all of the rituals, but is there a way to check for that? Does it seem to be out of the realm of possibility to have the storyteller to create such a ritual?

The Perfect Metis would be either a rallying cry or a portent of doom depending on whether or not it could be proven, and so in the campaign I'm considering, I'd like to get all the options fleshed out.

(And I know the Golden Rule, I just don't like to invoke it if there is something in one of the books or lore in direct opposition to it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Monk View Post
        So, it would not be so much a "unto us a child is born" moment, but a "wait.... I don't think ANYTHING is wrong with Frank!" moment?
        I'm not really sure what either of these means really.

A Metis birth is obvious. The mother has to be in Crinos to give birth, and the Metis is born in Crinos; and will stay that way for ~6-8 years. You can't hide that.

If a Metis doesn't have an obvious Deformity, everyone will be on the lookout of signs of subtle ones. They can be subtle (Wasting Disease is a physical Deformity but would take observation to figure out). Signs of things like Derangements as Deformities would be made clear over time.

What would be the age where that would become certain?
        Deformities are present from birth, how soon people figure out subtle ones is too rare and situational to put an age on it like that.

Is there any way to check to be certain, or would it be more of a witch trial?
        There's no "Detect Deformity" power. There are better things than a "witch trial" to try to suss out what the Deformity might be.

I haven't read all of the rituals, but is there a way to check for that?
        There isn't one for this in the books.

Does it seem to be out of the realm of possibility to have the storyteller to create such a ritual?
        No. There's no reason a ritual couldn't accomplish this if you wanted to make one for it for some reason.

The Perfect Metis would be either a rallying cry or a portent of doom depending on whether or not it could be proven, and so in the campaign I'm considering, I'd like to get all the options fleshed out.
        The Perfect Metis is a plot device, do what you want to make it work for your game. The books discussing using the Perfect Metis offer multiple options, so there's no need to worry about invoking the Golden Rule, it's not supposed to be one thing with one potential use.

Comment

And in Apocalypse they had it the Perfect Metis was cray-cray anyways...

Its a hard knock life for metis. I'd imagine there would be a great degree of dread when a metis is born and they can't find the deformity, because if its madness it could be anything and dangerous, or it could be something physical but horrifyingly potent but you don't know about it till its too late, imagine the metis that takes double damage from Silver first finding out about it...

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

A metis without obvious physical deformity/disability will simply assume to have mental or other unobvious problems that will be revealed in later time.

Metis face stigma not because they are disformed in some way, but because it is an explicit religious crime to sire one. Garou society shuns metis like how many societies shun children born out of wedlock. A major reason for the shunning is to produce a powerful enough incentive to discourage others from following the example of the parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
              And in Apocalypse they had it the Perfect Metis was cray-cray anyways...
              Well, when he shows up in Apocalypse, he's fully possessed by an avatar of the Wyrm. Also relevantly, the Perfect Metis was born to two Metis parents, so there was a clue right away that something was up. The lack of any obvious physical deformity would have immediately stood out more than usual.

Comment

Working...
              X