How would you run the Omega Plan ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grippli
    started a topic How would you run the Omega Plan ?

How would you run the Omega Plan ?

Hello ! New member here. I've been silently scouring these forums for a while, and I have finally decided to be a little more active, so I figured I'd start with a difficult question. Also, french Storyteller here, please forgive my obligatory grammar errors.

So, my players and I will soon finish our years-long campaign in Russia against Baba Yaga and the Zmei. It was a lot of wilderness-exploring, umbral deep-diving and war-meetings... Which are all fun and good, but my players have expressed the growing need to return to old fashioned monkeywrench against Pentex (so lots of investigation). Also, they want to try playing as a murder of Corax. Which I'm all for.

I recently stumbled upon the mention of the Omega Plan in the Book of the Wyrm (1st Ed) and it peaked my interest. Basically, there are three phases in the Plan :

- 1) Defilement Phase : What Pentex is known for. They slowly destroy the environment despite Garou's best efforts and try to break the free will of the common folk.
    - 2) Reconstruction Phase : Pentex managed to be so destructive that the planet cannot be saved. The world has been rendered inhabitable for its inhabitants. That's when Pentex will publicly step in, offering the survivors new ways to survive on this burning rock. They will effectively present themselves as saviors and begin accumulating power and influence.
    - 3) Domination Phase : At this stage, Pentex will control the lives of every person on the planet, and will attempt take the place of the governments, probably without much resistance given the terrible state of the world.

I know the Omega Plan is ridiculous and cheesy, but I know that's the kind of things my players will love. My goal is to build a chronicle betweeen the Phase 1 and 2, and to build a story leading to a point where the players have the opportunity to prevent a major catastrophe which would trigger Phase 2. If they fail, well, I will have some fun throwing them in the Apocalypse.

So how would you run the cheesy Omega Plan ? Any advice for a Storyteller who honestly hasn't really run a Pentex-oriented game before (I know the lore, but running it is a different story) ?

• CTPhipps
    replied
    I'd start with a Civil War between Pentex officials who want to rule the world vs. those who want to destroy it (and become gods in Hell).

The PCs can choose which side to help or just point and laugh.

Leave a comment:

• MyWifeIsScary
    replied
    Start a nuclear war
    At the Gay bar, Gay bar *electric guitar*

You should kinda prep phase 2 while you're doing phase 1. Set up bunkers, renovate oil rigs, island paradises, and so on. Actually pushing for WW3 would be a great move for this plan; Sell weapons and lobby governments to go to war and buy more of your weapons. All sorts of nasty chemical weapons, uranium rounds, special fuels which are really fast but are really, really bad for the environment, wyrm enhanced technologies (balefire bombs, super corrosives and toxins). The world right now is pretty tense.

-Set Australia up to have a great bushfire every year till it runs out of forest.
    -Set up a "safe" trash collection company that just dumps it into the sea.
    -Promote volcanic erruptions through fracking or something hilarious.
    -Work against Nuclear energy (FUND THE GREENS) because it's the best alternative to coal.
    -Encourage a communist revolution so you have the excuse to get nuclear.
    -Engineer a virus for trees.

Leave a comment:

• The Cat Came Back
    replied
    The same advice i always give people asking about Pentex stuff; look at real world corporate practices.

The weird thing about Pentex and its "cheesiness" is that its really not that cheesy at all. All it does is add a conspiracy of collusion to actual stuff happening in the real world; hell, sometimes the real world is even crazier (no Pentex subsidy written yet has tried to copyright a cultural holiday, or patent human beings, or make drinking water not provided by the company a crime...)

For the Omega Plan, just assume that Exxon-Mobil and Elon Musk are working together.

Leave a comment:

• Grippli
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
    So Phase 1 is about finding occult and supernatural resources for later use, making preparations to stockpile crucial natural resources or gain control of essentials (like farmland in areas not destined to be destroyed by Cthulhu or whatever), and developing new technologies that will be useful once the countdown starts. Since they know in advance the Apocalypse is coming and can read some of the signs to be able to guess when they need to start the transition from normal company to we have to prepare now, they have a headstart against everyone else. It's basically an occult preppers guide, but with the resources of a huge multinational corporation.

It's less about causing the Apocalypse than being prepared to ride it out.
    I like the idea ! I think it's a good way to confuse the PCs and to reinforce the mystery of what the hell Pentex is doing, especially if those research for survival don't seem to fit the typical Pentex MO.

Originally posted by Nail Eater View Post
    I advice you not to use Omega Plan per se. If you really have to read "Rainbow Six" by Tom Clancy. There's a bunch of ecological fanatics who want to erase humankind using a virus (and if I remember well Omega Plan was based on a virus). Then they will emerge with vaccine and those who will get it will have to pledge allegiance to Wyrm. So stay away from Omega Plan unless you want to end the world (I think that preventing it will be nearly impossible).
    I agree, it will we more fun to monkeywrench Pentex than to actually playing the end of the world. The Omega Plan is the goal Pentex has, but the focus will be on the PCs trying to prevent it. I will have to check the White Wolf Magazines, I am amazed to discover that there are many official WoD adventures that I didn't know about !

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    I advice you not to use Omega Plan per se. If you really have to read "Rainbow Six" by Tom Clancy. There's a bunch of ecological fanatics who want to erase humankind using a virus (and if I remember well Omega Plan was based on a virus). Then they will emerge with vaccine (in Pentex version) and those who will get it will have to pledge allegiance to Wyrm. So stay away from Omega Plan unless you want to end the world (I think that preventing it will be nearly impossible).

If you want to run a story for monkeywrenches try Monkeywrench: Pentex. It's available on drivethru:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/61493

You can also try "Night of Rage" adventure from White Wolf Magazine #39. It's a nice start to monkeywrench campaign (tested on my players).

And remember: there's no such thing like Pentex. It's basically a myth.
    Last edited by Nail Eater; 06-09-2020, 12:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Black Fox
    replied
    In the BPRD comics, a spinoff from Hellboy, the comic actually had a company, Zinco Corporation, do something similar once they entered their "end of the world" long story arc. Zinco knew the old world was coming to an end, and they spent their time preparing for it so they'd have the resources to take control of the rest of the population and step in place once the tribulations were over.

So that's how I'd do it. Phase 1 is basically everything that happens prior to the Apocalypse. Phase 2 happens once the Apocalypse begins. Phase 3 is what will happen afterwards. They aren't designed to happen before then. In my mind, the Apocalypse will take place over many years, perhaps decades.

So Phase 1 is about finding occult and supernatural resources for later use, making preparations to stockpile crucial natural resources or gain control of essentials (like farmland in areas not destined to be destroyed by Cthulhu or whatever), and developing new technologies that will be useful once the countdown starts. Since they know in advance the Apocalypse is coming and can read some of the signs to be able to guess when they need to start the transition from normal company to we have to prepare now, they have a headstart against everyone else. It's basically an occult preppers guide, but with the resources of a huge multinational corporation.

It's less about causing the Apocalypse than being prepared to ride it out.

One of my favorite scenes in the above BPRD story is when things are starting to get bad, but still seem relatively bearable, is when the Zinco CEO starts ordering his company to divest of anything that won't be useful soon at firesale prices and use those funds to buy things that will before their value skyrockets. The other people in the company think he's gone crazy, but in fact it's the smart move. They just don't have the information he does.

The PENTEX equivalent would be selling off subsidiaries like Avalon Toys, Black Dog Games, Rainbow, Herricks, and all their real estate in areas that will be destroyed, and instead buying land in areas that will be the most safe and provide the essentials for immediate survival. It's less important to have factories that produce guns, medicine, etc. than to have what you need stockpiled by that time since supply chains will be so disrupted those factories will be useless. Of course, it's all about the timing of when to switch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X