Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ferectoi - Can they surpress their nature and become good? Im setting up a chronicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferectoi - Can they surpress their nature and become good? Im setting up a chronicle

For those who don't know, Ferectoi are born as banes, when a breeder bane mates with a mortal, and later swap it's bane-born baby with a common baby, usually from a rich family. Ferectoi look completely human, and even if they have powers that make them inhumane, like tentacles, hulking mass of muscles, they can always hide it, like if they could transform.

Ferectoi, like any other possessed have an autonomy rating, althought my headcanon is that their autonomy do not represent the inner struggle against a spirit possessing them, but against their very own nature.

And thus enter my question. Can a Ferectoi become good? When I was a kid I always had this weird/funny thought that it must sucks to be the antichrist, because you're destined to be dammed, you naver had a chance of redemption, like anyone else. I want to explore exactly that in a game. A Ferectoi that feel like a monster he don't want to be, but can't help but make terrible things. I want him to literally belive he is the antichrist, dreaming frequently with the apocalypse, and beliving himself to be the unwilling herald of the impeding doom.

But I want to make a twist in this chronicle. In a certain way, he is some kind of antichrist, he is not just any ferectoi, he is a special ferectoi, and when he is sacrificed to the wyrm (by being killed by gaian forces) he will send a signal that it's the time to act, begginning the process of the apocalypse (that by itself will still take decades, but he is the first step)

So I want to know, how a Ferectoi could possibly overcome his nature, and how a pack os garous (or any allied being, like a kami, fera or kinfolk) could help through this? I want to explore this dilemma, where for some players the ferectoi might look impossible to save, but I want to reward the players if they manage to help the ferectoi. Showing something to the enemy that very few would dare: mercy.

Im heavily inspired by the quote (and questioning) made by Mark Twain
    "But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?"

I suppose a children of gaia is a must in this pack.

Werewolf as written makes it hard to redeem any kind of fomori. I suspect that is an intentional design choice in order that the PCs don't turn killing every fomori into some momentous decision because there might be another way to deal with it. They just wanted disposable cannon fodder of the Wyrm to destroy.

However, there isn't any real reason why that must be the case. Vampires, like Fomori, are also of the Wyrm. But Vampires have a Humanity track, and they have various concepts like Golconda that indicate it is possible to overcome the state of being Damned. That's been often undermined in Vampire material, but it is out there. And in Wraith, it is even possible for a Spectre to be redeemed.

So if you want to go with a Ferectoi rejecting his birthright and searching for a way to redeem himself, I say go ahead. It should be tough, but possible. I do think you need to give some thought as to how such a thing is possible. You might use concepts in Vampire as an inspiration.

If you want your PC group of Werewolves to assist the ferectoi in that attempt, and not just simply kill him. I think you need to provide some sort of evidence to the PCs that not only is it possible, but that it is the preferred solution. Perhaps a combination of a prophetic dream (either "natural" or as a result of a Gift like Sight from Beyond), revelation from a spirit oracle (perhaps the pack's totem?), or uncovering of a book or scroll that contains the ancient Wyrm prophecy and something happens that the PCs connect current events with that. The connection needs to be strong enough to overcome the normal objections the pack might have. It's also going to be something the pack likely can't share with other Garou since that information would likely be seen as heretical. So they'll need someone - maybe a Mentor - who can advise them how to proceed both in terms of preventing the prophecy and navigating internal Garou politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
      Werewolf as written makes it hard to redeem any kind of fomori. I suspect that is an intentional design choice in order that the PCs don't turn killing every fomori into some momentous decision because there might be another way to deal with it. They just wanted disposable cannon fodder of the Wyrm to destroy.

However, there isn't any real reason why that must be the case. Vampires, like Fomori, are also of the Wyrm. But Vampires have a Humanity track, and they have various concepts like Golconda that indicate it is possible to overcome the state of being Damned. That's been often undermined in Vampire material, but it is out there. And in Wraith, it is even possible for a Spectre to be redeemed.

So if you want to go with a Ferectoi rejecting his birthright and searching for a way to redeem himself, I say go ahead. It should be tough, but possible. I do think you need to give some thought as to how such a thing is possible. You might use concepts in Vampire as an inspiration.

If you want your PC group of Werewolves to assist the ferectoi in that attempt, and not just simply kill him. I think you need to provide some sort of evidence to the PCs that not only is it possible, but that it is the preferred solution. Perhaps a combination of a prophetic dream (either "natural" or as a result of a Gift like Sight from Beyond), revelation from a spirit oracle (perhaps the pack's totem?), or uncovering of a book or scroll that contains the ancient Wyrm prophecy and something happens that the PCs connect current events with that. The connection needs to be strong enough to overcome the normal objections the pack might have. It's also going to be something the pack likely can't share with other Garou since that information would likely be seen as heretical. So they'll need someone - maybe a Mentor - who can advise them how to proceed both in terms of preventing the prophecy and navigating internal Garou politics.

Very good advice, I was almost forgetting the social aspect of other garous being keen on destroying the ferectoi and beliving the pack is crazy os something. Also very good points about the need of a clue that destroying it might be bad. I was even thinking about throwing some mortal hunter in, religious zealots that don't even know about garous, but belive for all the wrong reasons the ferectoi is the antichrist.

Do you have a idea about how this purification could happen? I know there is a ritual that can remove a bane from a formori, even if it usually kills the host. But There isn't any spirit to be removed from a ferectoi, he is really just himself, so this one ritual probably won't work. But I kinda wanted for it to be something more than a ritual. With the the pack having to stomach terrible things he do giving to the urge of killing him, or babysiting him all the time, so he can't act on his istincts.

Comment

The cure is ST plot device. So make up whatever you want in however many steps you need for the game. Curing someone from being a vampire is also supposed to be impossible, but there are various stories, TV shows, and comics that have that happen. Use those for inspirations. Have it be a combination of adhering to a "Path", undergoing some kind of purification (something like Garou in Erebus), killing the ferectoi's monstrous parent(s), and then doing some kind of unique ritual that needs to be researched and created by the PCs. Just give them enough stuff to do to assist the ferectoi, and then they can enjoy seeing the ferectoi improve while they work on the next step.

Comment

I think the key here may be the concept of healing the Wyrm. It's not inherently insane, it was driven insane and its continued existence and healing is the only way to save the world. Healing the Wyrm is probably impossible while it's still bound... but this Ferectoi could be seen as the key.

If a Ferectoi is inherently of the Wyrm, can it be converted to being of the Balance Wyrm? Can this be a step towards healing the Wyrm itself? If this is no ordinary Ferectoi but one linked to the Apocalypse itself, healing it could be a cosmically powerful act.

Children of Gaia and/or Stargazers will be necessary to come up with a plan like that in the first place. You could even go out there and have a Hatar Ananasi subtly helping the pack (without revealing itself).

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
          Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

The Wyrm might not be inherently malignant, but banes, as a manifestation of the Wyrm's corruption, are. In the Bastet scheme of things, it's the difference between Cahlash, the Destroyer, and Asura, a malign spiritual force which indulges Cahlash's bruised ego.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
              The cure is ST plot device. So make up whatever you want in however many steps you need for the game. Curing someone from being a vampire is also supposed to be impossible, but there are various stories, TV shows, and comics that have that happen. Use those for inspirations. Have it be a combination of adhering to a "Path", undergoing some kind of purification (something like Garou in Erebus), killing the ferectoi's monstrous parent(s), and then doing some kind of unique ritual that needs to be researched and created by the PCs. Just give them enough stuff to do to assist the ferectoi, and then they can enjoy seeing the ferectoi improve while they work on the next step.
              Ferectoi don't have monstrous parents as such, unless you want to say that the humans that breeder bane violated while they were sleeping were somehow to blame for anything. About the only time that one or both of them might be is in the case of Devil Tiger demonologists who willingly go along with it to make minions who are bound to them as surely as the bane, but they're not exactly the most common form of "donor" for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                I think the key here may be the concept of healing the Wyrm. It's not inherently insane, it was driven insane and its continued existence and healing is the only way to save the world. Healing the Wyrm is probably impossible while it's still bound... but this Ferectoi could be seen as the key.

If a Ferectoi is inherently of the Wyrm, can it be converted to being of the Balance Wyrm? Can this be a step towards healing the Wyrm itself? If this is no ordinary Ferectoi but one linked to the Apocalypse itself, healing it could be a cosmically powerful act.

Children of Gaia and/or Stargazers will be necessary to come up with a plan like that in the first place. You could even go out there and have a Hatar Ananasi subtly helping the pack (without revealing itself).

Exactly! I really want to put it as a event that most garou do not really understand the importance, and only the players will understand the hints that not only killing him will empower the wyrm forces, but curing him will actually be a huge blow. I really want to show this side of things, that the answer is not to destroy the wyrm, or fight against it, but to help it. And The ferectoi is the key. It's a test, if the garous can't even help this ferecoit, they have no hope of healing the wyrm.

Im planning to put a kami NPC on the game to give these hints to the players. A kami who thinks garous already failed, and all the prep to the the final battle is pointless. However she don't have the power to actually restrain the ferectoi alone, nor fend off the would be attackers, or other formori servants that groom him. So she has to depend on the PCs pack.

I want it to be a kami to show that this might be Gaia direct will, since kamis are one of the only stuff that gaia still touch directly, showing she has plans, and a will.

Comment

Working...
                X