X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercurial
    started a topic Reclaiming territory from the Weaver

Reclaiming territory from the Weaver

I was rereading the Changing Ways book, and noticed the part concerning territory. How can I make a good story of werewolves converting land that has been paved over back into wilderness, or something close? I understand that parts of Detroit are becoming wild again, so a story revolving around tearing down property values and shutting down factories is an option, though a grim one. I honestly don’t think I could make that fun. What else can a roving pack of werewolves do to have the Wyld eat at the edges of the Weaver’s web and take back a few hundred acres of woods?
    Last edited by Mercurial; 07-05-2020, 10:31 PM.

• Mercurial
    replied
    A much belated thanks for this. This provides good inspiration for a story about taking back the wilderness for Gaia. I think maybe I could create a story about a sept of Glasswalkers who create opportunities for people moving out of these small towns to help quicken the flight of their population.

Leave a comment:

• Black Fox
    replied
    I think you may be overstating a things a bit by describing this scenario as Wyld versus Weaver. The wilderness is not synonymous with the Wyld, and it's overstating things that development is the same as the Weaver (although development does tend to bring Pattern Spirits as such with it). I think the crux of the matter is you want a game where human development - houses, paved roads, electrification and such is pushed back as the area reverts to wilderness.

I think an easy option is the American Great Plains states. Many small towns in these areas are dying. People are moving out either because they lack opportunity, or they simply don't want to take up the work that is there. So many small towns are rapidly depopulating. Some have already become ghost towns. In some of these areas, it is very dry and the aquifers are drying up. So there is a return to parts of the Plains becoming "the Great American Desert" again. Besides farming, some areas in this zone are also rich in natural resources. So you can have resource extraction industries like mining and fracking as potential foils. In addition, in the same general geographic area, some people are advocating for a "Buffalo Commons" - establishing a vast nature preserve of Great Plains so the Buffalo can roam free.

I think that may fit your needs. None of it is particularly urban, but there are still small towns that once held thousands or tens of thousands of people, and are now severely depopulated with 60%, 70%, or 80% population from their historic highs (typically from 1910 to 1930).

Create a fictional town and develop what you need from it. If you are looking for inspiration as what might happen in such a rural area, I suggest looking up the Netflix series Longmire. It is set in a fictional county of Wyoming. And while it is not "dying" like these towns on the Great Plains, I think it does a great job of showing what kind of crimes and activities can take place there while preserving its rural feel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X