Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me or those becoming a drone seem like a pretty good deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me or those becoming a drone seem like a pretty good deal?

You don’t age, your bodily flaws dissipate, along with most mental ones, you get lots of cool powers, and you don’t have a literal evil worm thing in your soul.

Even the no fee will thing can seem good as you finally have a purpose.

I mean hey, I ain't gonna yoke your goat - have a good one with Mama Spider!

Comment

Yes, but you become just another mindless cog in the Weaver. I couldn’t imagine a worse fate.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

for humans, it's definitely a great deal

humans are too weak, tire too quickly, they only exist to suffer (even if you live in luxury, someone else is suffering in your stead),
        all for what...the ability to make love? art? is it really worth it?
        maybe, maybe not, but the weaver offers the rest so many long for...so, even if it's not a good deal, it's certainly not a bad one

there might be a better deal however, and it's metamorphosis,
        transcendence of flesh an soul offered by the Tzimisce antideluvian,

we don't know the details however, it could be heaven, it could be hell, hard to tell if it would be a better or worse deal than the weaver

-

Comment

Love and art are important lol

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
            Yes, but you become just another mindless cog in the Weaver. I couldn’t imagine a worse fate.
            I can think of worst ones becoming a Fomori, being turned into a sweater in the Shadowlands, being a Sabbat Ghoul.

At least Momma Spider shields you from the pain,

And actually Drones are not personality-less, it’s just that a weaver spirt could take over at any point.

Comment

Losing your individuality and being a slave doesn't sound good to me.

I've never liked the concept of Drones. While it makes sense given the logic of the setting, it doesn't really fit into a world of Gothic Horror. It's not based on any genre elements. I can't map it to anything outside the unique metaphysics of the WoD. Therefore, I've never used it in a game. Invasion of the Body Snatchers perhaps comes the closest, but I'd still need a "trigger" that is appropriate to the genre. And I haven't figured one out. Another option is to go full blown sci-fi horror and make it a result of some buried alien artifact, or abandoned technology of an elder lost race type.

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
                Even the no fee will thing can seem good as you finally have a purpose.

There are healthier ways of helping a person address that anxiety.

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post

humans are too weak, tire too quickly

Funny thing is that humans have among the best endurance of any terrestrial animal. It would have been a major advantage in early competition with other animals; follow them until they just keel over from exhaustion.

The other advantage is adaptability. Not too weak to have taken down woolly mammoths, eh?

Originally posted by Pleiades
                they only exist to suffer (even if you live in luxury, someone else is suffering in your stead)

There are healthier ways of helping a person address that anxiety.

Originally posted by Pleiades
                all for what...the ability to make love? art? is it really worth it?

Do you not like your roleplaying games?

(I apologise if I'm responding too seriously to what is intended as statements from the perspective of a troubled fictional character who is rationalizing this position)

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post

I've never liked the concept of Drones. While it makes sense given the logic of the setting, it doesn't really fit into a world of Gothic Horror. It's not based on any genre elements. I can't map it to anything outside the unique metaphysics of the WoD. Therefore, I've never used it in a game. Invasion of the Body Snatchers perhaps comes the closest, but I'd still need a "trigger" that is appropriate to the genre. And I haven't figured one out. Another option is to go full blown sci-fi horror and make it a result of some buried alien artifact, or abandoned technology of an elder lost race type.
                When you say Gothic Horror here, are you confining yourself to Edgar Allen Poe or what?

It seems a strange thing to me to dislike one specific element of Werewolf: the Apocalypse for not having a basis in Gothic Horror when... do the shamanistic environmentalist werewolves have one?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

It’s funny you guys should mention this. I’m actually gonna buy Possessed soon, but even before reading it I know I wouldn’t want to give away my humanity to follow one of the Triat. Especially the Weaver. Maybe I could be a Kami, but even that involves getting rid of your humanity to become a force of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                    It seems a strange thing to me to dislike one specific element of Werewolf: the Apocalypse for not having a basis in Gothic Horror when... do the shamanistic environmentalist werewolves have one?
                    Except the shamanism and nature worship are natural parts of the setting because they are based on real life. One can do a Gothic Horror story or game setting using those elements, because those are real world elements. Even if in this case it applies to fictional werewolves rather than people. It is not an "artificial" construct like Drones which requires established canon and continuity. It is a unique and creative interpretation of the werewolf myth, but not out of line with the concept.

Most of the elements that make up W:tA can be directly applied to existing genre concepts. Those elements just quantify them or explain them in a coherent setting. So to me, they appear organic.

I don't find Drones to be organic to the setting because there isn't really folklore or pop culture surrounding people suddenly being "assimilated" by some mysterious force. Certain kinds of science fiction may have something like, but it is always based on some concrete element - like the Borg on Star Trek.

I keep to the "index card rule" in terms of setting elements. If I bring someone new to the table to play the game, I want to be able to clearly and concisely explain it to the new person, who has zero background on the game, in a way that it could fit on an index card with nice big, legible letters. I think I can do that with most concepts in the game, that the person accepts as being part of the Gothic horror tradition, and not be asked follow up questions. Some of that is because people can bring in concepts they already know and understand from pop culture and folklore. But I don't think I can do that with Drones. It relies on too many things specific to the game as opposed to being something organic to the genre. I would have to keep adding explanation upon explanation until I run out of run on the index card. It only makes sense when you already have the concept of the Weaver, which you then have to explain, and then you have to explain the Triat, and then you need to compare Drones to the Fomori and explain them, because only once you have the concept of Fomori down does it make sense why the Weaver has its own version.

For other examples, it is easy to use comics, and the differences between certain characters. I can easily fit an explanation of the Thing onto an Index. He is an engineer and test pilot who was exposed to strange cosmic radiation during a space flight where he gained super powers of strength and toughness at the cost of looking like a monster. But what about a character like Cable? I have to bring in this convoluted backstory referring to specific other characters, time travel, alternate realities, and who knows what else. Cable, as a character, can only make sense with 25+ years of continuity. The Thing, on the other hand, is much simply to explain. In my mind, this makes the Thing a much stronger and better character. A character like the Thing could conceivably fit in almost any superhero (or even other genre) setting. Cable can only work int he specific continuity of Marvel, and only after various events happened there. It's one reason why there are SO MANY variants of the Thing out there as homages to the character in other universes. (The same can be said for many classic characters.) But there's no Cable homages because the character can't work unless there's Cyclops, Jean Grey, the Days of Future Past storyline, etc.

I think Drones are like Cable. They require very specific references to other unique WoD elements. It's not something one would "get" if you told them about a game where you play classic monsters like vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and mummies. To me, it seems like a jarring element and takes me out of suspension of disbelief. The same way as if I included a Dune spiceworm. Neither Drones nor the Dune spiceworm make sense to this setting, in my mind.

Like always, everyone's taste is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post

Except the shamanism and nature worship are natural parts of the setting because they are based on real life. One can do a Gothic Horror story or game setting using those elements, because those are real world elements. Even if in this case it applies to fictional werewolves rather than people. It is not an "artificial" construct like Drones which requires established canon and continuity. It is a unique and creative interpretation of the werewolf myth, but not out of line with the concept.

Most of the elements that make up W:tA can be directly applied to existing genre concepts. Those elements just quantify them or explain them in a coherent setting. So to me, they appear organic.

I don't find Drones to be organic to the setting because there isn't really folklore or pop culture surrounding people suddenly being "assimilated" by some mysterious force. Certain kinds of science fiction may have something like, but it is always based on some concrete element - like the Borg on Star Trek.

I keep to the "index card rule" in terms of setting elements. If I bring someone new to the table to play the game, I want to be able to clearly and concisely explain it to the new person, who has zero background on the game, in a way that it could fit on an index card with nice big, legible letters. I think I can do that with most concepts in the game, that the person accepts as being part of the Gothic horror tradition, and not be asked follow up questions. Some of that is because people can bring in concepts they already know and understand from pop culture and folklore. But I don't think I can do that with Drones. It relies on too many things specific to the game as opposed to being something organic to the genre. I would have to keep adding explanation upon explanation until I run out of run on the index card. It only makes sense when you already have the concept of the Weaver, which you then have to explain, and then you have to explain the Triat, and then you need to compare Drones to the Fomori and explain them, because only once you have the concept of Fomori down does it make sense why the Weaver has its own version.

For other examples, it is easy to use comics, and the differences between certain characters. I can easily fit an explanation of the Thing onto an Index. He is an engineer and test pilot who was exposed to strange cosmic radiation during a space flight where he gained super powers of strength and toughness at the cost of looking like a monster. But what about a character like Cable? I have to bring in this convoluted backstory referring to specific other characters, time travel, alternate realities, and who knows what else. Cable, as a character, can only make sense with 25+ years of continuity. The Thing, on the other hand, is much simply to explain. In my mind, this makes the Thing a much stronger and better character. A character like the Thing could conceivably fit in almost any superhero (or even other genre) setting. Cable can only work int he specific continuity of Marvel, and only after various events happened there. It's one reason why there are SO MANY variants of the Thing out there as homages to the character in other universes. (The same can be said for many classic characters.) But there's no Cable homages because the character can't work unless there's Cyclops, Jean Grey, the Days of Future Past storyline, etc.

I think Drones are like Cable. They require very specific references to other unique WoD elements. It's not something one would "get" if you told them about a game where you play classic monsters like vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and mummies. To me, it seems like a jarring element and takes me out of suspension of disbelief. The same way as if I included a Dune spiceworm. Neither Drones nor the Dune spiceworm make sense to this setting, in my mind.

Like always, everyone's taste is different.
                      You raise a very good point.

Comment

It’s funny you guys should mention this. I’m actually gonna buy Possessed soon, but even before reading it I know I wouldn’t want to give away my humanity to follow one of the Triat. Especially the Weaver. Maybe I could be a Kami, but even that involves getting rid of your humanity to become a force of nature.
                        "I would have been happy to be born a storm, or a divine threat; a mighty explosion or even a terrible hurricane. A divine force of nature without heart or pity."

Alexander Anderson, Hellsing Ultimate Episode 8

This came to mind when I saw your post I also think it somewhat reflect the broader point being discussed, immersion into "something bigger" as an escape from the struggles and pains of our individual existence.

But to respond to the point about Drones having "personality," that's not necessarily the same thing as independence, freedom, or individuality. Does it really matter that you have a 'personality' if that's only when you're 'allowed' to? If everything you do or desire is directed towards the service of the hive-mind, is your individual personality anything more than a useful tool of the greater consciousness using you as a sock puppet? Does living forever mean anything if you don't already believe in the agenda you will be forced to serve for eternity, does it mean anything if you won't be able to enjoy it for yourself?

Devil's advocate aside, I can sympathize with the position; I've often pondered whether or not I'd be willing to sacrifice my individuality for the potentially increased knowledge, experience, and awareness that a hypothetical hive-mind might possess

Comment

Kharnov weird random fact: my first boyfriend actually gave me a nickname that means “force of nature” in Greek.

But anyway. I could see the appeal of playing a character who submerges their identity into the greater reality of Gaia or one of the Triat. I just meant that I would never choose that option if I really lived in the WoD and I was offered that choice. Especially the Weaver because her values are so completely opposed to mine.

Comment

Kharnov weird random fact: my first boyfriend actually gave me a nickname that means “force of nature” in Greek.

But anyway. I could see the appeal of playing a character who submerges their identity into the greater reality of Gaia or one of the Triat. I just meant that I would never choose that option if I really lived in the WoD and I was offered that choice. Especially the Weaver because her values are so completely opposed to mine.
                            That's really cool actually But most of my post was actually responding to the original poster, I just didn't think to note as much ^_^; Broadly speaking, I agree with your position

Comment

Thanks. I agree with the points you made about Drones in response to the OP.

Comment

Working...
                              X