Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me or those becoming a drone seem like a pretty good deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd always presumed Drones to have been influenced in various ways by Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 1978 version), Videodrome, Tetseo the Iron Man, and the book version of The Stepford Wives and The Puppet Masters. And also the stuff like 1984, Brave New World, A Clockwork Orange, Harrison Bergeron, and the like that had a general influence on the whole WoD to some degree or another. Maybe also Jack Kirby's ideas about the Anti-Life Equation.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      Funny thing is that humans have among the best endurance of any terrestrial animal. It would have been a major advantage in early competition with other animals; follow them until they just keel over from exhaustion.

The other advantage is adaptability. Not too weak to have taken down woolly mammoths, eh?
      you're right, animals could really benifit from becoming drones,
      but they already have the gorgon and kami routes, which might arguably be a better deal for them

There are healthier ways of helping a person address that anxiety.
      I don't know what dreamworld you live in, but I want in...give me your address

-

Comment

Funny thing is that humans have among the best endurance of any terrestrial animal. It would have been a major advantage in early competition with other animals; follow them until they just keel over from exhaustion.
        Yeah, the only land animal that beats us in the long-distance department are Huskies.
        And we made them.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
        cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
        EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post

you're right, animals could really benifit from becoming drones,
          but they already have the gorgon and kami routes, which might arguably be a better deal for them

Being a Drone sounds like it would really suck (a really boring life and no free will), but you do get some cool powers. I would never do it, but if in your character’s mind the benefits outweigh the bad parts I guess go for it.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

You can't improve yourself though. Something people forget. You lose the ability to gain experience and master skills, improve your physical or mental abilities as well. The only way to improve is to return to the spiders and hope they think you need the "upgrade" as well or if you're too old of a model and are decommissioned into the patterned web

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
              I'd always presumed Drones to have been influenced in various ways by Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 1978 version), Videodrome, Tetseo the Iron Man, and the book version of The Stepford Wives and The Puppet Masters. And also the stuff like 1984, Brave New World, A Clockwork Orange, Harrison Bergeron, and the like that had a general influence on the whole WoD to some degree or another. Maybe also Jack Kirby's ideas about the Anti-Life Equation.
              I agree that these could work for similar concepts, but that their proximate causes (and Drone allegiance) are very different than adherence to the OneSong. So they can't actually be emulated well.

It's always possible something in the future may click for me, and I see how the OneSong, or some variant of the concept, could proceed from these very different origins (alien invasion, corporate intrigue, people duplicating others by androids, totalitarian politics, scientific experiments). But so far it hasn't. If it does, my implementation would be very different than how it is written in Possessed.

Comment

Well, sincerely performative cynicism it is then.

A curious assertion, don't you think? "Oh, you don't believe that your life consists solely of suffering or is impossible to sustain without the suffering of others? Well I'm here to tell you that you're wrong and living in a dream! Which is... bad and wrong for... some reason... Look, I can undermine the credibility of anything if I maintain that there's some kind of inherent ontological unreality of implicit significance to it, so my worldview is unfalsifiable!"

My address is an ongoing lifetime of accumulated experiences, observations and exercises by which I try to actively cultivate pleasurable and satisfactory scenarios and perspectives, including finding definitions for what I actually regard as satisfactory. It doesn't work all the time, but it works enough and is subject to constant refinement.

I've never had any prescribed medications myself, but those are also a thing that are reported to be a great benefit by the people who use them to help their brains function towards a state other than constant suffering.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

Being a Drone sounds like it would really suck (a really boring life and no free will), but you do get some cool powers. I would never do it, but if in your character’s mind the benefits outweigh the bad parts I guess go for it.
                  pretty sure drones don't feel boredom, the same way they don't feel "cool" for having cool powers,
                  and I don't think people become drones for the benefits,
                  as players, we may judge and weigh in the benefits (which I believe is what this thread is for),
                  but the characters simply become drones because they share their desire for order (which I believe is not what this thread aims to discuss)

as for free will, you'll have to check the autonomy mechanics to make your own opinion on the subject

My address is an ongoing lifetime of accumulated experiences, observations and exercises by which I try to actively cultivate pleasurable and satisfactory scenarios and perspectives, including finding definitions for what I actually regard as satisfactory.
                  then for the sake of positivity, I'll refrain from ruining it with some cynical response

-

Comment

pretty sure drones don't feel boredom, the same way they don't feel "cool" for having cool powers,
                    and I don't think people become drones for the benefits,
                    as players, we may judge and weigh in the benefits (which I believe is what this thread is for),
                    but the characters simply become drones because they share their desire for order (which I believe is not what this thread aims to discuss)

as for free will, you'll have to check the autonomy mechanics to make your own opinion on the subject

then for the sake of positivity, I'll refrain from ruining it with some cynical response
                    Exactly! I don’t wanna not FEEL bored or cool. Not feeling anything would be Hell on Earth to me. I would never make that choice. Plus I don’t like order and routine that much either.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

I mean, is being assimilated by the Borg a good deal? You tell me.

Comment

Originally posted by Czernobog View Post
                        I mean, is being assimilated by the Borg a good deal? You tell me.
                        Yeah. I mean, even the name more or less implies being a mindless cog in a large unfeeling machine.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I should find that the arguments in favour of becoming drones, the appeal to a sense of purposelessness, weakness and a wish to surrender responsibility for those things, are almost identical to the kinds of things that are used to draw people into cults. The supernatural psychological effects seem very much like a literal expression of the fact that cults hardly ever seem to actually improve a person's livelihood or state of mind.

As a discussion on gameplay elements, it would seem strange to me for any roleplaying game to divorce benefits from the actual experience of a character, in which case the effects on personality would seem to be a significant counterbalance to things such as physical enhancements or expanded capabilities. Even if a person didn't care so much about characterisation, I should think that story scenarios of being a drone are much more contracted and less satisfying.

Oh yes, I'm sure that you could.

Comment

Oh yes, I'm sure that you could.
                            it's that easy

-

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post

I think Drones are like Cable. They require very specific references to other unique WoD elements. It's not something one would "get" if you told them about a game where you play classic monsters like vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and mummies. To me, it seems like a jarring element and takes me out of suspension of disbelief. The same way as if I included a Dune spiceworm. Neither Drones nor the Dune spiceworm make sense to this setting, in my mind.

Like always, everyone's taste is different.
                              What is your opinion on Formori then? They would seem to have all the same issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post

Except the shamanism and nature worship are natural parts of the setting because they are based on real life. One can do a Gothic Horror story or game setting using those elements, because those are real world elements.
                                Your interpretation of Gothic Horror is exceedingly broad.

Originally posted by Black Fox
                                I don't find Drones to be organic to the setting because there isn't really folklore or pop culture surrounding people suddenly being "assimilated" by some mysterious force.
                                They're people possessed by spirits. That's in the Bible.

Originally posted by Black Fox
                                I would have to keep adding explanation upon explanation until I run out of run on the index card. It only makes sense when you already have the concept of the Weaver, which you then have to explain, and then you have to explain the Triat, and then you need to compare Drones to the Fomori and explain them, because only once you have the concept of Fomori down does it make sense why the Weaver has its own version.
                                "The biggest spirits embody order, chaos and decay. Their servants possess people sometimes."

You're really making a mountain out of a molehill.

Comment

Working...
                                X