Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me or those becoming a drone seem like a pretty good deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lian View Post
    What is your opinion on Formori then? They would seem to have all the same issues.
    Fomori are just a simple way to explain monstrous humans and animals and how they can be created. You can map those monsters to traditional, easily recognize monsters found in folklore and pop culture.

The kind of creatures called Drones, however, do not easily match up.

I admit that many of the published kind of fomori don't match either. But I tend not to use those either.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      Your interpretation of Gothic Horror is exceedingly broad.
      Since the world is the canvas for the game setting, it needs to be. You can do Gothic Horror in a wilderness setting, or among shamanistic peoples. It's a matter of mood, certain themes, and certain tropes.

They're people possessed by spirits. That's in the Bible.
      Not any spirits I would normally recognize. "Spirits that turn you into the Borg," would cause a lot of people to scratch their heads. Thus requiring more a lot more information to be provided. Drones, or something like it, is not a conventional trope of Gothic Horror. Especially not one presumably based on traditional monsters from folklore like vampires, ghosts, werewolves, etc. Nor is it something that fits into typical Gothic themes of enhanced emotional response, brooding landscapes, ancient legacies, or mystery.

To me, it is detracting from the themes I enjoy most.

You're really making a mountain out of a molehill.
      It seems to me that you are the one doing that. All I am doing is not using one element that I don't think fits into the mood of the game. Why are you so bothered about how I run my own games and my own personal tastes?

Comment

Drones are really a 20th (and 21st) century phenomenon. They weren’t a recognized trope back in the 18th and 19th century when Gothic literature was taking form. You can definitely use them, they’re part of the Triat, but they’re not really Gothic.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

I just read the first page of Possessed and it literally says “Drones did not exist before the end of the 20th century.”

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post

Fomori are just a simple way to explain monstrous humans and animals and how they can be created. You can map those monsters to traditional, easily recognize monsters found in folklore and pop culture.

The kind of creatures called Drones, however, do not easily match up.

I admit that many of the published kind of fomori don't match either. But I tend not to use those either.

I think you're kind of reaching there since yeah NONE of the Formori in the books work like that. Drones I feel dig into Cosmic horror tropes I can definately see them in Lovecraftian themes a cold uncaring alien intelligence changing people into something "other". Of course this does require a Weaver focused "Werewolves from Cosmic horror" type game but then Drones requires a different focus game than Wyrm smashy.

Honestly I'd say Gorgons and Kami are the more... cable types. Especially the Kami.

Comment

I read the section on Drones in Possessed. Vampire, shapeshifter and mage Drones are actually pretty cool but I still wouldn’t want to be one.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                I read the section on Drones in Possessed. Vampire, shapeshifter and mage Drones are actually pretty cool but I still wouldn’t want to be one.

Its possession.. its not meant to sound appealing. I mean would Demon wears you as a skinsuit sound awesome even the new "you" get Demon powers?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post

This seems like a standard that is remarkably hostile towards originality.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

Its possession.. its not meant to sound appealing. I mean would Demon wears you as a skinsuit sound awesome even the new "you" get Demon powers?
                    True lol. I meant I still wouldn’t wanna play a Drone PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

True lol. I meant I still wouldn’t wanna play a Drone PC.
                      I've thought of Possessed as for people who thought holding onto Humanity in vampire was too easy and the drop there not like rollercoaster. Its a short and horrifically tragic story unless someone saves you.

Comment

@Lian That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X