X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercurial
    started a topic High Umbra spirits and the Abyss

High Umbra spirits and the Abyss

This is for a story I am writing up, but how frequently should High Umbra spirits find their way into the Abyss, which as I understand, is a Middle Umbra phenomenon. Even things that get lost in the material world can find their way there, but that is like winning a lotto ticket, as I understand. I am guessing that beings and items from the High Umbra would find it a bit easier to slip up and find themselves trapped in the Abyss, but it seems, based on my understanding, that it would only be somewhat easier than arriving their from the material world. Is this an accurate assessment, or am I missing something in my Cosmology.

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Mercurial View Post
    This is for a story I am writing up, but how frequently should High Umbra spirits find their way into the Abyss, which as I understand, is a Middle Umbra phenomenon. Even things that get lost in the material world can find their way there, but that is like winning a lotto ticket, as I understand. I am guessing that beings and items from the High Umbra would find it a bit easier to slip up and find themselves trapped in the Abyss, but it seems, based on my understanding, that it would only be somewhat easier than arriving their from the material world. Is this an accurate assessment, or am I missing something in my Cosmology.
    The Abyss is a fissure in reality, it is not limited to the near Umbra, things from all of the Tellurian can wind up there, even from the material world.

Leave a comment:

• Mercurial
    replied
    Thanks for the reply. The umbrood in question is a 3 point Ally of a mage (Djinn) who got trapped in the Abyss and was rescued. As a result, he now lives in the Chantry as a guardian, even if he does eat up a portion of the node’s Tass.

Leave a comment:

• Black Fox
    replied
    I would say that while the Near Realm of the Abyss is a Middle Umbra phenomenon, it is one of those Near Realms that have lots of ties to other umbral levels - both the Astral and the Underworld. In Mage supplements they state that the Abyss is one of those realms that is in "flux" with the Astral Plane when it transitions from the Astral Penumbra to the Vulgate. I would also say that the Abyss links to the Underworld because of connections to Oblivion and that it is possible for spirits to pass between the Abyss and the Labyrinth as a result.

So as long as the Umbrood is thematically linked to the Abyss, I wouldn't worry about it being in the Near Realm of the Abyss. If the Umbrood isn't thematically linked, then it should be much, much rarer and only present if the Umbrood is under some kind of quest or other unique reason.
    Last edited by Black Fox; 08-03-2020, 03:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X