• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock113
    started a topic How to achieve these?

How to achieve these?

1. Immortality

AFAIK Only two Gifts can achieve this partly, the Fleeing Scarab of Bubasti and Rebirthing of Theurge. But both of them are Level Six and may be very rare and risky
    A Silent Strider in Umbra book becomes immortal thorough Mummish...
    I think some Gurahl things like Rite of Long Sleep can also make this? I don't know...
    shapechangers are creatures of nature and hate immortality, I think there are not many ways to do it...

2. Raise the maximum of Gnosis and Rage

We know both of them are 10 at most, despite Breeds. But can you use something to break this? Mind you I'm not talking about some Backgrounds or Items which can RESTORE them...
    I remember a werespider in Hong Kong book, having 15 dot Blood Pool. He uses alchemy to refine it...

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Erinys View Post
    I forgot to add that for Kitsune, supposedly each rank increases your lifespan, and the only Kitsune to achieve rank 9 is immortal. That isn't practical for PCs, though.
    I will point out Kitsune have became spirits before they achieve the 9th tail, and thus became immortal before this. But yeah not very practical, they probably have sorceries around life extension, like Alchemy for instance. Tails are Ranks for them.

Also BSDs also can become spirits through ranking up, and they go up to the 9th rank as well.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    I forgot to add that for Kitsune, supposedly each rank increases your lifespan, and the only Kitsune to achieve rank 9 is immortal. That isn't practical for PCs, though.

Leave a comment:

• heinrich
    replied
    Wewaupet became sortof immortal through the (old) Spell of Life.
    Other garou disconnected and became sortof immortal, too.

Leave a comment:

• heinrich
    replied
    There is a gift, Red Talon, iirc, that allows to store additional points in either Gnosis, Willpower or Rage, without raising the actual trait.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    2. I don't know, sorry. Blood Pool might even work differently from Gnosis and Rage.

1. In Umbra Revised, the description of the Silent Strider Mummy (Wepauwet) tells how Owl came to him after his first death, and told him that his immortality is against Gaia's will. He was allowed to return to life once as a grace, because he got mummified with only the best intentions, but if he died again he would become the world's most miserable ghost, cut off from Gaia forever. This is one of the reasons he lives in the Tribal Homeland, instead of among his tribe like he planned.

So, for most shapeshifters it really isn't achievable without going against Gaia's plans for shapeshifters, or becoming a spirit like Gryffon said. The Fleeing Scarab Gift achieves "immortality" by stealing the life of the elder's victim. Becoming a ghoul requires stealing vitae from a vampire, who stole it from living humans, and almost certainly goes against Gaia. The Uktena have a level 6 Gift that turns the user permanently into an Uktena spirit, but they're no longer a werewolf or a PC - they immediately become an NPC and disappear into the Umbra forever.

The Gurahl and Mokole do have rites that allow them to hibernate for a gajillion years, but the time they get to spend awake and active in the world doesn't actually increase.

The Rokea are literally immortal in the way you seem to be asking: they can be killed but never age. However, this special power was given to them because their purpose in the cosmos is to survive, to continue existing as an exemplar of life even if everything else dies. It's as much part of being Rokea as flying is part of being Corax, but it's specific to their people.

I am guessing that there are ways to increase lifespan, however. The Mokole have a rite that de-ages the user and restores their life, although it requires ripping out and regenerating one of of their bones.
    Last edited by Erinys; 08-10-2020, 02:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gryffon15
    replied
    •Immortality

The best way for a Gaian to gain immortality is in the memory of their people.

Honor culture aside, that probably is one of the better ways. Becoming a revered ancestor allows your spirit to live on perpetually, until you finally need to ready for the Final Battle. However if the eternal adoration of your people and immortalization in story and song isn’t your thing, there are a few other ways.

There are a few Level 5 and 6 gifts like the ones you mention and the Fianna have one as well to raise their heroes from eternal slumber to fight the Final Battle. That aside though, you really have two paths. You can seek immortality through the help of Vampires, Name-Breakers, or the Fair Folk - with the natural consequences. You can also try to suitably impress an Celestine or Greater Incarna enough that it will pull some strings for you. Extraordinarily difficult, but not impossible. Of course, the Wyrm or Weaver may be more willing to help in this regard then Gaian spirits...

•Maximum

In my opinion the 10 caps in the Storyteller System are useful for keeping things within a bound of reason, with traits at 6+ being recognized as extraordinarily significant and potent. Raising these I see as natural progressions of a Changing Breeds life, anger growing as the battle drags on endlessly and Gnosis growing as they gain more Enlightened in their connection to Gaia and/or the Umbra as a whole and its significance.

However if you do want to go above these limits... I’m also going back to the earlier answer of: Celestines. That’s most likely the level of being that would be required to reach such degrees of power.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X