All Level 6 Fetishes and their resources

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
    I like the idea that Level 6 fetishes are more like unique artifacts and have some unique backstory (like those in Hammer & Klaive) or at least have an implied unique story (like Prometheus' Torch). Some of the earlier published level 6 fetishes still seem like the mass produced kind except just a little more powerful. I like the more legendary take.
    I think Hammer & Klaive defines legendary fetishes better, legendary story and power. Although “mass produced” level 6 fetishes still exist in later material, Lisamaru Balde for example

I think one of the reasons why earlier material has many mass produced ones is because they think “6” is not the peak (see Elder Stone and Earth Rattle)

I do complain about the description of the First Klaive in Hammer & Klaive. It is based on a story only found in that book and completely ignores the established canon in first and second edition material that the first klaive was created by a Fianna named Wyrmslayer during the early Bronze Age.
    IIRC Fianna version is the first fetish... but it is common that different legends exist

Comment

Originally posted by Rock113 View Post
      IIRC Fianna version is the first fetish... but it is common that different legends exist
      I wouldn't be surprised if the Fianna also created the first fetish. The Fianna have claim to a lot of "firsts". The SIlver Fangs may be kings, but the Fianna are definitely the culture heroes of the Garou.

But the Fianna definitely created the first klaive in first and second edition. The various player's guides are very clear on this. I did an entire thread on the information and changes of klaives throughout the editions. There was definitely a lot of changes through the editions. Some of the first edition facts were abandoned quite early, but second edition repeated it was a Fianna named Wyrmslayer which created the first klaive. Revised didn't mention this in the Player's Guide to Garou, but it wasn't until H&K that they just abandoned previous canon.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the Fianna also created the first fetish. The Fianna have claim to a lot of "firsts". The SIlver Fangs may be kings, but the Fianna are definitely the culture heroes of the Garou.

But the Fianna definitely created the first klaive in first and second edition. The various player's guides are very clear on this. I did an http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-classic-world-of-darkness/werewolf-the-apocalypse-aa/1378459-klaives-through-the-editions"]entire thread[/URL] on the information and changes of klaives throughout the editions. There was definitely a lot of changes through the editions. Some of the first edition facts were abandoned quite early, but second edition repeated it was a Fianna named Wyrmslayer which created the first klaive. Revised didn't mention this in the Player's Guide to Garou, but it wasn't until H&K that they just abandoned previous canon.
        They may forget it, it is common material changes throughout the editions. And I won’t surprise garou have different legends about these “firsts”

Fianna has one of the oldest recorded history (another is Children of Gaia IIRC) and should be the cultural hero

Comment

Another interesting level 6 fetish is Spear of Mokolé-Mbembe, if this is the spear Mbembe him(her?)self had, maybe we can see how boastful those legendary heroes are

Comment

There might be a political angle there as well, Black Fox. I went back and skimmed Hammer and Klaive to see if the tribe of Wind-howl (the Galliard who created the First Klaive) was ever mentioned. I might be wrong, but I think her tribe went unnamed. Maybe there's an argument to be made that she was of the Silver Fangs (or the Silver Fangs, rightly or wrongly, claim her as one of their own) so that the Fangs can claim the status of being the tribe that created the First Klaive. In doing so, the Fangs can say that the story of Wyrmslayer making the First Klaive is just Fianna tribal propaganda that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Just think of all the story potential that could come from that.

Oh, and hi, Erinys! Long time no see!

Complete Garou Gifts List, Fera Gifts List, Garou Totems List and other assorted OPP/White Wolf goodies

Comment

Maybe the Garou was One Tribe when she was alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Su-tehp View Post
                There might be a political angle there as well, Black Fox. I went back and skimmed Hammer and Klaive to see if the tribe of Wind-howl (the Galliard who created the First Klaive) was ever mentioned. I might be wrong, but I think her tribe went unnamed. Maybe there's an argument to be made that she was of the Silver Fangs (or the Silver Fangs, rightly or wrongly, claim her as one of their own) so that the Fangs can claim the status of being the tribe that created the First Klaive. In doing so, the Fangs can say that the story of Wyrmslayer making the First Klaive is just Fianna tribal propaganda that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Just think of all the story potential that could come from that.
                Hammer & Klaive tells the entire legend of Wind-howl as the book's prologue story. There it says "And the beginning is a Silver Fang story..." so it is quite clear Wind-howl is supposed to be a Silver Fang (later on, they say she's a Galliard). Besides changing the klaive maker's name, auspice, and tribe, it also changes the time. Again the story says "Spirit had been ripped bleeding from the flesh that housed it..." indicating this happened long ago right after the Severing. In previous Player's Guides, it stated outright that Gwydion Wrymslayer made the first klaive during the bronze age around three thousand years ago. So these are stories thousands of years apart.

H&K is a completely different story vastly contrary from the previous canon. I think the writer probably had just never read or forgotten about the previous lore. So he wanted to come up with his own story for it. It's a goof. (I'm surprised Ethan Skemp let it through though.)

In my own chronicles, I just ignore the story about Wind-howl. And if for any reason it ever came up, I'd just say that this Silver Fang story is actually about the creation of (possibly) the first fetish weapon (like a fang dagger or d'siah - and many others - are fetish weapons, but not klaives), and whoever confused it with a klaive was just ignorant.

(I do think disputes may good RP hooks and potential plots. That's why I included the first edition element of an exclusive group of Silver Fang Philodox craftsmen known as the Silver Forgers involved in klaive making (which was abandoned in second edition). I just changed it from being the sole makers of silver klaives (since all klaives now have silver) to Grand Klaives.)

To be honest, anyone (especially myself) who talks about "canon" at this date shouldn't take it too seriously. Not only are there many unintentional contradictions in all of the WoD game lines, each edition makes an effort to eliminate any previous canon they don't like. So if the games' own developers don't care about continuity, neither should we as players and storytellers. Choose what you want and leave the rest behind, just like your salad bar.

Even first and second edition have their discrepancies, so an ST needs to decide what's real in their own chronicles. In that previous thread on klaives I earlier linked to, I gave what was my synthesis of all materials to create the lore in own my chronicle. Different STs will pick what they like, change what they don't, and add whatever new details they need to get to a version they will use.

Comment

Working...
                X