X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock113
    started a topic All Level 6 Fetishes and their resources

All Level 6 Fetishes and their resources

I look through all books and make this list, collecting all level 6 fetishes which are detailed particularly. I don’t consider those don’t have exact level (that werebear’s item in Ways of Wolf, for example)

See below

• Black Fox
    replied
    Originally posted by Su-tehp View Post
    There might be a political angle there as well, Black Fox. I went back and skimmed Hammer and Klaive to see if the tribe of Wind-howl (the Galliard who created the First Klaive) was ever mentioned. I might be wrong, but I think her tribe went unnamed. Maybe there's an argument to be made that she was of the Silver Fangs (or the Silver Fangs, rightly or wrongly, claim her as one of their own) so that the Fangs can claim the status of being the tribe that created the First Klaive. In doing so, the Fangs can say that the story of Wyrmslayer making the First Klaive is just Fianna tribal propaganda that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Just think of all the story potential that could come from that.
    Hammer & Klaive tells the entire legend of Wind-howl as the book's prologue story. There it says "And the beginning is a Silver Fang story..." so it is quite clear Wind-howl is supposed to be a Silver Fang (later on, they say she's a Galliard). Besides changing the klaive maker's name, auspice, and tribe, it also changes the time. Again the story says "Spirit had been ripped bleeding from the flesh that housed it..." indicating this happened long ago right after the Severing. In previous Player's Guides, it stated outright that Gwydion Wrymslayer made the first klaive during the bronze age around three thousand years ago. So these are stories thousands of years apart.

H&K is a completely different story vastly contrary from the previous canon. I think the writer probably had just never read or forgotten about the previous lore. So he wanted to come up with his own story for it. It's a goof. (I'm surprised Ethan Skemp let it through though.)

In my own chronicles, I just ignore the story about Wind-howl. And if for any reason it ever came up, I'd just say that this Silver Fang story is actually about the creation of (possibly) the first fetish weapon (like a fang dagger or d'siah - and many others - are fetish weapons, but not klaives), and whoever confused it with a klaive was just ignorant.

(I do think disputes may good RP hooks and potential plots. That's why I included the first edition element of an exclusive group of Silver Fang Philodox craftsmen known as the Silver Forgers involved in klaive making (which was abandoned in second edition). I just changed it from being the sole makers of silver klaives (since all klaives now have silver) to Grand Klaives.)

To be honest, anyone (especially myself) who talks about "canon" at this date shouldn't take it too seriously. Not only are there many unintentional contradictions in all of the WoD game lines, each edition makes an effort to eliminate any previous canon they don't like. So if the games' own developers don't care about continuity, neither should we as players and storytellers. Choose what you want and leave the rest behind, just like your salad bar.

Even first and second edition have their discrepancies, so an ST needs to decide what's real in their own chronicles. In that previous thread on klaives I earlier linked to, I gave what was my synthesis of all materials to create the lore in own my chronicle. Different STs will pick what they like, change what they don't, and add whatever new details they need to get to a version they will use.

Leave a comment:

• Rock113
    replied
    Maybe the Garou was One Tribe when she was alive.

Leave a comment:

• Su-tehp
    replied
    There might be a political angle there as well, Black Fox. I went back and skimmed Hammer and Klaive to see if the tribe of Wind-howl (the Galliard who created the First Klaive) was ever mentioned. I might be wrong, but I think her tribe went unnamed. Maybe there's an argument to be made that she was of the Silver Fangs (or the Silver Fangs, rightly or wrongly, claim her as one of their own) so that the Fangs can claim the status of being the tribe that created the First Klaive. In doing so, the Fangs can say that the story of Wyrmslayer making the First Klaive is just Fianna tribal propaganda that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Just think of all the story potential that could come from that.

Oh, and hi, Erinys! Long time no see!

Leave a comment:

• Rock113
    replied
    Another interesting level 6 fetish is Spear of Mokolé-Mbembe, if this is the spear Mbembe him(her?)self had, maybe we can see how boastful those legendary heroes are

Leave a comment:

• Rock113
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Fox View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if the Fianna also created the first fetish. The Fianna have claim to a lot of "firsts". The SIlver Fangs may be kings, but the Fianna are definitely the culture heroes of the Garou.

But the Fianna definitely created the first klaive in first and second edition. The various player's guides are very clear on this. I did an http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-classic-world-of-darkness/werewolf-the-apocalypse-aa/1378459-klaives-through-the-editions"]entire thread[/URL] on the information and changes of klaives throughout the editions. There was definitely a lot of changes through the editions. Some of the first edition facts were abandoned quite early, but second edition repeated it was a Fianna named Wyrmslayer which created the first klaive. Revised didn't mention this in the Player's Guide to Garou, but it wasn't until H&K that they just abandoned previous canon.
    They may forget it, it is common material changes throughout the editions. And I won’t surprise garou have different legends about these “firsts”

Fianna has one of the oldest recorded history (another is Children of Gaia IIRC) and should be the cultural hero

Leave a comment:

• Black Fox
    replied
    Originally posted by Rock113 View Post
    IIRC Fianna version is the first fetish... but it is common that different legends exist
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Fianna also created the first fetish. The Fianna have claim to a lot of "firsts". The SIlver Fangs may be kings, but the Fianna are definitely the culture heroes of the Garou.

But the Fianna definitely created the first klaive in first and second edition. The various player's guides are very clear on this. I did an entire thread on the information and changes of klaives throughout the editions. There was definitely a lot of changes through the editions. Some of the first edition facts were abandoned quite early, but second edition repeated it was a Fianna named Wyrmslayer which created the first klaive. Revised didn't mention this in the Player's Guide to Garou, but it wasn't until H&K that they just abandoned previous canon.

Leave a comment:

• Rock113
    replied
    I like the idea that Level 6 fetishes are more like unique artifacts and have some unique backstory (like those in Hammer & Klaive) or at least have an implied unique story (like Prometheus' Torch). Some of the earlier published level 6 fetishes still seem like the mass produced kind except just a little more powerful. I like the more legendary take.
    I think Hammer & Klaive defines legendary fetishes better, legendary story and power. Although “mass produced” level 6 fetishes still exist in later material, Lisamaru Balde for example

I think one of the reasons why earlier material has many mass produced ones is because they think “6” is not the peak (see Elder Stone and Earth Rattle)

I do complain about the description of the First Klaive in Hammer & Klaive. It is based on a story only found in that book and completely ignores the established canon in first and second edition material that the first klaive was created by a Fianna named Wyrmslayer during the early Bronze Age.
    IIRC Fianna version is the first fetish... but it is common that different legends exist

Leave a comment:

• Black Fox
    replied
    I like the idea that Level 6 fetishes are more like unique artifacts and have some unique backstory (like those in Hammer & Klaive) or at least have an implied unique story (like Prometheus' Torch). Some of the earlier published level 6 fetishes still seem like the mass produced kind except just a little more powerful. I like the more legendary take.

I do complain about the description of the First Klaive in Hammer & Klaive. It is based on a story only found in that book and completely ignores the established canon in first and second edition material that the first klaive was created by a Fianna named Wyrmslayer during the early Bronze Age. But the fetish's description can easily be revised to reflect the earlier material.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    Hi Su-tehp!

Thanks for sharing that. Here's a new factoid: Azaera's entire hive got wiped out in The Silver Crown, apparently without having released a Talon of the Wyrm. So if it's still in there, the other Spirals might or might not know about it.

Leave a comment:

• Rock113
    replied
    Originally posted by Su-tehp View Post
    This is only slightly tangental to this thread, but I found the Anti-Christ Serum to be a particularly fascinating fetish, especially since it's hinted to be the prison of a Talon of the Wyrm. I came up with a small essay detailing what little was canonically published about the (Four or Five?) Talons of the Wyrm and referenced the Anti-Christ Serum in it. You can read it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    This forum also has a topic about them:
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ns-of-the-wyrm

Leave a comment:

• Su-tehp
    replied
    This is only slightly tangental to this thread, but I found the Anti-Christ Serum to be a particularly fascinating fetish, especially since it's hinted to be the prison of a Talon of the Wyrm. I came up with a small essay detailing what little was canonically published about the (Four or Five?) Talons of the Wyrm and referenced the Anti-Christ Serum in it. You can read it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    Wow, this is so awesome. I love reading these legendary stories. Thank you Rock!

Leave a comment:

• Rock113
    replied
    Originally posted by Erinys View Post
    Hi Rock, this looks fun. Would you be willing to give each a sentence description/explanation, please?
    See above, it is massive

Leave a comment:

• Rock113
    replied
    The Knotted Thread
    The Legend: The Moirae was the correct name of the Fates, the three goddesses who controlled the lives of everyone within every world. Even the other gods and goddesses were not spared - as Clotho spun the threads of their life, Lachesis judged the length of every thread and every life, and Atropos cut the thread free to push the soul and life of every individual into the grip of death.
    According to the Legend of the Knotted Thread, one woman, a maiden Black Fury Ragabash named laneira found the Moirae, and she watched and trembled as Atropos cast aside every thread. But laneira, brave and irreverent, gathered to herself every thread and tied a knot between each one, creating a rope made of the threads of every person's soul. When the rope grew too long to hold, she knotted the threads further to shorten it, until it was nothing but knots, over and over. No one would ever again know how many threads made up the rope before she was discovered, and Atropos held a length of thread before her eyes. Ianeira, according to the Black Furies, wept with fear over the rope she had created, but stood bravely. Atropos cut the thread, and laneira died. But the Moirae could not touch the rope again because her tears were on it, and so they instead placed it far from them, where none would possess it.
    And yet it has been possessed throughout the ages, sometimes by the Black Furies, sometimes by Garou of another tribe, and sometimes by the Wyrm. It now resides on an unnamed island near Greece, one that exists only in the Umbra. It is not lost, but none can touch it for a war exists eternally around the island. Five of Pegasus's greatest servants stomp and bite at a Wyrm monster made of five headless bodies, each with one sense and their hands joined together so that all may see, hear, touch, taste and smell. As each strikes at the other should they get too close to the island, so does a great spider watch both, to see if it can sneak to the Knotted Thread in their war. Any who venture too close are destroyed by one of the three forces.
    The Fetish: As described, the Knotted Thread is a rope knotted in upon itself. Anyone who holds it holds the severed fate of millions who have lived and passed on, and may command them fittingly. By untying one knot, whoever holds the fetish may unleash the spirits of an unknown number of dead souls upon their opponents. After activation, the user immediately spends one point of Gnosis (in addition to any spent activating the fetish) and rolls 8 dice at difficulty 7. For every success, a dead soul is summoned and does a number of unsoakable aggravated health levels of damage equal to the number of successes rolled to one opponent. (So if five successes are rolled, five opponents suffer five health levels of damage.) After this, another point of Gnosis is expended and all dice that succeeded are rolled again, difficulty 7. The same effect then occurs, after which the dice that succeeded on that roll are rerolled and another Gnosis point expended, and so on until no dice succeed. The user may not choose to end the effect and stop spending Gnosis. Like Pandora's Box, once opened it may not be controlled.
    If at any point a botch is rolled, then all the dice rolled in the botch are considered successes and do their damage, but do so entirely randomly to both opponents and friends alike. Worse still, this does not end and all dice are then rerolled as if they had been successes, and all rolls following this will attack randomly too.
    Story Hooks: The Knotted Thread is unique in that all who know of its legend know where it is, yet none can touch it. Were two sides in the Island War united, the battle would end immediately, the third side destroyed. In the confusion that followed, the Knotted Thread could perhaps be seized. But of the three, the Spider is the most deceptive and clever. Would, in the desperation to bring such a weapon to Gaia's side, any of Her warriors be willing to try and make an alliance between the Wyrm and Wyld?

Source: Hammer & Klaive (WW3813), Page 117-118

The Twin Swords of Lothair
    Version I:
    Gnosis 8
    A pair of swords which must be wielded Florentine style (one in each hand); if either sword is used separately, it will bury in the ground up to the hilt. The swords have several special powers, the least of which is the ability to store up to eight points of Rage within them. They can also produce a Clap of Thunder if they are crossed in the air in the form of a cross above the head of the wielder. When activated, the swords cause aggravated wounds.

Source: Rage Across Russia (WW3105), Page 72

Version II:
    Gnosis 8
    This pair of twin swords must be wielded Florentine style. If either is used separately, it will bury itself in the ground up to its hilt. The swords cause aggravated damage, store up to 8 Rage within themselves and can act like the Gift: Clap of Thunder if they are crossed in the air above the head of the wielder.

Source: Tribebook: Silver Fangs (Revised) (WW3860), Page 98

The Yellow Veil of Karapatri
    Gnosis 7
    The figure of Karapatri is something of a cautionary one among Stargazer legends. Karapatri (also called the Lady of the Endless Dark) was an apparent luminary of the Jade Emperor's own spiritual Ministers. Some say that her blood lineage actually includes the spirit matter of the Emperor's own mystic judges. Karapatri apparently grew so sad and so angry at the way the world had become, that she decided to do something about it. She decided first to tackle the corruption within her own tribe.
    Those who Karapatri deemed "off the path" in some fashion or another received a visit from her. She never gauged one visitation the same as the next. One Stargazer may have committed so grave a crime as to have endangered a sacred caern, whereas another tribe member may have simply had too much to drink the night before. Karapatri would show up at night, and she would appear as a doppelganger of the punished. They would see themselves reflected back at them through her body, but the vision they saw of themselves would be laced with decay and rot, and their own sins could be read in Karapatri's mimicking eyes. Karapatri would achieve this effect using a gift from the Jade Emperor himself, which is this Yellow Veil.
    It's said that the Yellow Veil is never found by a Stargazer, but that the Veil itself does the finding, seeking out a worthy soul who is capable of being the punishing angel that the tribe needs at any given moment. Others suggest that the Veil works its way into the hands of a Stargazer who unknowingly has Karapatri as his own ancestor. The truth remains unclear.
    Activating this fetish causes its wearer to be seen by the viewer as being a distorted mirror image of the viewer herself. Being confronted by one's own corrupted twin has several effects. First is a terrible feeling of depression and self-loathing, which results in the removal of two temporary Willpower points. (In the case of Garou, this is also mirrored by a removal of two temporary Rage points on top of the Willpower loss.) Also, the viewer must answer all of the Veil-wearer's questions, and she must answer them truthfully (though “truth” is relative to the teller). It's important to remember that the viewer falls into a dreamlike trance and not herself when under the effects of his fetish. When the Veil-wearer is gone (or has deactivated the Veil's effects), the target is left with an unbearable desire to “do right,” though again that urge is somewhat relative to the individual. Any rolls the target makes over the following lunar cycle toward the act of “doing right” are done with an extra die.

Source: Tribebook: Stargazers (Revised) (WW3861), Page 84

Thunder’s Bracers
    Gnosis 9
    This mighty fetish is exactly what its name implies it to be - a pair of armor plates for the forearm which are tied to the storm, infused with a portion of Grandfather Thunder himself. There is, to date, only one set in existence, and the Margrave Konietzko wears them. The bracers appear to be made of a deeply stained metal, set with the teeth of an unknown creature. They are a symbol of his power, but not the source of it - the Margrave was crushing his opponents long before he created these bracers, and he will continue to do so should they leave his possession.
    Thunder's Bracers have many powers. They increase the wielder's Strength by 4 points, and the wielder may make claw attacks normally. If the wielder uses the bracers to block an attack made with a metal weapon, or with an unarmed attack, the assailant automatically suffers two levels of lethal damage due to the electrical discharge generated by the armor. Additionally, the bracers provide up to four Gnosis points to the wielder per day, which may be used as he sees fit. Finally, the wearer of the bracers may spend three Gnosis points to call forth a bolt of lightning to smite his foes. If there happen to be storm clouds overhead, the lightning comes from them; other wise, it comes from the bracers themselves. In either case, the lightning deals five levels of aggravated damage to a single target, which may not be soaked by any means.

Source: Tribebook: Shadow Lords (Revised) (WW3858), Page 81

Ulunsuti
    Gnosis 9
    The Ulunsuti is a rare, if not unique, object, for in order to get it, one of Great Uktena's most powerful children must die. On the forehead of an uktena is a clear crystal, large as a dinner plate and hard as diamond, with a blood-red streak running through the center from the top to the bottom.
    The powers ascribed to this stone are many, but chief among them is the ability to prophesy, seeing images of the future in the crystal “as a tree is reflected in the quiet stream.” In addition, the owner is said to be able to see anywhere he can name, and even cast his eye into the distant past. He is also gifted with luck in his endeavors, so long as the stone's hunger is sated.
    But as with all such power, there is a price to wield it. The Ulunsuti must be given blood every seven days (half a pint - the blood of a small animal will do), which soaks into the stone and makes the streak shimmer. Twice a year, it must drink the blood of a large animal, such as a deer. Some wise men warn that the stone must never be given more than a little human or Garou blood, for it will learn to crave only that and accept no other kind. Since no one currently admits to having an ulunsuti, there is no way to confirm this.
    If the stone isn't fed properly, it flies through the air at night and drinks its fill from the owner or his people. In addition, it is rumored to allow only its owner to touch it, attacking anyone else who ventures within reach. When not in use it must be wrapped in a whole deerskin placed in an earthen pot and hidden in a dark place (a cave is preferable). If the owner intends to store it away for a long time, he must tell the stone he won't need it for a long time, and (hopefully) it will go to sleep; it must be fed before he again tries to use it, or it will drain his blood.

Source: Tribebook: Uktena (Revised) (WW3862), Page 78-79

These two fetishes in early stuff are all higher than level six, which may due to the incomplete settings at the time. I put them here, as exceptions.
    Elder Stone
    Level 7, Gnosis 8
    This small rock is said to be a chip from the ancient stone at Table Rock, the mythical site where the Garou came together ages ago to form the Litany. It has powers to enforce the rulings made there, and any bearing it will be given voice in any moot. When activated, the bearer can roll Charisma + Leadership (difficulty 6) to give any command and have it obeyed by any Garou who hears it – even Black Spiral Dancers. Victims can make a resisted Willpower roll at difficulty 6. The command cannot cause a Garou to violate the Litany, however. The rock also gives + 2 to the bearer's soak Dice Pool - even against silver or radiation.

Source: Storytellers Handbook 1st Edition (WW3205), Page 122-123

Earth Rattle
    Level 8, Gnosis 7
    This turtle shell rattle appears as nothing more than a Native American artifact - but looks are deceiving. It is in fact one of the few remaining items of power belonging to the Croatan tribe. The mere shaking of the rattle (along with a successful activation roll) is enough to cause massive earth-quakes over the entire region, leveling buildings and swallowing whole streets. The number of successes gained on the activation roll determines the mileage of the quake (1-mile radius per success). Obviously, the quake will cause damage inestimable in simple dice roll terms. This rattle has not been shaken since the death of the Croatan. It is said that the rattle temporarily awakens the Turtle, totem of the Croatan, on whose back the very Earth is said to rest.

Source: Storytellers Handbook 1st Edition (WW3205), Page 123

Leave a comment:

Working...
X