Post Whippoorwill BSDs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Whippoorwill BSDs?

The Grondr return and Whippoorwill dies in a huge ritual similar to the one that existed in Apocalypse, but it instead involves five Grondr, over the course of five days, digesting 5 Black Spiral Dancers while standing at the heart of a level 5 Caern. Once the BSDs have lost their totem, what are some good ideas for what could happen to them. Just getting a new totem after a few years is an obvious choice, but I am looking for something more interesting. What are some interesting directions for the BSDs after they lose their totem?

They're still Wyrm oriented, but now they're technically Ronin. They haven't had the Rite of the Lone Wife performed on them (you may decide whatever the Grondr ritual did effectively did that, or not), so they may not have the full range of mechanical penalties to them. But without a tribal totem, they're effectively Ronin. A large, well organized group of Ronin.

You have to decide whether they are still eligible for learning Tribal Gifts from spirits. Or perhaps even breed and auspice. If so, they can still continue to learn Gifts, but have to do so through Garou teachers. This will anger the spirits (this is a deep law of the setting here, so even Banes friendly to the BSDs should still be angered by this) and create repercussions. But the BSDs should still have access to a lot of gifts.

They may make a concerted effort to organize the remaining Ronin, perhaps by utilizing members not well known to infiltrate the Ronin, earn their trust by teaching them Gifts, and seeing how many they can recruit this was clandestinely and turn a large portion of the Ronin against the Garou Nation.

Another option is for them to wholesale sell out to PENTEX instead of being allies to them. That'll eventually mean a very different "tribal" culture. Other potential supernatural patrons exist - the Sabbat, the Circle of Red or other Nephandic mages, Spectre cults, but I think PENTEX would be the best fit.

A third option would be for them to try to identify one of the existing Gaian tribes to turn - the Bone Gnawers are a natural target. The tribe is very laxidaisical about the things. They ignore the LItany when convenient, have half their tribe (the Rabble) not involved in fighting the war in any way. And they are notorious for inducting Garou into their tribe without any real challenge for the Rite of Passage. And there's indications there is something strange going on with Rat. It's entirely possible for BSD infiltrators to be accepted as Bone Gnawers, gain access to Rat, learn the necessary rites, and then head back to their former tribe mates and induct all of them into the tribe of Rat and work within to cause that totem to fall to the Wyrm. Given the BSDs are far more dedicated and organized than the BGs as a whole, they stand a decent chance of pulling it off. Technically this is a "get a new totem" scenario, but it's sufficiently different I think it counts as something else. It's certainly something that would lead to a major chronicle.

If I can think of more, I'll add them.

Comment

I'll add a question myself: If the wyrm is so more active than gaia, why it would let the BSD without a totem for years? I know that the wyrm has many pawns, and BSD are only one of them. But they are valuable paws. Why wouldn't a totem offer itself as a totem right the next day? Some spirits could see a advantage to becoming a tribe totem, no?

I could understand it not happening to gaian tribes, but the wyrm is trying hard to impose it will, the same to the weaver.

Comment

Thanks, Black Fox, these are exactly the sort of ideas I was looking for. Give me any other ideas you can think of.

Originally posted by Rucun View Post
        I'll add a question myself: If the wyrm is so more active than gaia, why it would let the BSD without a totem for years? I know that the wyrm has many pawns, and BSD are only one of them. But they are valuable paws. Why wouldn't a totem offer itself as a totem right the next day? Some spirits could see a advantage to becoming a tribe totem, no?

I could understand it not happening to gaian tribes, but the wyrm is trying hard to impose it will, the same to the weaver.
        Aside from making it clear the Garou got a win, because no one is quite sure how the Garou took out Whippoorwill, and this might make them gun shy about taking up the reins of the BSDs until the Wyrm Incarna can be sure that the same fate will not befall them if they become the new patron for the BSDs?

Comment

I think the Beads would fracture. Being the largest tribe it seems ideological splits would be possible and I think different heads of the Hydra would want to control the Garou.

So, they were always associated with the Beast of War and I think the Green Dragon stepping up would be a good replacement. I think a spirit of Famine or possibly even the spiritual imprint of Pentex would be a great choice for the Eater of Souls. The Defiler would be a bit harder. Possibly Bat? Given he is a fallen totem and corrupt but I'm sure there are better ones if I did some reading

Comment

Working...
          X