Glass Walker Caerns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Walker Caerns

I'm wondering exactly a Caern operated by exclusively Glass Walkers would be like. Would it be unreasonable that they could be rooftop gardens? Or a garden like plaza in the middle of a highrise? Could it be whole floor in a skyscraper?

All of those have been canon Glasswalker Caerns.

Comment

"Caern" is a bit nebulous because it includes a lot of things - not just the "caern heart", but the bawn, graves of the hallowed heroes, living area, shrines, assembly area, etc.

Most of that is very flexible and can include artificial structures. I think usually though what most people mean is the caern heart, and that can become difficult because the caern heart is supposed to be the sacred space that embodies or manifests the caern's purpose and totem spirit. You have to ask yourself whether it is an appropriate spot for that.

Urban caerns can be strange because not all are actually aligned with urban or Weaverish concepts. Sometimes they can be things that go against that grain like the Central Park Caern in New York; or they can be remnants of previous wilderness caerns that were later paved over like the Smiling Buddha caern, or which is contained in a park like the Great Caern both in Vancouver.

I would assume any caern based in an actual building, especially a modern skycraper, would be something much more aligned to particularly Weaverish concepts and spirits. But one should remember that skyscrapers and such tend to take a long time to appear in the Penumbra. So there are issues on what is on the other side in the Penumbra so people don't fall to their doom. Think carefully about making any man made structures - as opposed to land - part of the caern, as you'll want structures that are spiritually significant enough to reflect in the Penumbra and be appropriate "vessel" for the caern heart and totem spirit.

Comment

The Caern we designed for Frankfurt/Main sept in our LARP game is basically a city block. All the buildings belong to the sept through shell companies. The backstreet between all this buildings is partly a park/garden, under a glass roof. There the Cearn Heart. All other parts of the caern's infrastructure are hidden in these buildings, but it also is housing the Central House packs of the sept, as well as guests. The packs associated with the House of Rightful Justice and the House of Urban Defence operate from different sites and only visit the Caern for business.

Comment

Glass Walker caerns are almost always urban caerns with all the benefits and pitfalls that applies. Like any other caern they need to be nested in an area of strong spiritual power and connection to Gaia; although the GW aren’t necessarily opposed to a bit of aid from the Weaver to get the job done.

Anything from bars, hidden gardens, meditation centers, a server bay, a factory, or a record storage center could potentially become hearts for a Glass Walker caern is enough gnosis and spiritual activity is available.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahjemm01 View Post
            I'm wondering exactly a Caern operated by exclusively Glass Walkers would be like. Would it be unreasonable that they could be rooftop gardens? Or a garden like plaza in the middle of a highrise? Could it be whole floor in a skyscraper?
            Yes all of those. It’s heart could even be held in the secret executive washroom, anything is possible. The interesting thing is many are high up as they are in towers which kind of shows that they have established Caerns over the last century.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
              Yes all of those. It’s heart could even be held in the secret executive washroom, anything is possible. The interesting thing is many are high up as they are in towers which kind of shows that they have established Caerns over the last century.
              Which is kind of logic problem....

The Rite of Caern Building would attract all kind of wyrmish enemies and lead to a huge battle... well, at least that is what the Rite write-up conveyed in the older Player's guides. Some riots or terrorist attacks might have been such Caern building attempts ... or what the NWO made the public think about such Rites.

Sure, there might have been a lot of Glass Walkers who deduced that there might be some "place of Power" some hundred feet above ground and decided to build a skyscraper there and then hone the places energies with the Geomancy Skill from Stargazer TB 1st Edition until it somehow silently became a Caern... But how often should this happen, really.

But, with the Rokea having caerns somewhere underwater, there might just as well be some random place somewhere in the atmosphere a cearn of rage - for some reason. The MIR was a hive, so everything is possible.... doesn't mean it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich View Post
                The Rite of Caern Building would attract all kind of wyrmish enemies and lead to a huge battle... well, at least that is what the Rite write-up conveyed in the older Player's guides. Some riots or terrorist attacks might have been such Caern building attempts ... or what the NWO made the public think about such Rites.
                You are correct, but I've found this part of the rite description to be problematic. Does it really make sense that every time the Rite created a caern, that all the Wyrm minions in the area swarmed to attack? In many cases, I would argue this wouldn't make sense.

The authors of that rite description obviously wanted a good storytelling angle to cap such an important even in a chronicle. And that was probably reinforced by the idea that PCs (and the Garou in general) shouldn't be able to create caerns willy-nilly, so they wanted something to restrain PCs from doing so.

But I don't think they found the right balance. I think there are other ways to limit the use of the Rite (to create caerns) without forcing all the Wyrm minions in a local area swarming the new caern like it's the Battle of Verdun.

And while I do like the idea that there is a hazard in creating the caern, I think the swarm attack should simply be an option, but not the only one. I do like the idea that spiritually sensitive creatures would sense some local disturbance or power; and perhaps the more unintelligent minions (like certain fomori or monsters, or certain Banes) may be compelled to attack immediately, or outright servants with allegiance to foul powers (infernalist Vampires, many kinds of Banes, Spectre cults, BSDs) may be instructed to destroy/violate the caern (though they can take time to make these plots and need not be ready to do so immediately), but other Wyrm minions may not do anything at all once the sensation passes. After all, it'd be a very strange Vampire chronicle if the ST told the PCs they felt compelled to immediately go someplace they've never been to before and fight Lupines for an unknown reason to them.

A Wyrm attack swarm should be an option for the ST, not what always happens. The game needs other methods to introduce peril or excitement that has a "pay off" for PCs who spent the time, effort, and resources to create a new caern.

I know this is diverting the topic a bit. But I felt it important to address it since it is relevant. I'm just saying an ST can keep to the theme of the Rite, but improve upon it so it doesn't lead to the exact problem you're speaking about. RAW, you're correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
                  After all, it'd be a very strange Vampire chronicle if the ST told the PCs they felt compelled to immediately go someplace they've never been to before....
                  Ah, so that's what happens to all the Elders in Vampire 5th.... Now it makes sense...

In my head canon there are proto-Caerns, like Places of Power that aren't active so far, but can be Cearns if tended to correctly. The Feng Shui/Geomancy Skill would allow for that and my opinion is, that not only Star Gazers learn that, but some Theurge here and there also learns practices appropriate for his ethnic background to manipulate local energies.

The Rite on the other hand is actively altering reality, warping existing energy flows to form a caern. It is clearly something that would be known days or even weeks before to those who engage in divination. And that is why the Wyrms minions might be attacking. A new stronghold of garou is something they really can't allow - or shouldn't tolerate.

But, caerns are something intangible that different authors had different ideas of, regarding how they work, how often they are and so on. I mean, back in 1st Edtions Rite of Passage, the standard Rite for a Black Fury was to find a lost caern, iirc. There are mentions, iirc, that caerns were hidden, sealed or made dormant by garou or fera, if a location had to be abandoned. But no rules are ever given - except for Star Gazers who can eat caerns, with a Rite, to carry them someplace else....

Weird stuff....

In our LARP game, just FYI, we assume that our sept's caern is the newest in the world, having been build in the 1970s via the Rite of Caern Building. Other chronicles we play with, all have older caerns, or found and re-activated dormant ones. Except for the now-defunct Bone Gnawer chronicle, who never had a caern.

Comment

In my game, the Caern held by an allied Sept of Glass Walkers is in an old, 2-story bank building that was built in the early 1900s. The bank (in Charlotte, NC - a significant financial hub) was one of the few that served everyone and offered rates & services that appealed widely to the working class. Naturally, it was set upon by competitors and went out of business, but it fought the good fight long enough to leave a spiritual impression. When the Glass Walkers surveyed the city for prospective sites, they noticed the potential of the old building, bought it, and modernized it. Then they invited O' Mighty Dolla to be the Caern Totem due to the financial significance of the location.

The entire building and its grounds are the Caern and its bawn. It houses a security company run by the Garou and their kin, so is an active and vital location these days. The private detective and mercenary activities are strictly cash only. The public-facing tech security company has its digital payments converted to cash, which are brought in weekly to be displayed at each moot and offered in-part as tribute to the Totem. This cash transfer is a poorly-guarded secret on purpose, and Ragabash at the Sept delight in catching would-be thieves looking for a big score. Said thieves get to take part in the ritual hunt during the moot...

The grounds have tree-line surrounding the building and a small graveyard for the ashes of notable kin. The roof is covered in solar panels and the Sept invests in a local solar cooperative. Inside, the graves of the hallowed heroes are in the former vault, with urns for the ashes of all fallen Garou. Accessing the Computer Web is ridiculously easy from the site, and a small legion of tech spirits patrol the digital bawn. Every appliance is Awakened, and the coffee pot is both a brilliant conversationalist and the most-bribed spirit aside from the totem itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X