Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you be cool with a large focus on Ronin on 5th edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you be cool with a large focus on Ronin on 5th edition?

It occurred to me that since vampire 5e gave thin bloods and caitiff more of the spotlight,they might do the same to Ronin. Would you be interested on playing werewolves who don't much care for the war with the wyrm and want to do their own thing?

I don’t, know packs and tribes seem more important to werewolf, then clans are to vampire.

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
      I don’t, know packs and tribes seem more important to werewolf, then clans are to vampire.
      that makes sense,i'm still very new to this game so i thought i'd ask.

Comment

I think the game should give more consideration as to the playing of ronin by a group of PCs in the setting, and tools and advice on how a Ronin PC might fit in a chronicle that is otherwise based on traditional Garou in a pack.

That doesn't mean Ronin have to be a more prominent element in the setting (higher population). Just that an ST should have more more tools and advice on how run a chronicle when at least one PC is Ronin. And that there should be more thought about how to use NPC Ronin in a chronicle. There are interesting things to explore with them. I would also add Lunatics and Lost Cubs to that list as well. Too often these setting elements were neglected.

Comment

Ronin aren't the equivalent that being said people just saying "Fuck it I'm out" should perhaps be a larger part of the setting than is currently an issue. People who've given up on gaia and not decided to go all tenticlely. Serving the wyrm is ALOT of work.

Comment

No. No interest at all. But then I have no interest in Thinbloods either, especially V5s version of them.

Comment

V5 ruined thinbloods for me. So no, i would not appreciate the ronin getting some spotlight and some cool gimicks in the name of equality.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
              There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Different TYPES of ronin, yes. But not more focus on them, because WtA exists in its lore more than VtM.

Having ronin be varied from those who refuse their wolf nature, those who hate the Nation, those who want to be cured, those exiled,etc. would be great. But playing a ronin is not playing 90% of the game.

So much of WtA is the pack, the sept, the tribes, the spirits and the politics. A ronin MAYBE has a pride (ronin pack), no sept, no tribe and spirits do not tolerate them. Nevermind rising in rank, given renown is VERY hard for ronin to get.

A vampire might benefit from their coterie, they might benefit from either Sabbat, Anarch or Camarilla. But they aren't barred from learning powers the same way a ronin is. Vampire powers are internal, werewolf powers are external and rely on community.
                Last edited by Ana Mizuki; 10-15-2020, 03:36 AM.

My gallery.

Comment

More consideration. Not a focus.
                  From what I'm learning from Heart of the forest It seems that some kind of extermination or little apocalypse happened, due to the very low numbers of garou and from what they say.
                  To focus too much on ronin would be' out of contest and illogical If the tribe themselves have no great numbers.

-'' We are the unsullied.
                  We are the inheritors.
                  We are the Pure ''-

Comment

Originally posted by Helur View Post
                    More consideration. Not a focus.
                    From what I'm learning from Heart of the forest It seems that some kind of extermination or little apocalypse happened, due to the very low numbers of garou and from what they say.
                    Ugh..........

Comment

Ugh.... indeed.

I foresee an even grater focus on lost cubs and untraditional garou due to being only partially educated in the ways of the tribes.....

So, basically not-really-ronin-but-ronin-adjacent characters.

Personally, I think it can be a nice chronicle to play a Ronin-only game. It is to much of an distraction to have a Ronin in a game with tribal garou, if those are traditionalist, like they are supposed to be. I mean, if a guest joins the group for a game or two, okay, but that's it.
                      Unlike Caitiff, who don't have Clan association, but want to and have to be in vampire society a Ronin is opposed to garou society and therefore there is little common ground, unless the ST comes up with a shared enemy, again and again.

And sure, there are different kinds of Ronin. Those raised by Ronin, those expelled from tribe and sept, those lost cubs who were never found, those who failed or never attempted a Rite of Passage. But just like vampires can remove themselves from society, as can garou without loosing their tribe (although they loose renown).
                      Do I need more infos on them, well, might be nice to read about what authors think about these cases and how they are treated by garou. Do they need to be a focus of the game, hell no.

I surely hope they do not incorporate BNS's WtA Setting into W5, just because it was what Martin Ericsson left for them. Because it wasn't WtA, even less than V5 is VtM.

Comment

I just have a feeling that not all Tribes will be available from the start. In fact, I distinctly feel that one Tribe might have all but disappeared, and that the Totem will not longer accept new cubs. These cubs then chose to remain Tribeless Ronin as a result. They still have their Auspices and roles, as well as packs, just no Tribe. Ronin will become the term for a Garou without a Tribe, but who still follows Gaia in every other way. Having only seven to nine Tribes available at the start, along with Tribeless, would balance it out with V5. The other Tribes would be introduced in further supplements. (I also feel that only Homid breed will be available at the start as well. Lupus will be included later. And Metis... Well, whatever happened to cause one Tribe to fail would have been a way to finally bind the Defiler Wyrm. No more Metis births, only Kinfolk. No new Metis, only older veteran NPCs.)

THWarted

Comment

Well, I don't see why the hell it should be balanced out with V5. They are two separate games....

A de-facto-caitiff tribe really is unnecessary, if the core rules would be better in conveying the tribal principles better. I mean basically each tribe can fit a myriad of concepts, but especially Black Furies and Children of Gaia, for the more traditional tribes, and Bone Gnawer and Glass Walkers have really not that restrictive entries into the tribe and work with pretty much any concept and are also fairly suited for garou with loose ties to septs and garou life as well as close ones.

Being not that woven into garou society could be a Merit or a Flaw or both, depending on concept.

If the meta plot really would get rid of Metis breed, I'd be actually okay with that. If lupus breed goes, I'm okay with that, too. I never found them worthwhile as character options besides the special snowflake appeal and especially Metis as PCs force the other players who want to play traditionally educated garou to be hostile against another PC and that is a theme players usually don't want in the game. So, if they are gone, good.

Let's focus on making interesting homid snow flakes.

And, there is always the option that a ST and Player start with cubs and find a suitable tribe in play before the Rite of Passage.
                          Last edited by heinrich; 10-18-2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Weingarten View Post
                            I just have a feeling that not all Tribes will be available from the start. In fact, I distinctly feel that one Tribe might have all but disappeared, and that the Totem will not longer accept new cubs. These cubs then chose to remain Tribeless Ronin as a result. They still have their Auspices and roles, as well as packs, just no Tribe. Ronin will become the term for a Garou without a Tribe, but who still follows Gaia in every other way. Having only seven to nine Tribes available at the start, along with Tribeless, would balance it out with V5. The other Tribes would be introduced in further supplements. (I also feel that only Homid breed will be available at the start as well. Lupus will be included later. And Metis... Well, whatever happened to cause one Tribe to fail would have been a way to finally bind the Defiler Wyrm. No more Metis births, only Kinfolk. No new Metis, only older veteran NPCs.)
                            I wish you are wrong but I too think this is what will happen =(

Comment

Ronin are awesome and I would love it.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Working...
                              X