Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official Werewolf: Heart of the Forest thread (was: Found This Game On Steam...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Damian May View Post
    Did I say there was anything wrong with it? Its a fairly competently made visual novel that is better than the majority of other WoD visual novels. Your the one who maintains its the best thing ever put out for WtA.

And yes, reasoning and interpersonal bonds rather than violence nicely sums up the last 25 years of my WtA campaigns...so the attempted dig doesn't really apply, sorry.
    Why do you think it's a dig? I'm sincerely asking your opinion.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

You literally just said that I am focused on the claw ( violence) and not the voice ( other methods) I'm not sure how else to take that.

I've given my opinion...its a snapshot of a small area of Poland that is not particularly applicable to WtA in general, its a competently written VN and a relatively inoffensive ( barring heavy stereotyping) way to waste a few hours on your PC...though it would honestly make a better phone/tablet given its VN nature.
      Last edited by Damian May; 10-27-2020, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Damian May View Post
        You literally just said that I am focused on the claw ( violence) and not the voice ( other methods) I'm not sure how else to take that.

I've given my opinion...its a snapshot of a small area of Poland that is not particularly applicable to WtA in general, its a competently written VN and a relatively unoffensive ( barring heavy stereotyping) way to waste a few hours on your PC...though it would honestly make a better phone/tablet given its VN nature.
        I was praising the game, not belittling you.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

If the Get of Fenris has gone the Ravnos route, then I am afraid I will not commit to W5...

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
            It's possible the Get are the Garou Tribe that falls to the Wyrm.
            Oh no, but HELL NO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gangrel44 View Post
              If the Get of Fenris has gone the Ravnos route, then I am afraid I will not commit to W5...
              Its unlikely since apparently you can join the GOF as an Achievement.

That's a big relief because the Get are a favorite tribe of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Why is it not reassuring? This is arguably the best thing ever made for Werewolf not based around Pentex.
                THIS is the best thing ever made for Werewolf?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Bro! What're you talking about?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, its good (as a Visual Novel can get)- but this is a crazy thing to say.
                Last edited by Shakanaka; 10-27-2020, 08:51 AM.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1171889/6...-of-the-forest

Here's 25 Years of Vampire: The Masquerade's review. Bob is really coming into his own as the host and with a new cast.

Comment

I don't understand you guys. CTPhipps just said that he thinks HotF is the best thing, not based around Pentex. Outside of TTRPG stuff and novels, there was little to none types of media presenting WTA. By omission, he's right. Until we get a movie, a TV show, or another videogame that won't be based around Pentex [like Earthbound] HotF is arguably the best thing.

also, Fera or bust for W5

Constantinople was not a mistake.

Comment

I am a decent werewolf fan and it actually influenced some of my writing (I wrote some weredeer urban fantasy). I love the Umbra, tribes, and all the other wonderful things that make W:TA fine but I do think it's a game that has never had its really amazing qualities explored by a supplement. Perhaps I've overstating that I think THIS game (more so than Earthblood) will be the thing that leads people to love W:TA the way Bloodlines did V:TM but I really just loved how "real" and "relevant" this visual novel was. The art style just blew me away as well.

For me, it gets right to the heart of the Garou experience.

My only regret is it seems to end right as you are getting interesting. I wish this had been twice or even three times as long.

Comment

He said it as an objective fact and that's debatable. Also WtA is a tabletop game, so its primary fiat is IN TTRPG material. It's represented within its own line so I don't see how this mere Visual Novel tops all the stuff we've seen from WtA. The game isn't defined by "movies, TV shows, or video-games," this logic is just nonsense. Pentex was never even the primary best part of in my OPINION (key word opinion and not a declaration of being objective "fact") of WtA, it was the Umbra and the Triat. Pentex is only a small part in the scheme of things in the first place.

On this novel itself- you can't even choose make your own character, I don't even know if you fight Banes (which is a HUGE part of the game), can you even side-step in this, and from what I hear so far its merely a soapy game at large- far from what WtA is sheeted on. So its VERY funny to call this the "best thing of Werewolf".

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by Shakanaka View Post
                          He said it as an objective fact and that's debatable. Also WtA is a tabletop game, so its primary fiat is IN TTRPG material. It's represented within its own line so I don't see how this mere Visual Novel tops all the stuff we've seen from WtA. The game isn't defined by "movies, TV shows, or video-games," this logic is just nonsense. Pentex was never even the primary best part of in my OPINION (key word opinion and not a declaration of being objective "fact") of WtA, it was the Umbra and the Triat. Pentex is only a small part in the scheme of things in the first place.

On this novel itself- you can't even choose make your own character, I don't even know if you fight Banes (which is a HUGE part of the game), can you even side-step in this, and from what I hear so far its merely a soapy game at large- far from what WtA is sheeted on. So its VERY funny to call this the "best thing of Werewolf".
                          I feel like you should probably play it before you make a values judgement on it. The visual novel basically amounts to being a Lost Cub's Rite of Passage and how they must deal with their ancestry as well as stopping the destruction of a forest that is an ancient powerful spirit falling to the Wyrm. There's numerous Bane fights in your vision quest but they aren't important because you tear through them.

The bigger issue is stopping the logging company that is possibly Pentex, possibly not.

Maya is notably also a blank slate for you to make into a Rage-filled monster or a Philodox or Ragabash or whatever. Her characteristics are determined by your choices.
                          Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-27-2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I'll probably get it later on then and see for myself. Hopefully I'll get Theurge. Though I still stand on it not being the "best" of Werewolf outright.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by Shakanaka View Post
                              I'll probably get it later on then and see for myself. Hopefully I'll get Theurge. Though I still stand on it not being the "best" of Werewolf outright.
                              Eh, my previous "Best of Werewolf" is Subsidiaries and Rage across Russia.

So up to you what you think of my taste.

Comment

'Rage across Russia'?
                                They started the whole Uktena and Wendigo outside the americas thing, because they wanted them as playable options within the Shadow Curtain. Lame...

I only played the Demo, but bought the full version recently. From the demo it was a fine game within the genre of an interactive story. I wouldn't have minded a thoughtful German translation nor a full audio in English or German. But that is from a computer games standpoint. From a roleplaying standpoint and a werewolf standpoint it was very nice. It is comparable to how I would roleplay an introduction with a single player, especially one who never played WtA before.

Doesn't mean I like the games implications for W5...

Comment

Working...
                                X