X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [W20] Gifts questions

Some questions arise when reviewing gifts:
    1. Razor Claws.
      "All claw attacks do two additional dice of damage and are made at –1 difficulty for the rest of the scene."
      The -1 difficulty is for the attack rolls and/or the damage rolls?
    2. Kiss of Helios.
      "Additionally, she may ignite any portion of her body and keep it burning as she desires.... The character inflicts two additional dice of aggravated damage with burning attacks."
      Does the gift grant the ability to auto ignite a part of the body, or do you have to set that body part on fire using fuel and ignition?
    3. Coup de Grace
      "difficulty of the target’s Stamina + Athletics"
      What happens if the target Stamina + Athletics is higher than 10? Auto failure, difficulty caps at 10, or extra successes needed?
    Thanks for the time invested.

1. I'd say attack rolls are made at -1 difficulty. Damage die usually don't change the difficulty and I wouldn't start opening this can of worms, aside from special damage sources like fire and such. But, I have played in groups that went with damage dice against 5 when employing Razor Claws.
    2. It is a level five gift and probably was around even centuries before easy means of igniting something though artificial means were around. No, I guess that the fire just starts if the garou wants it to.
    3. ST'c choice. I think there is no rule for that in W20. Iirc, MtA revised was the only system that ever addressed difficulties above 10, for MtA and CtD are the systems where most magic is heavily influenced be outside factors and difficulties are adjusted often. There, if memory serves, it is suggested to cap difficulties at 9 and require more successes for each increase of difficulty that is lost to the cap. So difficulty 12 would be difficulty 9 plus 3 successes for a failure but each additional success would be a regular success.

Comment

1. The attack is at -1 difficulty, not the damage, by a strict parsing of the text.

2. Auto-ignite for sure.

3. ST's choice on 10 or auto-fail, or to import the Threshold rules from Mage. While it isn't always going to solve the problem, I heavily suggest using a house rule where these are always based on Homd-form Attributes, not form modified ones. Running into characters with base Stamina + Athletics 11 or higher is going to be very rare in a pure WtA game.

Comment

Thanks for the answers!

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
          3. ST's choice on 10 or auto-fail, or to import the Threshold rules from Mage. While it isn't always going to solve the problem, I heavily suggest using a house rule where these are always based on Homd-form Attributes, not form modified ones. Running into characters with base Stamina + Athletics 11 or higher is going to be very rare in a pure WtA game.
          That is also how our LARP game would handle such mechanics. Always use homid stats, not form bonuses. But bonuses from Merits, totems and potentially other sources are factored in...

Comment

Working...
          X