So, how many fera out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, how many fera out there?

We roughly know how many werewolves there are out there. Storyteller's handbook gives us an average 15k werewolves alive, which can be scaled up to 20k or down to 10k, depending on wheter the storyteller wants a more or less desperate setting.
    Tribes size goes from 500 (Stargazers) to 2000 (Bone Gnawers).

And that is fine. But do we have any canonical statement for the others Fera? I know that as a rule of thumb the Ratkin should be the most numerous among them, while some breed like the Ajaba should be almost extinct.

Ah, I'm searching for canonic answers, so nothing like "as many as you need". I just want to know if the setting has ever spilled some hard numbers about this.
    Last edited by Undead rabbit; 01-10-2021, 07:55 AM.

I don’t think there is an official count in canon. Unlike the Garou, the Fera are not one Nation.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

The number gauges regarding which "X" supernatural in White Wolf books have always been a not really necessary or useful part of the franchise as a whole. For the Fera (which I admittedly find more interesting in some cases, but not all) don't even have canonical sources so what you're asking for is frankly moot. So essentially despite not asking for it, you DO have to go by "as many as you need" for this situation. One tip I'll say is affirming what you said; Ratkin definitely (and realistically) would be the most numerous shape-changers in the oWoD universe. Corax would be the second most. For the rest of the Fera... you'll more or less have to judgment call for yourself.
      Last edited by Shakanaka; 01-11-2021, 12:50 AM.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Yeah, but Corax have that thing with the eggs. They need a whole Rite in order to breed a new Corax. So they might not be that common.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Ajaba were almost wiped out.. they are also the most fertile of Fera. Canonically if 2 Kinfolk breed they have a 1/3 chance of an Ajaba even if a single kinfolk has a relatively high chance. Kinfolk and Ajaba is higher(though not explicitly given) now bare in mind Ajaba are not like Garou... their majority was beast breed so one might see a pack spawn on average one Ajaba a year..

Comment

As others mentioned, I don't think numbers are ever mentioned. But there are commentary about their numbers you can use as a guide.

The other Changing Breeds are always mentioned to be "few". I always took that to mean that the Garou were at least equal to the population of all other Changing Breeds combined and possibly superior to all of them. But I admit that is only an interpretation. In my head, that comes to between one-third and one-half of the total population of all Changers. But that's just my own made up number.

The Bastet seem to be the only Breed that was able to hold their own to the Garou, so I interpret that to mean they are of sufficient number to hold territory. So collectively they should be the most numerous, though not enough to equal the Garou. Their numbers seem less because they're present in areas where there's not wolves. There's not many areas where they interact, though they still exist (cougars in the American West, tigers in Asia, jaguars in Mexico, etc.).

The Nuwisha are like a 14th tribe of Garou, so I would put their numbers as if they were one of the smaller tribes.

We know that many think the Ananasi and Nagah are destroyed, so they likely have the fewest numbers. First edition PG calls the Ananasi "extremely rare."

The depiction of the Gurahl have been all over the place. Earlier material presented them as being almost destroyed, but later editions walked that back. Still, they are likely one of the smaller Breeds.

Corax were only supposed to be in noticeable numbers on the British Isles and the Pacific Northwest of North America. So if you figure out how many Garou are in those locations, the Corax should only be a fraction of that number. Then increase it a little bit to account for a remnant population elsewhere.

These are the guidelines I use.

One issue with a population of the Changing Breeds is that as the game developed, things changed. From the first edition Player's Guide that introduced most of them, there is an emphasis on their low numbers. But as they were developed in the Breedbooks, I don't think that was kept in real consideration. The writers were more interested in developing them just as much as the Garou were, so the presentation implies their numbers are larger than they should be.
            Last edited by Black Fox; 01-11-2021, 03:48 PM. Reason: Edited an error I made

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
              The Nuwisha are like a 14th tribe of Garou, so I would put their numbers as if they were one of the smaller tribes.
              Is there not a limit on the number of Nuwisha on earth, that is not exceeded? The other remain somewhere within the Umbra. I vaguely remember something like this at least.

Comment

I think it’s 100 Nuwisha.

Comment

Interesting. I assume that is in the Breedbook as it's not in the Players Guides (that I can see). The PGs do state much of the tribe is in the umbra though - exploring the Deep Umbra like the Wagnerians do. But there's all sorts of strange umbra rules about staying too long now that I don't think existed when this concept was first introduced. So and ST needs to play around with that to get things to work, but it's not that difficult to do so. But I assume we can still keep higher numbers for Nuwisha as long as we place them in the umbra and not on the Realm.

Comment

I think I saw it in W20 Changing Breeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post

One issue with a population of the Changing Breeds is that as the game developed, things changed. From the first edition Player's Guide that introduced most of them, there is an emphasis on their low numbers. But as they were developed in the Breedbooks, I don't think that was kept in real consideration. The writers were more interested in developing them just as much as the Garou were, so the presentation implies their numbers are larger than they should be.

The other issue is WWs general inconistancy between IC and OOC information. Fera are few and far between.. for garou. Most have little reason to interact but the very idea that wererats are rarer than wolves is the sort of thing that I can't imagine. Even if you wiped out Rats to the point there was ONE left.. they breed... fast.

Comment

Wouldn’t the same apply for the Ananasi?

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                          I think it’s 100 Nuwisha.
                          Sounds about right. I don’t recall the exact number off the top of my head, but Coyote put a hard limit on how many can be in the physical at any one time. And the fallen Nuwisha can force one of the unfallen to have to retreat to the Umbra simply by deciding to move to the physical world.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                            Wouldn’t the same apply for the Ananasi?

Indeed.... just because the spiders aren't engaging with the Garou doesn't mean they are.... rare.

Comment

Working...
                            X