Do skull pigs do agg damage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do skull pigs do agg damage?

Quick search of the forums (and the net) have turned up no answers, so I thought I'd ask: do skull pigs do agg damage? I just ran a fight where I had one do lethal cause the PC's are just cliaths, but I'm curious. Thanks!

I think there is no definitive answer. It is said that spirits soak damage of any kind just the same. When it comes to dealing damage, W20 has no information. Neither does the revised Edition Storyteller Handbook's FAQ section.

I believe the damage type of the spirit should be as the ST decides them to be appropriate for the situation...

Comment

That's what I thought.

One thing: Skull Pigs are legit, real world monsters, not spirits, though, so I was hoping I overlooked something.

Comment

As Heinrich said, this is often an issue where the ST needs to decide as the game does not clarify.

I ask myself "what exactly is aggravated damage?" It's different from lethal in that it is even harder to heal. But why? My personal reason is that aggravated damage represents something significantly worse than a "clean wound". It's ripping and tearing, or fire doing damage to the very tissue. A sword or spear point is limited in the extent of the wound it leaves. But a serrated bayonet might pull out guts, and some animal's teeth and claws might gouge rather than cut. So to my mind, these are examples of aggravated damage. Especially when the cause is supernatural in nature. Others may use different definitions, but this is the guide I use.

So I think it's justified to say Skull Pigs can cause aggravated damage. However, when I used them in a game when the PCs were Cliaths... I had them be Lethal because I wasn't sure how bad the combat would be, just like you.

Comment

Originally posted by pwtucker View Post
          One thing: Skull Pigs are legit, real world monsters, not spirits, though, so I was hoping I overlooked something.
          Oh, didn't really read up on Skull Pigs, just on spirits.

Some 20 years back, when I started WoD and WoD LARP, some players vehemently argued, that claws and teeth do aggravated damage, therefore all animals do aggravated damage. But of course it is rubbish to extend this to house cats and mosquitos. Therefore I'd strongly suggest that the decision whether or not something is aggravated damage should be made with some common sense and consistency, so players can develop a grasp of how the world works.

Comment

I tend to run Skull Pigs with agg damage, my justification being they are obviously supernatural and have a Rage score. Normal animals dont have rage so they do lethal damage, anything with a Rage score does agg.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad to see that I didn't miss an obvious rule somewhere, and that thus the matter's up to me.

What I'll do is have the skull pigs continue to deal lethal for now, and then 'level' them up when the PCs are ready and have them deal agg. I'll justify this by saying the tougher pigs have been eating radioactive stuff, and have their tusks glow a virulent green.

Comment

As Skull Pigs are debased descendants of Wyrm-ridden GRondr, they should do Aggraveted damage with their natural attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lachdanan View Post
                  As Skull Pigs are debased descendants of Wyrm-ridden GRondr, they should do Aggraveted damage with their natural attacks.
                  This is late, but I want to point out that the game contradicts itself in this case. I'm not sure when the game said that Skull Pigs are descendants of corrupted Grondr, but this was a very late development. Both first and second edition Book of the Wyrm clearly state that Skull Pigs are descended from large Ice Age precursors of North American tapirs and peccaries. As boars are only native to the Old World, de facto the Skull Pigs could not be descended from them according to their original description. And the timing is all off. Very likely, whoever came up with the idea that Skull Pigs were descended from Grondr never bothered to clearly read their original description. They just read "pigs" and thought, "Hey, I could connect this to the Grondr, wouldn't that be cool!".

The Revised era introduced a lot of retrospective changes to canon simply because the writers didn't bother to read the established lore and didn't understand that they were changing it.

One could attempt to resolve this by saying there are two "breeds" of Skull Pig. One created in the New World from these other animals, and later an Old World version based on debased Grondr descendants.

Comment

Working...
                  X