No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Earthblood?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic exclusives are usually 6 months or a year before they expire and the game goes up on other e-stores.

Comment

Finished it a few days ago. Loved the ending(even though I had it spoiled for me because I'm an idiot and looked at the achievements list).

The game does a lot wrong, but it 100% does Crinos form right. If it were priced at 29.99, I think it would've had a better reception. Regardless, I had a lot of fun with it and I'm satisfied with my purchase.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger."

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
        Finished it a few days ago. Loved the ending(even though I had it spoiled for me because I'm an idiot and looked at the achievements list).

The game does a lot wrong, but it 100% does Crinos form right. If it were priced at 29.99, I think it would've had a better reception. Regardless, I had a lot of fun with it and I'm satisfied with my purchase.

So which ending.......Revenge or Pack?

Comment

Originally posted by Damian May View Post

So which ending.......Revenge or Pack?

Revenge. I just couldn't...couldn't choose anything other than revenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post

Revenge. I just couldn't...couldn't choose anything other than revenge.

I prefer Pack.....there's that tiny sliver of light in the dark, depressing void with that one. Plus its the one I know I'd take as a PC in TT.

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich View Post
              I preordered, too.

But, "Heart of the Forest" is the first game that was actually released - although it is a different type of game.

And, I once heard about "Warrior of the Apocalypse", a werewolf protagonist jump-n-run for SEGA consoles. But no idea if it really was released.
              It wasn't. Still you can find beta version, but I don't know if it works

Warrior of the Rainbow
              Saint among the sinners
              Pure among the dirt
              Loser among winners

Comment

Ok, I've just watched short gameplay movie and I'm excited. I won't buy it for at least a few weeks (currently I am liberating Panzyr, besides my laptop won't be able to run it) but I will have another reason to visit my parents (since my brother made them grandparents they have both PS4 and Xbox to play with their grandson) 😎.

Warrior of the Rainbow
                Saint among the sinners
                Pure among the dirt
                Loser among winners

Comment

Originally posted by Damian May View Post

I prefer Pack.....there's that tiny sliver of light in the dark, depressing void with that one. Plus its the one I know I'd take as a PC in TT.

I'll likely play through it again, and when I do, I will choose pack.

Comment

Question: is Earthblood and/or Heart of the Forest canon for Werewolf, the way Bloodlines is canon for Vampire?

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                    Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

So, I finished the game recently, and I'd like to post my review on it. Apologizes if this is a necro, but I'd like to speak my mind a bit:

First off, the graphics and animations. Like a lot of people have said, it looks, sounds, and sometimes feels rather dated; the sound quality isn't always the best, and the graphics look like a PS2-era game, though the former has been improved from some patches the developers have dropped since launch. Character design also feels a bit odd at points; Aedana in the opening sequence is literally just an adult model that's been shrunken down a bit, Cahal looks like a biker version of the Pringles guy, and the others just felt kinda flat. Not exactly a deal breaker by any means, just generic.

Next, the gameplay. The Crinos form is great; like others have said, it looks and feels like how the Crinos form should: you're this big werewolf, and you move and fight like this big werewolf. Homid and Lupus forms were also entertaining, to some extent; I kinda liked some the dialogue options that you could go through at some points with Homid, and I found both the stealth sections and just regular old running around in Lupus to be somewhat enjoyable. The problem here is that it all gets rather repetitive by the finale; you either stealth with crossbow shots and chokeholds, or go into Crinos and murder everything until the game tells you to stop. There's no variety to what you can do in either scenario, especially since most of the upgrades don't really add much; not helped by the heavy guys and exos being immune during stealth, and some enemies getting rather tanky during the end. The early chapters are very fun, but it gets just a bit too padded by the finale; it's still fun at points, but the gameplay takes a noticeable dip in quality.

Other issues I had with include the controls: they work well enough for the most part, but there are some moments where I had issues, not with combat, but sometimes with stealth. The crossbow felt awkward to use, and the lack of options got very annoying. My biggest issue with the game is the lack of replayability; there's no way for you to go back and replay levels, which gets agonizing if you missed a spirit needed for the trophy. It really cuts down on the will to keep going.

Level and worldbuilding is up next, and... yea, they missed the mark, unfortunately. Every location that you visit in-game is some variant of a base/laboratory; you get different objectives in each one, but there's just not enough variety to keep things interesting. I would have at least enjoyed an urban area, or perhaps a mission in the Umbra; the closet thing we got to shaking things up was the prison level, and that still felt generic. Didn't help that the overworlds were kinda brainless as well; first area, Washington State Forest, nothing but a bunch of Endron Facilities, Caeren's in the middle, and yet somehow the werewolves and their few allies are still standing? Albeit barely, but still...

Story... it was definitely classic WoD, but they REALLY should have done more with it. Story arcs felt a bit disjointed at points, and the few bits of lore we got were kinda interesting, but they didn't do anything with it. There was no real development with the series' lore, no fleshing out the characters and the setting, and the entire game just felt like a rushed out mess. I mean, I'm not expecting another Masquerade, but come on; we should have gotten at least some better explanations of the setting, and there should have been some better development for the characters. Even with me doing some research on the setting, I was still lost at points; why were the characters treating Nevada like some endgame dungeon? What are the different tribes, and what are they doing to fight the Apocalypse?

Didn't help that the story and gameplay felt completely disconnected from one another; for instance, Cahal succumbing to Rage was this massive, life-altering event in his backstory, but in-game you can go Rage mode as much as you want, with no negative consequences. It just feels poorly meshed together, and that's just something I can't help but notice.

Overall, I came away from the game disappointed; not angry, disappointed. We waited twenty years for this, after the Heart of Gaia got canceled, only to get a game that went backwards with its development. I mean, the game isn't all that bad; combat, despite my complaints, is at least somewhat fun, and the few bits of lore that we got were quite interesting. What I'm hoping Cyanide does, far-fetched as it stands, is try to improve the game in some way; perhaps more updates to give more gameplay options, or hell, a DLC to expand the story a bit. As it stands right now, what we've got is a game that, while fun, decidedly feels like it needed more time in development; all the bits are there for a truly excellent game, but they just weren't developed enough. Overall, I give the game a 6.5/10; if Cyanide manages to fix some of the game's issues, I will definitely give it a higher score, but as it stands, it's a fun but heavily flawed game that missed the mark.

Comment

Its a discount Devil May Cry for PS3.

Which isn't an insult!

Lots and lots of murdering humans with the occasional mecha or monster. This game could have done well with a lot more Banes and Formori, IMHO. On the other hand, it was entertaining from beginning to end.
                        Last edited by CTPhipps; 03-17-2021, 01:24 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

It's kind of ironic, but Cahal plays as expected; Like a Fianna Ahroun. The -problem- with that is that Earthblood is a stealth game, which means you are very much handicapped regarding stealth. It is ironic because we DO have ragabash for stealth, but I understand why the 'warrior' auspice was used.

And as CTPhipps said, it gets REALLY repetitive. Once you've seen one level, you've seen them all.

On the art-side, I love the way the crinos is done. I love that lupus can be used as a CASUAL form. Basically, they do the mechanics of the forms pretty well.

My gallery.

Comment

Impression I'm getting is that the game is worth playing, but not worth full price, so I'm just keeping an eye out for a sale.

Comment

Anyone have any idea how easy it would be to do mods for the game?

It really feels like if Earthblood is going to have any legs as a product, it's going to need a strong mod community like Bloodlines 1 has (people are still doing unofficial improvements to that game even now, and major additions to it as well). While banking on (free) fan work isn't necessarily a great strategy, encouraging it is usually a good thing and feels like it could be something that could make the game a lot more appealing for anyone that's not sold on "we finally got a WtA game and it doesn't suck."

Comment

Originally posted by Archmage Joda View Post
                                Impression I'm getting is that the game is worth playing, but not worth full price, so I'm just keeping an eye out for a sale.

I'd say wait til its under $10, maybe $5, its really not worth any more than that.

Comment

Working...
                                X