Rite of the Questing Stone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rite of the Questing Stone

The write-up is pretty brief. How do you run it? Stone points in the direction of the prey? Once or continuously, and if so, for how long? What can foil it? Does it narrow the location to a square block, to a room, or...?

I run it as:

1) The Ritemaster knows the general location if successful. They don't haven to constantly consult the stone and follow it like a dowsing rod; but doing so is good RP that I'll reward in other ways. I do, however, rule that the effect ends when either (a) the Ritemaster arrives at the general location of the target or (b) the Ritemaster stops actively pursuing the target (including significant stops to rest, it's only a level 1 Rite). You can't activate it now and wait a month and expect it to still be there (you can try, a living target might have left clues, a stationary target might not have been moved), but you aren't going to have the mystic certainty of doing it immediately.

2) I treat general location very contextually (there's plenty of precedent for this in WtA). Basically, I want the result of the Rite to end in an interesting scene (or it doesn't really matter and I'm not going to have the players roll it all out and we'll just narrate them using the Rite, finding the target, and move on). This means the area needs to be small enough that the players can find what they're looking for with a roll or two unless something is actively impeding them, small enough that the target or something protecting the target has a chance to realize what the PCs are up to, and then large enough that the decision to split up to cover more ground or stick together is not a given. The end result is that the more wild and less populated the area around the target is, the larger the general area response of the Rite will be, and conversely the more crowded it is, the small it will tend to be. Something in the middle of the woods might only narrow down to ten acres, while something in the city could be as specific as a floor of an apartment building.

3) Nothing can stop the Rite itself once it's successfully used. However the PCs still have to deal with anything that's on the scene. Nothing stops their prey from just running away if they're not careful about their approach (or the dice hate them that night), and forcing them to start over. Finding out that the target is currently at 30,000 ft above the middle of the Atlantic ocean might not foil the Rite itself, but it can certain foil the PCs' plans (not that you want to abuse this sort of thing).

A lot of this is influenced by the potency of fairly low level tracking Gifts in the game. While I wholly expect a Ragabash to get Pulse of the Prey ASAP and then largely ignore Questing Stone unless the prey is crafty enough to make that Gift's roll hard, I'd rather Questing Stone be good enough that everyone else isn't going to drop 10 XP on it when Questing Stone is good enough for most of what they need.

Comment

Thanks, Heavy Arms. This is all really useful. Much appreciated.

Comment

In our LARP we run it like this:

The Rite grants direction as well as a sense of distance in increments of "same scene", up to 100m away, up to 1km away, up to 10km away, up to 100km away or up to 1000km, "more than 1000km" away - or "other side of the Gauntlet".
        We also have the Rite blocked by all magic that hinders clairvoyance and similar magic that by design should protect the user from being found. The reasoning is for gaming balance obviously, not everyone who's name is given should be found easily. Also, the Rite might not work correctly on names stemming from cover identities.

Comment

Working...
        X