Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Werewolf 20th Anniversary edition book coming.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The primary goal from this book is utility. If a Storyteller can't find a way of using its content to start or strengthen their chronicles, we've not done our jobs.

Matthew Dawkins
    In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
      The primary goal from this book is utility. If a Storyteller can't find a way of using its content to start or strengthen their chronicles, we've not done our jobs.
      Now that's a commendable goal, I'll keep my eye out on this.

What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

Comment

Which versions of BSDs/White Howlers are going to be used? W20 basically retconned the whole dynamic entirely.

My gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodai View Post
          . I like Black Foxes deep dive into old plothooks a lot more, but I'm not sure we need that 20 or 30 years later. We can take a look at some of those things, but what I feel we really need is something like Delta Green's the Labyrinth. A book that takes a look into current situations, issues and all sorts of weirdness that we can make our own. The world of 1992 is not the world of 2022.
          New ideas and looking at current events and trends for new potential hooks is always good. My emphasis on old and existing ideas was due to the subject of "lore" and wanting to update them, so my comments were on older things. I really like your suggestions.

Comment

A lot of the old things happened for better or for worse and were left open for the storytellers and players to jump in and do something, and someone somewhere will be quite disappointed to learn their favourite plothook was resolved completely differently in a metaplot book. We learned more about the "metaplot" of Werewolf in novels and because some crossover book said so, than it actually advanced through most of 2nd ed and Revised.

I don't think we need to know more about the signature characters and the plots of the books, we've had that already. I like Black Foxes deep dive into old plothooks a lot more, but I'm not sure we need that 20 or 30 years later. We can take a look at some of those things, but what I feel we really need is something like Delta Green's the Labyrinth. A book that takes a look into current situations, issues and all sorts of weirdness that we can make our own. The world of 1992 is not the world of 2022.
            • What kind of new companies are part of Pentexes portofolio?
            • What new fomori breeeds have spawned into the world?
            • How about the recovery of the wolf populations in Europe, or the unified front that European Garou are showing now?
            • How did Brexit impact that and are there spiritual consequences to it?
            • Has the delirium evolved to help hide the shifters from the world where everyone is streaming everything or has a great deal been made with the spirits of technology to make the Veil easier to uphold?
            • What kind of new movements have risen among the Garou? Good or bad ones?
            • What strange new Black Spiral creeds have risen and how they terrify even the old guard?
            • What's going on outside Europe and North America?
            • How is the Ahadi doing? How are they impacted by the political landscape and the conservation efforts that have evolved into actual firefights with the poachers?
            • The Muslim Spring ended up making things even worse in some places than others, and the writeup in Rage Accross the World (20) has aged rather poorly
            • What's going on with the Stargazers and the Hengeyokai?
            • What are the shifters of India like? Technically they are also a a part of the Beast courts, but I expect their courts to be different in tone, culture and style
            • What's the situation like in South America? Gogol is probably gone now, and the great crusade is either over or it has changed into something different
            • Rage Accross Australia was... bad. A new look at the land down under might be quite thrilling

Fundamentally, a place that gathers dangers and hopes and where we can easily mix and match this with the old material, no matter where we took it in Our games.

So basically an expanded ' A World of Rage' 20th?

That could be useful, yeah.

Comment

Heh, glad you liked the musings. One of the things that came to mind later today were these two thoughts:
              • what is being freed from the millenial ice currently melting?
              • are we due for another prophecy of the end times?

What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

Comment

[*]are we due for another prophecy of the end times?
                My vote would be to keep the Prophecy of Phoenix as the prophecy of the end times. We don't need another. Rather than saying it was wrong, I think the classic "we interpreted it wrong" is better. Creating a new prophecy of the Apocalypse diminishes the unique role of both the prophecy and the Phoenix spirit in Garou culture.

Now some of the terms of the prophecy of Phoenix are even dated. There's a direct reference to the Exxon Valdez spill of 1989 which was still an understandable reference on everyone's minds when the game was first published, but is probably obscure now to new gamers who wouldn't get the reference. But there's two ways of handling it. The first is that while it was important for some reason to signal the approach of the Apocalypse, it doesn't mean the Apocalypse is imminent. It's still down the road, but it does mark an important next step. The other is that it actually is in reference to something else; something still to come which the Garou don't understand yet.

However, I think it is OK for the game to have other prophecies, and that the new prophecy can act as a hook for some kind of extended campaign.
                Last edited by Black Fox; 03-15-2021, 02:14 AM.

Comment

I'm hoping HEART OF THE FOREST was correct and the apocalypse is averted.

For now.

DUN DUN DUN

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

I agree we don't need another new prophecy of the Apocalypse.

Perhaps the Prophecy of the Phoenix refers instead to a series of huge oil spills, each bigger than the last. In WTA there have been more huge oil spills than in the real world, but surely the spills in the Niger Delta, the Amazon, the Gulf of Mexico, Kalamazoo, etc. also happened.

The Apocalypse prophecy in Bastet refers to test tube babies and Antediluvians (plural) waking up and going on rampages. Presumably test tube babies have been prefected by the Technocracy right now, but only one Antediluvian has gone on a rampage... yet. Saulot is laying low and Set may or may not wake up soon? Something stirs in the Kalahari. It's an ongoing catastrophe-in-the-making, not necessarily solely a reference to the Week of Nightmares. It's more scary when the Changing-Breeds don't know exactly how soon the Apocalypse will be, and aren't sure precisely what counts as "fulfilling" a given prophecy. It's one thing to say "At least the Week of Nightmares is over." It's another thing to say "Oh Gaia, how many more times will THAT happen?!"

I am hoping for more information about the Fera and Hengeyokai and Ahadi. But better written than CB20, which was so bad I almost permanently lost interest in Werewolf.

Question: Was Rage Across the World W20 a book of metaplot, or story hooks, or what? Did it feature the Fera? As someone who might someday get to play Werewolf again, should I avoid that book as spoilery?
                    Last edited by Erinys; 03-14-2021, 02:50 PM.

She/Her. I am very literal-minded and write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                    My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
                    Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                      I agree we don't need another new prophecy of the Apocalypse.

Perhaps the Prophecy of the Phoenix refers instead to a series of huge oil spills, each bigger than the last. In WTA there have been more huge oil spills than in the real world, but surely the spills in the Niger Delta, the Amazon, the Gulf of Mexico, Kalamazoo, etc. also happened.

The Apocalypse prophecy in Bastet refers to test tube babies and Antediluvians (plural) waking up and going on rampages. Presumably test tube babies have been prefected by the Technocracy right now, but only one Antediluvian has gone on a rampage... yet. Saulot is laying low and Set may or may not wake up soon? Something stirs in the Kalahari. It's an ongoing catastrophe-in-the-making, not necessarily solely a reference to the Week of Nightmares. It's more scary when the Changing-Breeds don't know exactly how soon the Apocalypse will be, and aren't sure precisely what counts as "fulfilling" a given prophecy. It's one thing to say "At least the Week of Nightmares is over." It's another thing to say "Oh Gaia, how many more times will THAT happen?!"

I am hoping for more information about the Fera and Hengeyokai and Ahadi. But better written than CB20, which was so bad I almost permanently lost interest in Werewolf.

Question: Was Rage Across the World W20 a book of metaplot, or story hooks, or what? Did it feature the Fera? As someone who might someday get to play Werewolf again, should I avoid that book as spoilery?
                      AWoR 20th was a breakdown of the current situation continent by continent as it related to Garou and their struggle. Basically lots and lots of plot hooks and a little bit of filling in the gaps.

It's not perfect ( African Wendigo? WTF? ), but it's useful.

Comment

Is there any release date?

Comment

Originally posted by werewolf43 View Post
                          Is there any release date?
                          "When it's done".

Comment

Assuming Rage Across the Heavens is still canon, I want to know what the Perfect Metis is up to these days. That fella would be 22 now, perfect age for an iconic character.

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

Golgol Fangs Out is clearly who we need to know the most about.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                                Golgol Fangs Out is clearly who we need to know the most about.
                                Fangs First had gone AWOL and was possibly dead back in Revised. He probably sought out an ever-escalating series of fights that culminated in one hell of a last stand, given his tribe and age.

Comment

Working...
                                X