No announcement yet.

Garou religion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Revised Players Guide probably went into the most detail on Garou spirituality, but there's lots more scattered around the books and none go into exhaustive detail about it.

The Garou don't have an official name for it because they don't actively perceive as a religion/faith/etc. in human terms. As has been noted, their belief structure is based on things that they actively perceive (though it does border on faith even if they don't acknowledge it when it comes to their ability to perceive the intentions of higher powered spirits as an example) and interact with. Most Garou would say it's more analogous to the pride felt when doing service to a greater good; such as obvious examples of patriotic pride in military service, and less overt examples like volunteering at a food bank.

You could also say it relates to a strong tendency in early human groups (whether they only exist in historical record or have survived to modern times) to have names that translate to either "humans" or "people" and likewise don't have specific names for their religions/faiths/etc. They don't need names for themselves or what they belief, that's just normal, they have names for other people and other beliefs because those are different.

Comment

I just figured it wouldn't be too far out of place among the countless post-modern religions that have arisen in the last few decades, many of them based on something in pop culture. I can't really say how it would work in the real world, because it is only the seed of a thought that I threw out for an amusing discussion. I do not actually adhere to such a religion myself. If anything, I've found the myths presented in WtA to be an intro to researching the actual myths and traditions that inspired them.

Comment

Something I found myself pondering while considering one of my previous responses: the Litany. Would that qualify as part of a "Garou Religion"?

Is the Litany an example of secular law or religious law, or is it one of those distinctions that just breaks down when applied to examples like the Garou?

Comment

Honestly, the idea of religion being based in believing in something you can't perceive is something of a very Western Post-Christianity thing. There's plenty of religions that believed in God Kings and non-theistic cultural laws.

Hell, you talk to a sun worshiper 5000 years ago and he'd be like, "What the fuck are you on about? It's right there."

Originally posted by AscentionTheMage View Post
          Is there a sourcebook that goes into detail on Garou Religion, In particular I want yto know what's the official name or the religion, I imagine somethibg like "the cult of Gaia" or "the gaian cult".
          I imagine it would be "The Garou Nation" since the entirety of the Garou race and sect is a cult as well as national as well as racial identity.
          Last edited by CTPhipps; 04-05-2021, 01:16 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

How would Garouism work in the Real World?

Yes, I've given it a name.

If there was a "semi-serious religious identity" I would assume that the religious practitioners of Garouism would adopt the totem identity of being defenders of the Earth and Warriors for Gaia. You would adopt the mental identity of being a werewolf (even though you can't change form in RL) and fight against what you perceive to be mental and spiritual corruption in the real world. You are a "warrior for Gaia" even though said method of war would be with activism and focus rather than violence -- if for no other reason than you don't have superpowers and are not facing supernatural evils.

Garousim would presumably be a pantheist religion which is neither non-theistic or theistic really as nature worship is something that doesn't actually require a matter of faith. Venerating the sun, ecosystem, and humanity's relationship with nature is something that many people do with "spirits" not necessarily being immortal or eternal but simply a part of the greater shared interlocking nature of the world.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...otes/Pantheism

Using the metaphors of the Triat, a practitioner of Garouism would presumably attempt to be someone who would find balance in their own lives between being properly angry at injustices as well as systemic failures of humanity (Rage against the Wyrm) while also not losing control over these qualities. They would attempt to preserve a balance between the Wyld (Change) and Weaver (Stasis) while also recognizing that destruction or corruption has gone off course in human society (The Wyrm). Gaia doesn't require one to actually have a personal relationship with her because Gaia is the world and nature around us so we don't require faith as a matter of belief in this world.

As stated the above is a pantheistic non-supernatural religion and non-supernatural religions DO exist but would be primarily viewed in the terms of a life philosophy. Garouism as something metaphorical and a tool for living your best life as well as working toward the preservation of the eco-system and spiritual unity with it that humanity has largely ignored.

Supernatural Garouism

However, if you believe in it you could apply this to an animistic ancestor worshiping reincarnation based religion too. But you should probably not do that with an RPG as your basis, just an introduction to investigating whatever religions (Shinto, Hinduism, Buddism) that have that as actual belief structures.

Because otherwise, that would be silly.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CultofJimmy View Post
              If anything, I've found the myths presented in WtA to be an intro to researching the actual myths and traditions that inspired them.
              While not as big of a factor as some of the others brought up, I'd say this is a tertiary one that helps explain the lack of interest in this idea. While I see it more in Mage fans than WtA fans, WoD fans in general do tend to get into research of this sort. So the very fans most likely to develop an interest in an alternative spiritual lifestyle after reading the game the same ones most likely to learn about all the ones already out there instead of trying to create something from the game.

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
              Honestly, the idea of religion being based in believing in something you can't perceive is something of a very Western Post-Christianity thing.
              Because the threadis addressing the idea of starting a new religion that is largely going to target people living in Western post-Christianity cultures as potential members?

Though you seem to more importantly being skipping over the distinguishing factor of direct vs. indirect interactions with objects of spiritual importance. A sun worshiper from 5,000 years ago might be able to point to the sun and say, "look it's right there," but they're can't show that anything they're doing is direct interaction with the sun. Garou can go talk to Helios if they want to spend the time.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                How would Garouism work in the Real World?

Yes, I've given it a name.
                That's gonna sound like a furry cult in French speaking lands.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps
                  "The Garou Nation" since the entirety of the Garou race and sect is a cult as well as national as well as racial identity.
                  Eh, I don't know about that since there are other Changing Breeds/Fera that also revere Gaia and recognize the facets of the Triat aswell. "Garou Nation" or "Garouism" wouldn't work.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Garou Nation is in response to "what would the Garou call their religion" which is to say, they wouldn't see a separation between their religion and their society.

Garouism only works if you're making a religion based on the game and decide to keep the Garou central and exclude the other Fera as part of the philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakanaka View Post

Eh, I don't know about that since there are other Changing Breeds/Fera that also revere Gaia and recognize the facets of the Triat aswell. "Garou Nation" or "Garouism" wouldn't work.
                      Yes, but their religion is objectively different in every case. They may revere the same gods but their interpretations are greatly different.

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                      Garou Nation is in response to "what would the Garou call their religion" which is to say, they wouldn't see a separation between their religion and their society.

Garouism only works if you're making a religion based on the game and decide to keep the Garou central and exclude the other Fera as part of the philosophy.
                      Which I imagine so since the game is called Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Gaianism wouldn't work because there's already religions like that in RL.

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoMage View Post

That's gonna sound like a furry cult in French speaking lands.
                        Still can't beat the potential awkwardness of Garou using their word for other changers while in Japan!

Comment

Working...
                        X