Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Werewolf 5th Edition information in Crimson Thaw

Hey folks,

The back of the latest issue of the VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE comic has some interesting news about Werewolves in the V5 era.

Amazon Link:
    https://www.amazon.com/World-Darknes...dp/B097YZYLQC/

Some samples of the text:

The Apocalypse has come and gone and we live in its aftermath. The Garou among us, dying out like their mother. That is the world itself is dying--these are the times of the Malady, of the world's warming and the waters rising.
    A symbol of the Malady, Gaia's Howl, reverberated among the wilds and the spirit-places and even in the cities of humans as the Malady fouled the Earth. It has been perceptible by the Garou ever since and werewolves can see, hear, taste, and small, and even its waning pulse.
    ...insisting that the Apocalypse is yet to come and will be a glorious battle, or that the Garou have already won it!
    Until recently, a fragile unity bonded the tribes but that unity has been broken. The Garou Nation is shattered and the very Litany it once upheld is itself in question. What use are pacts and promises when the Mother existed to protect breathes her last.
    One of the tribes has abandoned the others entirely, so convinced are they of the truth of their cause and the inaction of the other werewolves. Another tribe has lost faith in the Garou and has withdrawn to seek other allies in the fight against Gaia's foes. Now, the only grasp a werewolf can trust is their own pack.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 09-22-2021, 11:31 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
    the Contact Us link.

So... everyone's concerns about Forsaken stuff being in WtA should be mollified because everyone worried that W5 would copy BNS's WtA metaplot were right to be?

Comment

I'm going on a wild guess to say that the Get of Fenris are going to be the tribe that left due to "inaction" and that they are going to be the equivalent of the Pure.

The Stargazers seem like the ones seeking other allies but that already happened so it could be the Children of Gaia. I'm going to say it's more developing the Stargazers, though.

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      So... everyone's concerns about Forsaken stuff being in WtA should be mollified because everyone worried that W5 would copy BNS's WtA metaplot were right to be?
      I'm not nearly as well-versed in W:TA as V:TM so who is BNS?

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
      the Contact Us link.

Comment

BNS is the company that made the widely derided metaplot for the WtA LARP rules.

Comment

Yep.

One of those moments when being right just makes you even more depressed.

Comment

Not really surprised given that all of this matches up with what we were told. I'm curious to see which tribe left.

Comment

Originally posted by Damian May View Post
              BNS is the company that made the widely derided metaplot for the WtA LARP rules.
              Sadly not familiar with it. Thank you for telling me!

I'll have to look it up.
              Last edited by CTPhipps; 09-22-2021, 08:49 PM.

Forum Terms of Use
              the Contact Us link.

Comment

Damn...I did not need this news today.

Comment

I liked the Werewolf status quo is it was. With the tribel cultures. But I would like to see Hosts and non-triad claimed in Apocalypse. It seems like the new direction for the OWOD is a destruction of larger societal structures for a more small group based like the COfD. Which is bad for people that liked playing games that dealt with the navigation of said structures.
                  Last edited by Konradleijon; 09-22-2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post

I liked the Werewolf status quo is it was. With the tribel cultures. But I would like to see Hosts and non-triad claimed in Apocalypse

Just bring Forsaken stuff over yourself with the translation guide. ( Or just use Hollow Men for hosts and increase the number of Kami if you want Naturae Possessed)

They are both good games but they need to be their own thing....trying to fuse them officially just harms both.
                    Last edited by Damian May; 09-22-2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Oh no man... a tribe will be gone?! Really?! C'mon... Why do this when you can just update each of them? Please devs, don't screw me...

Comment

Probably one of the ones rpgnet considers problematic..... wendigo most likely or the red talons for being really hard to play well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragged Robin View Post
                          Probably one of the ones rpgnet considers problematic..... wendigo most likely or the red talons for being really hard to play well.
                          I'm betting Get because they're the easiest ones to make antagonists.

Maybe the ones who stay behind will be something else.

Forum Terms of Use
                          the Contact Us link.

Comment

So, to clarify my statement for those that haven't read the BNS MET book:

1) In the BNS MET Metaplot, Gaia did "something" to end the Apocalypse without the Garou and Fera being wiped out. It either outright killed her, or mortally wounded her. This destroyed all but 13 Caerns in the world (effectively one per-Tribe), and without Gaia the world is dying. Also there's a new Garou specific Plague thing to deal with on top of that.

2) Gaia's intervention disrupted the big final battle setup to end revised (but not enough to save Jonas probably). The Garou aren't sure if that means the grand final battle happened and this is what comes next, or if this nearly stalled and the true final battle is yet to come.

3) The BNS book didn't completely destroy the Garou Nation, but hobbled it significantly as an organization. Gaia's sacrifice lead to only 13 Caerns remaining (one for each Tribe) and the Tribes moving to hold on to their last Caerns more than operate cooperatively.

4) Because the Red Talons are especially unpopular in the major WtA LARPs, were written to quadruple down on their war on humanity. They're on the verge of leaving the other Tribes completely, with only the combined efforts of the Silver Fangs and their remaining allies keeping the Talons from leaving by growing more conservative (by Garou standards, aka being more anti-Weaver and pro putting humanity back in its place). The Garou Nation effectively split into two faction: The Sanctum of Gaia lead by the Silver Fangs that are trying to keep the traditional Garou Nation, and the Concordat of Stars, lead by the Shadow Lords, who, "seeks to find new allies beyond those traditionally sought by werewolf society." So there's the two Tribes.

5) To justify being able to play in more than one place, BNS invented "Shard Caerns," were the few remaining true Caerns can generate spiritual seeds that can be use to plop new Caerns in places, but Shard Caerns are generally weak and are run by a small number of packs until they can grow into a more potent place of spiritual power; while the true Caerns remain the centers of Garou politics. Or, in other words, it reduced the default to being in the 1-3 packs shepherding a Shard Caern rather than the grander politics of the full Caerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragged Robin View Post

I mostly tend to ghost by the World of Darkness stuff mostly because I rarely play World of Darkness much, but in regards to the whole problematic rpgnet thing, the only complaints I've seen is a old threat weeks ago just wanting to change the names of the wendigo as well as changing the logo for the get of Fenrir.

Comment

Working...
                              X