No announcement yet.

Werewolf 5th Edition information in Crimson Thaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I admit, I think the best part of this is the idea the Apocalypse is over because that allows a lot more interesting ideas to explore while leaving the idea of the "dying Earth" as something to explore since, well, that seems to be something actually happening now.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
    the Contact Us link.

Comment

I'm feeling more that Earth is killing us than that Earth is dying.

Anyway, if the Talons are so despised in LARPs they may be the tribe leaving. Either that or the Get.

Wendigo probably is the tribe seeking new allies, it fits Evan and would be a big enough thing to change the tribe's name.

This may only be a BNS's meta, but at the same time it is a context ripe for mixing with Forsaken anyway 'cause reasons.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
      #AutismPride
      She/her pronouns

Comment

Originally posted by monteparnas View Post

Anyway, if the Talons are so despised in LARPs they may be the tribe leaving. Either that or the Get.

Wendigo probably is the tribe seeking new allies, it fits Evan and would be a big enough thing to change the tribe's name.

This may only be a BNS's meta, but at the same time it is a context ripe for mixing with Forsaken anyway 'cause reasons.
        I get the impression WW would like people to forget Evan exists.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
        the Contact Us link.

Comment

Not for nothing, but some of those quotes feel a lot like some of the stuff that's was on the Hunter's Entertainment blog almost 18 months ago.
          "The shapechanging Garou have been fighting an ongoing war, and they have never been closer to losing. Many say the war has already been lost. The Malady is rampant, and Rage, as with most weapons, can cut both ways. It is a dark time for the dying Garou, while the primordial forces of the Weaver and the Wyrm continue to grow, and the essence of the Wyld fades with every passing year."

Community Content
          Hunters Hunted II Into the Darkness
          V20 Sleepy Hollow

Comment

One of the few things i like about the BNS meta, is that Younger Brother has something truly interesting to deal with. Gaia's death sent a spiritual wave that "activated" lots of long lost kin families. This includes Younger Brother's kin in Eurasia that they left behind when moving to North America. So, unlike the unpleasantness of Evan, there are suddenly Sami kin giving birth to Garou that are spiritually drawn to the winter spirits. This creates a very interesting dynamic for the Tribe as they have something to focus on besides being angry at the European Tribes that still resonates with their core themes.

It's also part of how the Silver Fangs keep Younger Brother in the Sanctum of Gaia (since a lot of those kin and new cubs are in Silver Fang territories), while Older Brother leaves to join the Shadow Lords in finding new answers to their new normal.

It would also be a great reason to dump Younger Brother's old name.

Comment

Well this could be really good.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
              There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
                Yeah from a ecological perspective I suspect we'll annihilate ourselves long before we 'kill' Earth. Frankly it'd be pretty neat if the setting acknowledged that wolves are on 'safe' preservation list and what that could entail for lupus.

Assuming they don't get rid of lupus.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragged Robin View Post

Yeah from a ecological perspective I suspect we'll annihilate ourselves long before we 'kill' Earth. Frankly it'd be pretty neat if the setting acknowledged that wolves are on 'safe' preservation list and what that could entail for lupus.

Assuming they don't get rid of lupus.

Eh, a couple of US states killed 90% of their wolf populations within 2 weeks very recently so its very dependant on location.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragged Robin View Post
                    Probably one of the ones rpgnet considers problematic..... wendigo most likely or the red talons for being really hard to play well.
                    Making one of the tribes of Indigenous Garou antagonists would be even more problematic. And why would the Red Talons be considered “problematic”? In the fact that their hard to make a PC because they hate humans?

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post

Making one of the tribes of Indigenous Garou antagonists would be even more problematic. And why would the Red Talons be considered “problematic”? In the fact that their hard to make a PC because they hate humans?
                      I figured the wendigo would be the tribe that leaves since that allows then to shrug them off, Good question. I ultimatly think both moves would be a bad idea so I'm speculating on motivations.
                      Last edited by Ragged Robin; 09-23-2021, 07:18 AM.

Comment

And why would the Red Talons be considered “problematic”? In the fact that their hard to make a PC because they hate humans?
                        I imagine because it's hard to sell the game as not edgelord when the other tribes consider the guys supporting genocide to be "just kind of jerks."
                        Last edited by CTPhipps; 09-23-2021, 08:57 AM.

Forum Terms of Use
                        the Contact Us link.

Comment

Well, the least genocidal of their tribe's factions wants to "merely" kill around 90% of humans on earth. They are antagonist material, especially in V5 where the sabbat book is written as ST npcs only.
                          Last edited by Nyremne; 09-23-2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Well this is certainly terrible news. Everything I disliked about the metaplot in BNS's LARP rules is front and center here. Looks like I won't be buying any W5 products and just sticking to W20.

Comment

Here's the whole text from the issue

"The Garou

Champions of a mother-spirit charged with defending her against the demiurges of chaos, order and entropy, all seeking her destruction, the Garou are creatures of Rage and Spirit, of Wolk and Man. Warlike shapeshifters, the werewolves possess a tremendous culture and legacy, but they are at odds with one another over how best to defend their mother.

The only ways they know have failed them.

Gaia, the world-spirit who may have created the Garou and gave them their purpose, is dying. The Apocalypse has come and gone and we live in it's aftermath, the Garous among us, dying out like their mother. That is ,the world itself is dying - These are the times of the Malady, of the world's warming and the water rising, as mankind steal away the very substance of Gaia herself to fashion it into trinkets and builds shrines to their own greed.

A symptom of the Malady; Gaia's Howl, reverberated among the wilds and the spirit-places and even in the cities of humans as the Malady fouled the Earth. It has been perceptible by the Garou ever since, and werewolves can see, hear, taste, smell and even feel it's waning pulse. Gaia's Howl is inescapable, which the Garou liken to moans of pain as Gaia continues to die.

And what of the tribes?

The great tribes of the Garou have existed since before human history, and today their celebrated heroes recount tales of their own significance, insisting that the Apocalypse is yet to come and will be a glorious battle, or that the Garou have already won it! Others lament the inexorable despoilment of Gaia, succuùbing to hopelessness, driven to despair by her hown.

Until recently, a fragile unity bonded the tribes, but that unity has broken. The Garou Nation is shattered, and the very litany it once upheld is itself in question. What use are pacts and promises when the Mother they existed to protect breathes her last?

One of the tribes has abandoned the others entirely, so convinced are they of the truth of their cause and the inaction of other werewolves. Another tribe has lost faith in the Garou and has withdrawn to seek other allies in the fight against Gaia's foes. Now, the only group a werewolf can trust is their own pack.

Yet still the Garou fight on, in honor of their mother, to take back what has been lost, and to call upon the fires of their Rage to light a beacon, a bonfire, a conflagration agaisnt the darkness.

Will you heed their cry?

What legends will the Garou sing of you?

Comment

A few comment from analysing the text and using the plot points of Heart of the Forest:

"defending her agaisnt the demiurges of chaos, order and entropy"

The way this is formulated, plus the whole "the apocalypse happened and went away" may imply that the garou inflicted a heavy defeat to the wyrm, so much that it is now "merely" one of the threat to gaia, and that the garou now consider the wild as a potential threat to gaia.
                                To that, my theory is that said defeat to the wyrm weakened in a way the weaver's web on the wyld, and the wyld being chaos, it now threaten more than it helps.

As for the garou nation and the two tribes, first, the litany being questionned happens in a way in Heart of the forest, with the main character, during her initiation, only pledging four of all the tenets of the litany, which imply that each sept has it's interpretation.

For the tribe that is "going too far". Two options, the red talons, for reasons obvious, or the Get of fenrir. Those are also extreme in their belief of ragnarok and they are described in HotF as being sort of separated from the rest.

For the tribe that went away to find new allies, my bet is either on the Children of Gaia or the Glass Walkers

Comment

Working...
                                X