No announcement yet.

Before They Were Werewolf Inspiration: The First Fera or Tribe Name You Heard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before They Were Werewolf Inspiration: The First Fera or Tribe Name You Heard

This is just idle curiosity. Lots of myths and legends gave rise to the names of the Tribes and Fera, what's the first one you heard reference to (outside of Werewolf)?

For instance, I realized recently that I heard of the Mokole Mbembe back in a dinosaur documentary I watched on repeat when I was four or five. Meanwhile I didn't hear the term loup-garou until well after read Werewolf 2nd.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

It was Mokole Mbembe for me as well (dino/cryptid) television program. I think after that it was the Fianna, and the exploits of Fionn mac Cumhaill.

Explore the Savage Age of Werewolf: the Apocalypse. Tribebook: Wlewa rivals to the Garou Nation.

Comment

First? That's hard to say exactly. Either Bast or Gaia (one of my father's friends was an amateur poet and focused a lot on Greek and Egyptian goddess symbolism), since I learned about those pantheons when I was around five or six (the Furies wouldn't have been first, but soon after in all that). Khan was also up there (Jungle Book's Shere Khan) as early reference though

I'm assuming we're skipping the Ratkin simply because their name is Rat, and the subgroups don't generally reference mythology.

After that there's still a sizeable list of terms I knew about before getting to WtA, but they wouldn't have been before those.

Comment

Shere Khan and Bagheera in The Jungle Book. Incidentally, Khan is part of his title, just as it is in Mongolia and other places. He's Lungri (the lame one, because of his bad leg) The Tiger King/Khan of Tigers. So by the source conventions, the weretiger Bastet should be called the Shere or Shir.

Mokole Mbembe from the 1985 movie Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend.

Loup-garou from Dungeons & Dragons.

Also the Furies and Fenris from various middle school mythology books.
        Last edited by No One of Consequence; 11-30-2021, 08:03 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Silver Fang, as it was the name of an anime I liked. Google searched it and HEY, what is that cool werewolf?

My gallery.

Comment

First? Almost certainly Bunyip probably around 3 or 4 years of age, I was already super into mythology and folklore in early primary school so almost all the rest of it would have been sometime between 5-8 years.

Comment

I was a sucker for mythology early in life, starting with Greek, so Gaia. But a lot of others I heard before knowing Werewolf, including most totems, a number of tribes, several Fera.

But I admit a number was also after Werewolf. Wendigo, Croatan, Bunyip, Uktena, those aren't things close to me in any way and weren't mainstream enough at the time to reach a Brazilian girl without internet access. Fianna and Loup-Garou too I'd have contact later. But Egyptian and European mythologies? Far before.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
              #AutismPride
              She/her pronouns

Comment

I suspect that there's some sort of correlation between being a fantasy gamer and being a mythology/folklore nerd when young.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

I remember reading about Fenris in a book on Norse Mythology in the 5th grade.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                    I remember reading about Fenris in a book on Norse Mythology in the 5th grade.
                    He was in the AD&D 2nd ed Legends & Lore book, so I almost certainly read about him there in elementary school.

Comment

Wendigo. It's one of the short stories in Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz.

Comment

On a tangent, I wish I could remember where I read a short story (back in the 80s, I think) about the Wendigo being released from a stone cairn out somewhere in the badlands and menacing/possessing the character who found it. I thought it might be in the story you mention, but that proved not to be the case.

Comment

First place I encountered the Wendigo myth was Marvel comics, in the issue of The Incredible Hulk where Wolverine had his first appearance, as well as the Handbook to the Marvel Universe entry. I can't recall if I read the Algernon Blackwood story before or after 1st ed Werewolf came out.

Comment

The Marvel Comics character was also my first encounter.

Community Content
                            Hunters Hunted II Into the Darkness
                            V20 Sleepy Hollow

Comment

Working...
                            X