Garou Glyphs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garou Glyphs

Since it seems there are still many of you out there that still play Werewolf: the Apocalypse or the LARP, I have a site that might help you out. This site shows lots of the cannon glyphs found through out the oWoD books but also the creator of the dictionary's own glyphs.

Originally posted by LadiSilverfox View Post
    Since it seems there are still many of you out there that still play Werewolf: the Apocalypse or the LARP, I have a site that might help you out. This site shows lots of the cannon glyphs found through out the oWoD books but also the creator of the dictionary's own glyphs.
    I continue to press Richard for an official Glyph guide/book, or some simple program that allows folks to move Glyphs, or parts of glyphs around to make their own, or make props for their games.
    There are also several things that really do need glyphs, but have no official representation (like Rank!).
    The only issues I have with some of the glyph sites is that they don't (or rarely do) show when a glyph is fan-made, or from a book.

- Arthur "Torakhan" Dreese David "Wall-of-Text" Tealdeer - US2012070036​ - Grand Rapids, MI

V:tM 20thHunters Hunted IIAnarchs UnboundW:tA 20thW20 Changing BreedsExalted 3rd EditionM:tA 20thW20BotW

Comment

I love glyphs. This website has been sort of helpful to me in the past, but the layout is hard for me to manage on my phone (which is what I use when I'm randomly having to look up a glyph for something.) I love the Silver record booklet, but I wish there were more in it. There are only a small amount of concept and there's some glyphs in the books that are so jumbled together in a mess that it's hard to deconstruct them. How about glyphs for Colors? I tried making a system for that. a simple tree image with a few marks representing a condition of the tree and therefore the color. Tree with leaves = green, tree with rain = blue, tree with snow = white, tree with fire = red, tree with sun = yellow, tree with bare sticks = burned, black Etc. And how about glyphs for ocean creatures? I'm sure Garou who have settled by the shorelines have seen more than just shark and fish.
      Last edited by Darling_Rose; 11-26-2013, 10:22 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

The other issue is that other changing breeds have the thicker claws like the Garou do. And yet there are no glyphs for ranks (Heck, there's no Garou glyph ranks either like Torakhan said), auspices or name titles for different groups for them. There's even no auspice or rank glyphs for the Hengeyokai, which have Garou in their alliance (I even created my own glyphs due to noticing that).
        The Silver Record book was also made way before the Ajaba finally got their official glyph in Revised books.

Whereas the Bastet and Corax glyphs are unique styles due to the shape of their claws. The only Bastet group that would have issues trying to draw the Bastet glyphs would be the Swara because cheetahs have claws more like canine species do. And there's no special way to call the other Bastet clans in a Garou glyph translation if the Garou were to know them more other than filing them all under the "Bastet/Cat" glyph. And yeah, the Bastet ranks are the hardest thing to translate into glyphs.

Also, how does one try to represent certain Weaver concepts like Plastic in glyph form, since there are Plastic spirits?
        Iron was easy enough for me to figure out to make a glyph for (Fire+Metal), where Steel was Fire+Air(Because of Oxygen)+Metal. Lantern/Artificial Light by using the "Park" glyph and Fire together (Putting the fire within the box, aka confined light).

Edit: I'm also a very visual person, so it's easier for someone like me to deconstruct parts of glyphs (Especially when you see certain marks repeated in other glyphs). Glyphs for color is interesting to put in a new book, but I wouldn't go using the same glyphs you did, Darling Rose. Instead, I would look up the primitive sources of actually getting those pigments for those colors and then try to create new glyphs from that. As for getting the color, blue? Heh heh... (There was a Wild West Tech episode on that one).
        Last edited by Laughing Hyena; 11-26-2013, 11:18 PM.

Rage CCG Collector and Artist. Visit the Rage CCG Forums.

Comment

Yeah, that site is good ^^

It even has a request system for deedname glyphs, and I'm waiting for few of my own to get 'em. So, good stuff.

My gallery.

Comment

An updated, much more inclusive book of just Glyphs was something I suggested to Richard Thomas as KickStarter stretch goals a few times, but I think that it likely opens up a whole can of worms and extra work for him (since he's the one who created them in the first place.)

Maybe what we need to do is really come up with a list of the terms we'd LIKE (or have) Glyphs for and see what we can do to make those happen.

- Arthur "Torakhan" Dreese David "Wall-of-Text" Tealdeer - US2012070036​ - Grand Rapids, MI

V:tM 20thHunters Hunted IIAnarchs UnboundW:tA 20thW20 Changing BreedsExalted 3rd EditionM:tA 20thW20BotW

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Hyena View Post
              The other issue is that other changing breeds have the thicker claws like the Garou do. And yet there are no glyphs for ranks (Heck, there's no Garou glyph ranks either like Torakhan said), auspices or name titles for different groups for them. There's even no auspice or rank glyphs for the Hengeyokai, which have Garou in their alliance (I even created my own glyphs due to noticing that).
              The Silver Record book was also made way before the Ajaba finally got their official glyph in Revised books.

Whereas the Bastet and Corax glyphs are unique styles due to the shape of their claws. The only Bastet group that would have issues trying to draw the Bastet glyphs would be the Swara because cheetahs have claws more like canine species do. And there's no special way to call the other Bastet clans in a Garou glyph translation if the Garou were to know them more other than filing them all under the "Bastet/Cat" glyph. And yeah, the Bastet ranks are the hardest thing to translate into glyphs.

Also, how does one try to represent certain Weaver concepts like Plastic in glyph form, since there are Plastic spirits?
              Iron was easy enough for me to figure out to make a glyph for (Fire+Metal), where Steel was Fire+Air(Because of Oxygen)+Metal. Lantern/Artificial Light by using the "Park" glyph and Fire together (Putting the fire within the box, aka confined light).

Edit: I'm also a very visual person, so it's easier for someone like me to deconstruct parts of glyphs (Especially when you see certain marks repeated in other glyphs). Glyphs for color is interesting to put in a new book, but I wouldn't go using the same glyphs you did, Darling Rose. Instead, I would look up the primitive sources of actually getting those pigments for those colors and then try to create new glyphs from that. As for getting the color, blue? Heh heh... (There was a Wild West Tech episode on that one).

When I had to use Ghural Glyphs I made them very blocky and square versions of Garou glyphs. Thicker too.

oo care you share your created glyphs? maybe we can compile our own pictogram library of suggestions and have Onyx Path sign off on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Torakhan View Post
                The only issues I have with some of the glyph sites is that they don't (or rarely do) show when a glyph is fan-made, or from a book.
                Actually if you read the bottom of the first page you will see "* Denotes Glyphs designed by me and are not located in any White Wolf published materials. All Glyphs designed by me are strongly influenced by the preexisting Glyphs published in White Wolf's "The Silver Record" as copyrighted by White Wolf in 1999. Glyphs appearing on this site without the mark are scans from "The Silver Record" or other published works by White Wolf, such as supplements for Werewolf: The Apocalypse. This Glyph Dictionary is for recreational use for anyone still playing Werewolf: The Apocalypses or One World by Night based of the Second Edition White Wolf materials."

So any glyph that ends in a * was made by the glyphmaker of the site.

Comment

@ Darling Rose: I need to get a white base first for some of the glyphs I posted on Tumblr. Because it was only until later, that I noticed some had transparent backs. It shouldn't be hard to do in Gimp art program for me, but I'm also a bit busy with Thanskgiving coming up (I have to make some cookies today). I'll edit this post in the thread after Thanksgiving with the links to them later.
                  Edit: Here's the Link: Hengeyokai Auspice and Rank Glyphs
                  And another: Changing Breed Glyphs for Tribe/Aspect/Auspice/Paths (No Bastet, Mokole, or Corax)

Anyways, some ancient/native natural sources for color pigment and etc. (For making glyphs on color and for Darling Rose):
                  White = Crushed Bone/Ivory/Burnt shells, kaolin clay, powdered gypsum, or powdered calcium carbonate
                  Yellow = Limonite, curly dock root, sumac root, Cattle urine
                  Red = Hematite or baked Limonite, Pucoon roots, Insects from the prickly pear cactus, blood
                  Orange = Realgar, Turmeric powder, saffron, crocoite, crocus sativus flower, curcuma long plant, heating lead oxide
                  Brown = Walnut/Pecan hulls, decayed flesh/skin (Known as Mummy Brown), powdered lignite
                  Blue = Wode (A legume plant), indigo plant, blueberries, crushed azurite/lapis, dried duck manure
                  Green = Grass plants, crushed leaves, pond algae, powered malachite
                  Purple/Violet = Hematite, manganese, Murex Sea Snail, Sea Urchin, Purpura Snail, Lichen (archil or dyer's moss) combined with urine, blackberries/mulberries, logwood tree
                  Black = Charcoal, soot/ashes, manganese oxide
                  Paint Binders = Human spit, hide glue, bone marrow fat, bear grease, prickly pear cactus juice, yucca roots/leaves, soaproot, egg whites, milkweed sap/plant saps, urine
                  Glue = Boiled Animal Hides
                  Last edited by Laughing Hyena; 11-29-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for those suggestions LH. Question though, so you mean would wouldn't create glyphs to describe colors, instead you would have the Garou use old painting sources for colors and paint the carved glyphs? Wouldn't that negate the intended camouflage of the glyph where it would appear to most people as just funny animal claw marks if it was pigmented?

Comment

No, no. I meant that the glyphs for color would represent the earliest known sources for getting that color. They would also be 'double' meaning glyphs, in the case of things like blood. To separate it from from just meaning 'blood' on it's own, one would have to come up with an added glyph/s that goes with it that means "color". I think borrowing the tiny marks around the "Creator/artist" glyph would do, since the mark in the middle for that one means "Howl". Or trying to find a way to add both glyphs together.
                      So for 'White', one might use part of the Ajaba glyph for breaking bone. "Red = Blood", would be some take on the Red Talon Tribe glyph, probably claw marks with other claw marks going down the side to look like dripping blood. And so on
                      Since Green = Grass, that would be the earth/Gaia glyph with a bunch of tiny marks coming out from the ground.

Comment

Fantastic work folks! Just a couple of thoughts to bear in mind as you create these (these were the same thoughts I kept in mind when I first created the glyphs): try not to be too literal in the imagery- a lot of times you want to try and express the feeling more than accurately combining this glyph with that one. It's a symbol system and not an alphabet so there's room for interpretation. One of the things I always thought was likely was that the Garou (or any shape shifter) would also incorporate scent with the glyph, so we're not getting the full impact or meaning with them just on paper anyway. I stayed away from color as much as possible- the Silver in Silver Record is meant to describe the metal, not the color- like the way that there's not part of the Red Talons glyph that is specifically for red since that glyph in its entirety is known to mean "RedTalons". But surely the addition to the glyphs to specifically add a color would happen as the glyphs needed to have additional usages through history. It makes sense that the human part would want that. You just have to be careful with the idea of taking the colors from nature, which is definitely the way I'd have gone too, so that you handle it in such a way that the "bone" marks for the color white don't get mistaken for more symbolic meanings that we'd read into "bone".

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Hyena View Post
                          No, no. I meant that the glyphs for color would represent the earliest known sources for getting that color. They would also be 'double' meaning glyphs, in the case of things like blood. To separate it from from just meaning 'blood' on it's own, one would have to come up with an added glyph/s that goes with it that means "color". I think borrowing the tiny marks around the "Creator/artist" glyph would do, since the mark in the middle for that one means "Howl". Or trying to find a way to add both glyphs together.
                          So for 'White', one might use part of the Ajaba glyph for breaking bone. "Red = Blood", would be some take on the Red Talon Tribe glyph, probably claw marks with other claw marks going down the side to look like dripping blood. And so on
                          Since Green = Grass, that would be the earth/Gaia glyph with a bunch of tiny marks coming out from the ground.
                          I'm wondering how to make the Apis glyph Pissing, if that's going to represent yellow...

but I see what you mean. Thank you for clearing that up.

Comment

Originally posted by RichT View Post
                            Fantastic work folks! Just a couple of thoughts to bear in mind as you create these (these were the same thoughts I kept in mind when I first created the glyphs): try not to be too literal in the imagery- a lot of times you want to try and express the feeling more than accurately combining this glyph with that one. It's a symbol system and not an alphabet so there's room for interpretation. One of the things I always thought was likely was that the Garou (or any shape shifter) would also incorporate scent with the glyph, so we're not getting the full impact or meaning with them just on paper anyway. I stayed away from color as much as possible- the Silver in Silver Record is meant to describe the metal, not the color- like the way that there's not part of the Red Talons glyph that is specifically for red since that glyph in its entirety is known to mean "RedTalons". But surely the addition to the glyphs to specifically add a color would happen as the glyphs needed to have additional usages through history. It makes sense that the human part would want that. You just have to be careful with the idea of taking the colors from nature, which is definitely the way I'd have gone too, so that you handle it in such a way that the "bone" marks for the color white don't get mistaken for more symbolic meanings that we'd read into "bone".
                            Ahh.. thank you for weighing in here. In the Silver record there were a few glyphs that seemed to be exactly the same for slightly different things. Like the Glyph for metal And silver were exactly the same, but there wasn't a symbol for Gold which Mokole and Corax would probably have. Are there any problems or rules we should know about if we were to make a database of glyphs based off of your work? I suppose they might not be canon, but it would be a nice creative addition to some storytelling to provide a picture. If we could put together a database I don't know if we would have to omit all the Glyphs in the Silver record or a certain number of them to avoid infringing on copyright. I remember that happened with Lady Mox's giff library where many of us players used to get glyph art for our character web pages. I remember it being shut down for having "too many" of White-Wolf's trademarked symbols. The site came back, but with a lot fewer giffs to pick from. If someone puts up a library of canon and fan made glyphs, I hope it won't cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Darling_Rose View Post
                              Ahh.. thank you for weighing in here. In the Silver record there were a few glyphs that seemed to be exactly the same for slightly different things. Like the Glyph for metal And silver were exactly the same, but there wasn't a symbol for Gold which Mokole and Corax would probably have. Are there any problems or rules we should know about if we were to make a database of glyphs based off of your work? I suppose they might not be canon, but it would be a nice creative addition to some storytelling to provide a picture. If we could put together a database I don't know if we would have to omit all the Glyphs in the Silver record or a certain number of them to avoid infringing on copyright. I remember that happened with Lady Mox's giff library where many of us players used to get glyph art for our character web pages. I remember it being shut down for having "too many" of White-Wolf's trademarked symbols. The site came back, but with a lot fewer giffs to pick from. If someone puts up a library of canon and fan made glyphs, I hope it won't cause problems.
                              If it becomes a problem of having too many copyright pieces on a site then one could simply remove those but leave the fan-made custom pieces. Do you remember if the other libraries of Glyphs you know of that closed said anywhere on the site that the Glyphs they were using were the property of White-Wolf? (Hoping the disclaimer on the dictionary linked above keeps it from getting a letter that will make it shut down... *hope, hope* )

Comment

Working...
                              X