No announcement yet.

Garou Glyphs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Illustrator and other vector programs may be a better place to find a "brush" that works. Unfortunately, it also really needs either randomness in the brush (so that two strokes next to each other don't look the same), or a whole group of brushes that can be used and chosen from.
    Like, 20 that start blunt, and end sharp, and 20 that start sharp and end sharp.
    SOME vector programs are also pressure-sensitive. This would be the best sort of program to use as well.

To be honest, I don't think that a Photoshop paintbrush is quite going to give the same style of "texture" that Rich created back in 1992 and continued to be the style from then on. Then again, maybe something that is more, er, "natural" in its outline/silhouette may work better if we wanted it to be more "Realistic"?

So, yeah... my suggestion would be to look at a vector program--not only would it be able to create the contours that you're looking for, but then it would be in vector format.

- Arthur "Torakhan" Dreese David "Wall-of-Text" Tealdeer - US2012070036​ - Grand Rapids, MI

V:tM 20thHunters Hunted IIAnarchs UnboundW:tA 20thW20 Changing BreedsExalted 3rd EditionM:tA 20thW20BotW

Comment

Originally posted by Torakhan View Post
      To be honest, I don't think that a Photoshop paintbrush is quite going to give the same style of "texture" that Rich created back in 1992 and continued to be the style from then on. Then again, maybe something that is more, er, "natural" in its outline/silhouette may work better if we wanted it to be more "Realistic"?
      If I remember correctly, in one of the Darker Days Radio podcasts there was an interview that mentioned that the glyphs were created by taping sharpie pens/markers around each finger as a "claw". So the hand could make claw-like markings with each marker on a finger.

I've been also looking up Bastet glyphs, but no one has really created anything with them. Corax, are probably best with a few simple concepts with their glyphs.

Rage CCG Collector and Artist. Visit the Rage CCG Forums.

Comment

If there's any software tools for drawing Chinese calligraphy, specifying brushstrokes as vectors, that would probably work great as a base for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveller View Post
          If there's any software tools for drawing Chinese calligraphy, specifying brushstrokes as vectors, that would probably work great as a base for this.
          Those were the kind of brushes I was thinking of. I've seen them in use before, but couldn't remember the program. They can be programmed with a randomized formula for the characteristics of paint or marker so why not randomized jagged bits in claw marks?

Comment

What do you do if you have different looking fan-made glyphs of the same thing? It's more awkward when both artists can see which you've picked and you know them. Do you choose the one from the player that's been around longer? Or go with the aesthetic newb? Should the group vote which they like better and make that one the "official" one? Or throw both out and make your own as the ST?

This may also apply to the glyph archive as well some day.

Comment

Why would you need to pick one? Call them synonyms, or regional variations. It may be just one language but there's no reason there can't be SOME cases of multiple glyphs for the same meaning.

Comment

Unless one isn't very good, alter the meanings slightly and use both. So long as they're close enough in meaning, it just gives you a wider range of ways to say things.

Comment

Originally posted by Darling_Rose View Post
                  What do you do if you have different looking fan-made glyphs of the same thing? It's more awkward when both artists can see which you've picked and you know them. Do you choose the one from the player that's been around longer? Or go with the aesthetic newb? Should the group vote which they like better and make that one the "official" one? Or throw both out and make your own as the ST?

This may also apply to the glyph archive as well some day.
                  Post both, IMO. There's really no reason to choose, because in the case of the Cyber Record, it's less about establishing an expanded lexicon than it is showing off how people have approached, interpreted, and put their own methods of thought into the pictograms; which means neither is really more valid than the other. There are some custom glyphs that I don't "agree" with, in the sense that I would have gone about it from a different perspective, but that's what makes it interesting also; I didn't think about it from that way. How might a lupus, metis, and homid think about this concept? How might it look different, as a result? If you asked each breed to create a glyph that encompasses their feeling and intent behind a concept, I bet each one would make something that looks different, even if there is a common theme.

For instance, Laughing Hyena has a bunch of Weaver concepts. If someone else has glyphs for a television or a car they want to contribute, I'll be posting those up as well. One set might appeal to one person or type of character more than the other.

Personally, I post up everything I receive. Some are still pending because they're waiting for the artist to send me a few more details, or how they want to be credited, or I'm just figuring out how to arrange them. (LH has a bunch of Hengeyokai glyphs I'm not entirely sure how I want to sort. Do I want to give them their own section? Do I want to split them up between the Rank, Renown, and Auspice sections? 3 in a row, or 4? Or should I try to squeeze 6 in a row? Hrrrrng.) But yeah, there's no reason to choose. The official glyphs can have lots of different implicit meaning, after all. The new moon symbol means Ragabash, but it could also be used to any of the themes attributed to the Ragabash, like stealth, questioning, trickery. Philodox could be used for anything having to do with laws, judgement. Even the simple Gaia symbol is both the entirety of the Earth Mother concept, as well as just the physical earth or land, and it is the core shape modified to mean life or death, and many others. I think that 'core concept' ... well, concept, with glyphs is part of what makes it so fun, interesting, and versatile. Context is what fills in the rest of a details between two very similar looking glyphs that mean different things, as well as the impression the whole symbol together gives, IMO.
                  Last edited by Yakecen-Sings; 05-31-2014, 06:01 PM. Reason: Typos!

Comment

As of now, all the custom glyphs that I've been sent or have been given green light to post up are on the Cyber Record - including the latest from Darling_Rose, such as her Yeren glyph.

Which means I'm on the hunt again! (Toooooorakhaaaaaaan.)

Comment

My activity here has sort of gone to a crawl since my schedule is a bit in flux at work, but I still got time to do weekly glyph uploads if any of y'all have some more custom ones you want to add to the Record. Just e-mail them to thecyberrecord@gmail.com along with any description or other info you might want included, and I'll get them up!

Comment

Hey, everyone. Sorry to revive such a long-dead post but the Garou Glyph Dictionary is officially down. Webs sold off to VistaPrint and all the glyphs are gone. When I found out they were down I thought it was something I could solve but they had gotten rid of all the images on their servers and I couldn't download them back to my computer. This, unfortunately, comes at a time where almost all my hard copies of my original glyphs are somewhere in a storage unit in another state and my hard drive crashed and burned.

It was never my intention to say that I am the glyphmaker but desperate times and all. If anyone has a saved copy of any of my glyphs from the site I would be in your debtif you could message them to me so I may clean them up and get the site back up and running through Wix.com. Thank you!

Comment

I think The Wayback Machine can help you: https://web.archive.org/web/20190118...aker.webs.com/

Originally posted by LadiSilverfox View Post
                          Hey, everyone. Sorry to revive such a long-dead post but the Garou Glyph Dictionary is officially down. Webs sold off to VistaPrint and all the glyphs are gone. When I found out they were down I thought it was something I could solve but they had gotten rid of all the images on their servers and I couldn't download them back to my computer. This, unfortunately, comes at a time where almost all my hard copies of my original glyphs are somewhere in a storage unit in another state and my hard drive crashed and burned.

It was never my intention to say that I am the glyphmaker but desperate times and all. If anyone has a saved copy of any of my glyphs from the site I would be in your debtif you could message them to me so I may clean them up and get the site back up and running through Wix.com. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson View Post
                            I think The Wayback Machine can help you: https://web.archive.org/web/20190118...aker.webs.com/

Unfortunately, most of the images aren't there but the names of things are! You are my hero!

-----------------------

There were still a bunch I was missing (mostly from the first page.) At the very least it is enough to have a semi-complete version up again soon. Thank you!
                            Last edited by LadiSilverfox; Yesterday, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X