Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PEACH] Mockery Breed: The Vespa

Vespa
    The story of these wasp-shifters begin with an Ananasi, a werespider, named Devin Kelly. This peculiar werespider is known among his people as a Questioner under the ways of the Wyrm, supposed to test and examine the ways of destructions as a mean to restore the Triatic entity to its former role as a Destroyer and Balancer.
    Of course it's very difficult to keep contact with the Wyrm, in any aspect, and avoid spiritual corruption, and in Kelly's case the downward descent began with a nagging question: what could I do to ensure that the Destroyer could properly prey on my own race, so as to weed out the weak and make us stronger as a whole?
    After contacting and collaborating with Project Lycaon the result was the discovery of the Rite of Joining the Swarm, and the creation of the werewasps - the Vespa.
    Designed to hunt and kill Ananasi, the Vespa are very far from the efficient avatar of destruction Kelly envisioned them as - the mark of the Corrupter is all over them. They are weak-willed, most of them deranged; they are withdrawn and unfocused and tend to forget themselves in their swarm forms until roused. They are unsubtle, frenzying at a moment's notice, becoming a swarming mass of stinging death for anyone nearby, friend or foe. About the only way to truly control them is with mind-controlling Gifts or Rites that affect bugs. And yet in all their forms they are very good at making short work of their Ananasi prey.

Traits: All Vespa are not born, but made by Kelly and Project Lycaon from test subjects; they tend to choose individuals with high Physical Attributes, particularly Dexterity and Stamina, and Talents, but since they have to make do with whoever they can conveniently make to disappear at any given time these are in no way absolutes. The Deranged Flaw is extremely common among the Vespa.
    Vespa are universally female. If a male human is successfully subjected to the Rite of Joining the Swarm, he'll reform into a female version of himself after the first time he shifts in and out of his Examen form.

Breed: Vespa have only one breed, Homid. The females making up their Examen forms are completely sterile, and any child they bear is indistinguishable from a normal human infant. Kelly even experimented with having a freshly Joined male Vespa impregnating a female, but it seems they are incapable of producing metis. They seem to have lost the ability to shift into their breed form at will - they still have to roll at difficulty 7 or spend Rage if they want to shift.
    All Vespa begin with Rage 4, Gnosis 2, Willpower 2.

Forms: The Vespa have three forms - Homid, Regina and Examen
    In Regina form the Vespa can claw and bite as Garou do; she can also use her sting in a grapple, though it is too unwieldy to use it as a proper striking weapon. (See the Sting combat maneuver) The modifiers for this form are Str +1, Dex +4, Sta +1, App 0, Man -3. This form inflicts the Delirium in humans.
    In Examen form their Str and Sta attributes are largely irrelevant, but they gain a +6 to Dex. If an Examen Vespa loses roughly 50% of her body mass, she dies and the rest of the swarm reverts to normal wasps. Seeing a Vespa break down into this form inflicts the Delirium in humans.

Powers: Vespa spend rage as Garou do. They can frenzy with 4 successes on a Rage roll; the difficulty for frenzying is a flat 5, or 4 if the Vespa is in Examen form.
    A frenzied Vespa immediately shifts to Examen and tries to sting everything within 100 yards of the swarm until it is dead, prioritizing spiders or spider-like targets over others. While frenzying a Vespa gains one Rage point at the start of her turn, which must immediately be spent to gain an extra action. Vespa never enter fox frenzy.
    Vespa cannot stepsideways normally, but if they witness the current target of their attack entering or leaving the Umbra they can reflexively choose to follow. They don't need to roll Gnosis; they just step sideways with as many successes as their quarry rolled, suffering the same effects from a botch. They can do this even while frenzying.
    A Regina Vespa who successfully uses a Sting maneuver can inject her powerful poison into her victim. This incredibly painful neurotoxin inflicts a -4 wound penalty as long as it is in the target's system, on top of whatever wound penalty the victim is already suffering. While powers such as Resist Toxin work normally against the venom, powers that erase pain only reduce this penalty by half. To heal from the venom a creature must heal or regenerate a "virtual" point of lethal damage instead of her normal healing for each dose she was injected with. The player decides if he'd rather erase a venom dose or a health level from his character. Creatures without access to supernaturally fast healing take days to recover from the venom and might well go insane from the pain. Regina can inject a total of three doses before they have to rest to replenish them.
    An Examen Vespa can spend Gnosis while consuming arthropod or human flesh to heal her wound and recover lost body mass. For each Gnosis spent she can heal a lethal or bashing health level or gain 10% of her mass back; two Gnosis heal an aggravated wound. If feeding on a human she must strip roughly 10% of her victim's flesh for each Gnosis spent. Spending more than three Gnosis on a human victim will almost certainly kill her. Vespa don't have access to any other kind of regeneration.
    Examen Vespa don't seem to suffer from memory and identity loss rom losing body mass; indeed they don't seem to be forced to choose "leaders" and "drones" as Ananasi do in their Crawlerling form. Wether they have a true hive mind or are already too deranged and fragmented for their psyche to be further damaged not even Kelly can say.
    In any shape they wear Vespa are susceptible to the whims of the swarm inside them... meaning they can be targeted by any supernatural power affecting the will of a swarm of bugs of her size. They can spend a point of Willpower reflexively to ignore this flaw for a scene, but why bother?
    Vespa are immune to any kind of toxin, venom or poison, natural or supernatural, in any of their form. They can't learn Gifts and suffer no special vulnerability to any substance. They don't regain Rage from looking at Luna, but they recover it normally from embarassment or stress, plus a flat two points every day at sunrise.

Image: Vespa wearing the Homid form are physically undistinguishable from normal humans - but the spirits of the swarm incessantly crawl and buzz inside them, making them twitch and spasm almost constantly. This is very unsettling so Vespa wearing the Homid suffer from -2 dice to any and all Social rolls, except to intimidate.
    The Regina form, like the Ananasi's Lilian, can be any nightmarish amalgamation of a human and a giant wasp. All Regina sport sharp insectile mandibles and sharp claws on at least one pair of limbs. They also have a venomous sting, which is too unwieldy to use as a weapon except in the contest of a grapple. Some Regina sport vestigial wings, but they are too massive to even glide.
    The Examen form is similar to an Ananasi's Crawlerling: the Vespa breaks into a swarm of wasps or hornets of a mass equaling her own in Homid.

Background: The Vespa are kept in captivity by Project Lycaon until needed for a seek and destroy mission - while Ananasi are their preferred prey, they are effective shock troops against other threats as well.
    While some Vespa manage to come out of the Rite of Joining the swarm with more of their psyche intact, the majority of them are content to spend their non-working hours in their enclosures, wearing the Examen forms and killing everything they see. If a Vespa shows signs of wanting anything more she is terminated by Devin Kelly himself - he doesn't want his killing drones to get uppity.
    In battle they must be led by a supernatural being that can direct their insectile minds with Gifts or other powers - they would surely swarm and scatter away otherwise. Devin Kelly knows an Ananasi Gift capable of affecting the minds of bugs, but he loathes exposing himself on the field, so he has taught that same Gift to some Black Spiral Dancers affiliated with Project Lycaon.

Storytelling Notes: These pitiable creatures are possibly the most tragic of the Mockery Breeds - men and women who are subjected to an impossibly harrowing rite, remade into something utterly alien and used to kill and kill and kill until they outlive their usefulness.
    Should a Vespa manage to escape Pentex's - and Kelly's - grasp she could possibly remake herself into a somewhat functioning individual. Each of them has been a person once, and the potential for healing is there. If they ever congregate in numbers, they might try to collectively raise over their circumstances - likely by seeking to forge alliances with other shifters. Of course they are just as likely to be killed on sight by irate Garou, and even the most tolerant of the Fera would require these deranged Wyrm-tainted creatures to undertake many geas and ordeals to prove their sincerity and willingness to change.
    Then again, for now every single one of them is still firmly held in Project Lycaon's clutches. They are far more likely, for now, to be encountered as a maddened swarm of stinging terror in front of an organized Pentex assault.

Vespa Combat Maneuvers
    Sting: A Vespa in Regina form grappling an opponent can, instead of clinching, sting her opponent with a Strength+Brawl roll, difficulty 7. Success means she inflicts her Strength in dice of aggravated damage. If the Vespa inflicts at least one level of damage after soak she can inject a dose of venom.
    Usable by: Regina Roll: Strength+Brawl Difficulty: 7
    Damage: Strength Actions: 1
    Engulf: See the Ananasi maneuver of the same name from Changing Breeds

Devin Kelly
    This traitor to the Ananasi would surely be put to death by his own race if ever exposed - even other uncorrupted Hathar would loathe him for what he is doing and the danger he is putting all Ananasi in, not for creating these pitiable mockeries, but for revealing his identity to Project Lycaon.
    While Kelly doesn't show any outward sign of his fall to the Wyrm, he is definitely corrupt - perhaps in a subtler way than a slavering fomor, but Beast of War and Eater of Souls both whisper in the back of his mind as he works to perfect the Rite of Joining the Swarm and his pet creatures. The problem is that, having been both a Questioner and an arrogant bastard all his life, he thinks he is beyond reproach. He is genuinely convinced he is doing Ananasa's work by using the Wyrm's power to cull weak Ananasi and other shifters. He is further convinced that he is absolutely free from taint, and that he is using Project Lycaon for his own ends instead of the other way around. His more aware colleagues at Pentex, of course, laugh at his back.
    So far Ananasa has not revealed the identity of this traitor to her children, though she is making the elder of the race aware of the xistence of the Vespa. Should one of the Vespa do the unthinkable and exhange information about Kelly to the Ananasi in exchange for protection, they would move as one to obliterate him and all individuals involved in the Vespa project - perhaps they would allow the betraying Vespa a headstart as a courtesy and thank you.

The Rite of Joining the Swarm
    Level Five, Mystic
    The Rite designed by Devin Kelly allows for the joining of a swarm of wasps or hornets and a human into a Vespa - a werewasp.
    The rite requires to spin countless webs over the victims, so currently it cna only be performed by an Ananasi in Crawlerling form. It also requires a swarm of wasps - only social species will do, and the queen must be present. The human victim doesn't have to be bound and gagged for the rite to work, but it obviously helps. The ritemaster will also need a ready supply of fresh mammalian blood - some of it can be taken from the victim herself, but rather than risking hurting her further it's best to have anotehr couple humans available.
    This rite is an extended action. Each hour the Crawlerling dance over the human and entice the swarm with the movement of their legs. The excited wasps will then be mystically influenced to land on the human, where they are bound by webs to her skin - there to first repeatedly sting and envenom her, then start biting into her flesh and burrowing into her. At the end of each hour the ritemaster spends three blood points and rolls Wits+Rituals, difficulty 7. A botch means the rite immediately stops working, and the victim can never be subjected again to it - she will probably die of anaphylactic shock in minutes anyway. A failure carries no penalties.
    After the ritemaster has rolled her Wits+Ritual the victim immediately rolls Stamina at a difficulty of 8-the number of successes the ritemaster achieved for that particular hour. This difficulty increases by 2 if the ritemaster has foolishly decided to drain more than 2 blood points from the victim during the rite. A failure means the victim dies an agonizing death.
    Once the ritemaster has accumulated 25 successes the rite is successfully concluded with the binding of the queen of the swarm in the chest of the human. At this point the victim rolls her permanent Willpower at a difficulty of 8. She loses all her permanent Willpower, except one point for each success. If she rolls one or zero successes she keeps 2 points of Willpower anyway - but immediately gains the Deranged flaw. If she botches the damage done to her mind is best adjudicated by the storyteller. Regardless, she also gains 4 Rage and 2 Gnosis - she is now a newly reborn Vespa.
    Last edited by Vidyaraja; 09-07-2014, 11:33 PM.

I like this. There's some things I don't agree with (isn't rage a luna gift? How would they get that?) but otherwise it looks solid. Instead of giving them claw attacks though id give them a viscous bite, and make the sting str+3 agg, at least against spiders. They're their "natural" predators, so perhaps attacks that hurt them more then other species?

Like how some spiders are deadly to humans but not dogs.

WoD-Dark Eras!! (Backed for Viking Age Werewolf)

Comment

I like this an most lily will use it in my Fera game

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrics Of War View Post
        I like this. There's some things I don't agree with (isn't rage a luna gift? How would they get that?) but otherwise it looks solid. Instead of giving them claw attacks though id give them a viscous bite, and make the sting str+3 agg, at least against spiders. They're their "natural" predators, so perhaps attacks that hurt them more then other species?

Like how some spiders are deadly to humans but not dogs.
        About Rage, idk, I saw other Mockery Breeds have it. I suppose it comes from Beast of War or something. I toyed with the idea of giving them blood or flesh points.
        I also wanted to go easy on the "this thing does X but against spiders it does X+Y" because, well, at that point I might just write that they have the power of giving Ananasi heart attacks just by looking at them. But their venom having a bigger effect on spiders makes sense, I suppose.

I agree the claws aren't really necessary, but again, they seem to be universal amongs every CB. I like the viscous bite, are there any wasps that do that?

Comment

Over all I just wanted to say that I like this write up very much, I am going to try to work them in with my Scorpion mockeries next chance I have.

I am curious why you don't allow them to fly? Corax, despite their human mass in Crinos, are still able to fly albeit awkwardly. This would allow them access to their stinger as their primary weapon which makes more sense then Claws or Biting (A lot of people say wasps bite them when its a breed of bee/hornet/wasp that can sting multiple times thus leaving no stinger). The sheer size of their mandible however would make it a very possible attack method. You could focus some more "natural" abilities into them since they don't have access to gifts, like how the new Were-Frog mockery has a variety of "gifts" they can access in their Crinos form.

Some abilities possible including Stinger which they can attack with, has a venom, and maybe they can spend a BP/Rage to detach the stinger on a successful strike and hinder the unlucky victum (Like Spur Claw, Ahroun Rank 1). Maybe also give them access to the Ananasi gift Cling while in Regina form. Also, wasps are able to communicate non-verbally through the use of pheromones so maybe allow them to use the Mindspeak gift amongst themselves, or to summon nearby swarms of normal wasps to hinder the victum and/or summon other members of his breed (Brethren Call, Ananasi Rank 4).

Think the other Mockeries have Rage because they aren't insects, we will have a better gauge of this line of thinking once we get a look at the Cockroach breed they are going to put into the new BotW. I think Blood Points would suit their "natural" abilities better, its one of the things that made the insect shifters different from the others and they also are the product of an Ananasi experiment.

Comment

I like this write-up, seems pretty solid.

I just wonder if you don't mind adapting to NWoD. I have this deranged scientist of The Cheiron Group in plan who is morbidly fascinated with shifters. He succeeded in creating pseudoshifters of "naturally occuring" shifter type, but that's not enough for him, creating a new breed from scratch would be opus magnum of his.

“I am absolute, I am perfect, I am supreme. I shall be eternal. My tragedy, is that there is no other fate for me. My powerlessness was that I couldn’t subjugate my journey to the gods, while dreaming of rebirth at the end of distant time, like other pharaohs.” Ramesses II, Fate/Prototype: Argent Fragments.

Comment

Originally posted by Katsura
              I like this write-up, seems pretty solid.

I just wonder if you don't mind adapting to NWoD. I have this deranged scientist of The Cheiron Group in plan who is morbidly fascinated with shifters. He succeeded in creating pseudoshifters of "naturally occuring" shifter type, but that's not enough for him, creating a new breed from scratch would be opus magnum of his.
              Sorry, I don't know anything at all about nWoD, but thanks a lot for the compliment

Originally posted by Derzhuzad
              Over all I just wanted to say that I like this write up very much, I am going to try to work them in with my Scorpion mockeries next chance I have.

I am curious why you don't allow them to fly? Corax, despite their human mass in Crinos, are still able to fly albeit awkwardly. This would allow them access to their stinger as their primary weapon which makes more sense then Claws or Biting (A lot of people say wasps bite them when its a breed of bee/hornet/wasp that can sting multiple times thus leaving no stinger). The sheer size of their mandible however would make it a very possible attack method. You could focus some more "natural" abilities into them since they don't have access to gifts, like how the new Were-Frog mockery has a variety of "gifts" they can access in their Crinos form.

Some abilities possible including Stinger which they can attack with, has a venom, and maybe they can spend a BP/Rage to detach the stinger on a successful strike and hinder the unlucky victum (Like Spur Claw, Ahroun Rank 1). Maybe also give them access to the Ananasi gift Cling while in Regina form. Also, wasps are able to communicate non-verbally through the use of pheromones so maybe allow them to use the Mindspeak gift amongst themselves, or to summon nearby swarms of normal wasps to hinder the victum and/or summon other members of his breed (Brethren Call, Ananasi Rank 4).

Think the other Mockeries have Rage because they aren't insects, we will have a better gauge of this line of thinking once we get a look at the Cockroach breed they are going to put into the new BotW. I think Blood Points would suit their "natural" abilities better, its one of the things that made the insect shifters different from the others and they also are the product of an Ananasi experiment.
              I didn't give them the ability to fly, or to cling, or anything else for two reasons: to avoid Storyteller's Pet syndrome first, and second, because if you read other Mockery Breeds' write-ups they really feel incomplete, all of them. War Wolves have two forms, Anurana can't breed right and have no Gifts, Yeren have two forms... I figured it's because they weren't made by Gaia so they lack a lot of spiritual mojo

So, the reason these guys can't fly is that the rite creating them doesn't have enough spiritual power to allow them to break physics to that extent. Already they feel more complete than most, what with their full complement of forms and their custom-tailored immunity to venom. They even get Replenishment of the Flesh for free.

Maybe they need a spiritual patron to bless them before they unlock more of their potential.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know anything at all about nWoD, but thanks a lot for the compliment
                Well, I wanted to adapt it myself, I just asked for permission since it's always polite to ask beforehand

“I am absolute, I am perfect, I am supreme. I shall be eternal. My tragedy, is that there is no other fate for me. My powerlessness was that I couldn’t subjugate my journey to the gods, while dreaming of rebirth at the end of distant time, like other pharaohs.” Ramesses II, Fate/Prototype: Argent Fragments.

Comment

Originally posted by Katsura View Post

Well, I wanted to adapt it myself, I just asked for permission since it's always polite to ask beforehand
                  Ah, I read that as if I coudl adapt it to WoD!

Sure, go ahead, use it however you want. I'll take that as a compliment, so you have my thanks!

Comment

Katsura, have you looked into stun's background from bloody roar 2? Might be up your ally

WoD-Dark Eras!! (Backed for Viking Age Werewolf)

Comment

Vidyaraja, I was reading an article today about the 10 largest insects and on there was a Wasp called the Tarantula Hawk, it has hooks on its limbs. Those hooks on a Vespa could definitely do claw like damage. Hooks like these would make the grappling action easier for them to perform, and ultimately make their stinger a more attractive weapon even without the use of their wings.

Also, the females are one of those breeds that after stinging its prey it leaves its eggs in side of them until they are mature enough to take off on their own, as a mockery breed that would be a creepy fomori like ability that would be interesting in play.
                      Last edited by Derzhuzad; 09-11-2014, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Derzhuzad View Post
                        Vidyaraja, I was reading an article today about the 10 largest insects and on there was a Wasp called the Tarantula Hawk, it has hooks on its limbs. Those hooks on a Vespa could definitely do claw like damage. Hooks like these would make the grappling action easier for them to perform, and ultimately make their stinger a more attractive weapon even without the use of their wings.

Also, the females are one of those breeds that after stinging its prey it leaves its eggs in side of them until they are mature enough to take off on their own, as a mockery breed that would be a creepy fomori like ability that would be interesting in play.
                        Tarantula Hawks are awesome, and I definitely considered them
                        However, I liked the idea of using only social wasps for the Breed... Though there is really no reason why the Rite couldn't be modified to include non-social wasps as well
                        They are also a lot bigger than even hornets, so maybe I would have to modify their stats somewhat... Then again maybe not: Ananasi crawlerlings range from pin-sized to tarantulas and they don't have different stats

I'll write something up and you'll let me know what you think

Comment

It could serve as method to, ekhem, create more of their kind, especially if one of them escapes from the facility and does not get recaptured.

Comment

Originally posted by Katsura View Post
                            It could serve as method to, ekhem, create more of their kind, especially if one of them escapes from the facility and does not get recaptured.
                            That was kind of what I was thinking when i read that characteristic, reminded me of an ability that the Grey Masses have or like that new bane that infects Vampires. Maybe they could infect humans to create drones, allowing the Vepsa to have its own little 'swarm' Or have a wounded Garou or Ananasi make it to safety only to have a small swarm of wasps or one large wasp burst out of them later.

The drone idea definitely gives true Vespa the Queen like feel. Instead of a full Vespa, the Drone would have a Homid and Glabro or Pithus like form.

Comment

Gave War Against The Pure quick look and it certainly supports a creation of even weeks old shapeshifter species through artificial methods. Practically mechanics cover everything except for Wyrm taint. Since they are unnatural, I have this option of them being unable to deal with spirit realms. Still, they can be a project of somebody who needs well coordinated super soldiers (I think in Forsaken shifters cannot stay in warforms too long, so they should be worth "investment" even in Homid) and has flexible morality.

This laying eggs method of creating more shapeshifters could be covered as deliberate creation method of creating more shapeshifters. Surely less pleasant than the Embrace of the Kindred, but still a new shifter emerges. To disallow going overboard their should be maybe Willpower cost for creating new ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X