X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boneguard
    replied
    Originally posted by Derzhuzad View Post
    Boneguard, I don't think that is a bad idea, we would really need to flesh out a lot of these ideas though. Many of them are only conceptual and I think it would be a good idea to contemplate not only additional tribes, but how they would change the Garou world if someone wanted to use them.

I Agree, as you've indicated a lot of those ideas are still at the conceptual level and a lot of fleshing out would be required - including my own ideas - but even if we start with a 2-pager (like the other Tribes) and then slowly add to it, it could be a fun project for us.

Because so far we have:
    - Yourself (Derzhuzad) : Dusk Walker, Hollow Walker, Hungry Ghost/Endless Hunger, South American Uktena offshoot, OneSong Wolves and Remnant of the Glass Walker.
    - CeltSPZ : Pan American coalition
    - Ana Mizuki : Domini Canis, Lycaon
    - Myself (Boneguard) : Early Warder of Man, Pre-Australian Bunyip (maybe Singing Dog), Pre-curse Silent Strider
    - Augustus Den : (Bane) Wendigo, (Weaver) Glass Walker and Iron Master (Remnant of the (Wyld) Glass Walker)

Which is quite a lot, would give a lot of potential/flexibility and would keep us busy for some time. And nothing preclude helping each other with ideas, suggestion and figure out the bigger picture of how do they change the Garou World -especially if we also consider potential alternate History.

Well the idea is out there, let's see what others think or id anyone else has New/Revamped or alternate Tribes to offer

Leave a comment:

• Derzhuzad
    replied
    Agusustus, I have always figured it was time for the tribe to go through its next incarnation in one way or another, so I have done the Glasswalker schism before myself. In one game the Cryberdogs successfully managed to take over the tribe and lead them to fall to the Weaver, we called them the OneSong Wolves. The remaining Glass Walkers that didn't chose to follow the tribes direction split off entirely and left Cockroach greatly weakened. In current game terms I think this would have pushed him to look at the new Were-roaches much more closely as an option.

Boneguard, I don't think that is a bad idea, we would really need to flesh out a lot of these ideas though. Many of them are only conceptual and I think it would be a good idea to contemplate not only additional tribes, but how they would change the Garou world if someone wanted to use them.

Leave a comment:

• Boneguard
    replied
    The Wendigo and Glass Walkers shift I can easily see...Hell even the Uktena needs to be carefully watch.

Maybe we should create a (fan) Book of alternate Tribes.We detail our ideas and one of us could compile everything in a Word Document (I'm not the best and it's pretty basic stuff, but I've done a few fan material for other games)

Leave a comment:

• Augustus Dens
    replied
    I have a few ideas I'm currently working on. They still need fleshing out but here they are:

Wendigo: Formerly a tribe of native american werewolves, the Wendigo have since fallen to the darker spirits. Unlike the Black Spiral Dancers, the Wendigo do not dance the Black Spiral. Instead they fused with banes and have become horrible hybrids of Garou and Spirit who sustain themselves by feeding on men and other Garou. They represent the anger the native tribes have against the western invaders.

Glass Walkers: Currently the only known tribe to have fallen to the Weaver. They've acquired strange new powers from their new masters but have also lost some of their shapechanging abilities because of it. They are known to forcibly indoctrinate captured werewolves.

Iron Masters: Name taken from the Forsaken Tribe. They are what's left of the old Glass Walkers. They still serve a version of Cockroach and are viewed with apprehension by the other tribes. Glass Walkers also actively seek them out for conversion.

Leave a comment:

• Boneguard
    replied
    The Los Infeliz were a proper Sub-tribe (they only had 2 gifts (Auspice and Breed) not 3 to start) like the Siberakh. Granted though, they were much despised and not encourage to continue on, unlike the Siberakh.

Leave a comment:

• Ana Mizuki
    replied

I never got the sense that they were actually achieved sub-tribe status. They felt more like a camp in the Shadowlords, albeit a pariah camp, and then they died out in the late 1800's.
    Oh, definitely not. But W20 is supposed to include ALL the sub-groups, so them missing is sad. The space for Fera could have used better with the sub-groups, imho.

Leave a comment:

• Derzhuzad
    replied
    Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post
    Off-topic, but why didn't W20 include Los Infeliz at all ;_;
    I never got the sense that they were actually achieved sub-tribe status. They felt more like a camp in the Shadowlords, albeit a pariah camp, and then they died out in the late 1800's.

Leave a comment:

• Ana Mizuki
    replied
    Originally posted by Boneguard View Post

I was wondering that too. Are the Signing Dogs a "proto-bunyip" tribe that survive or a "post-bunyip" hold over that tried to find a new canid stock before going extinct.

Or are the Signing Dogs to the Bunyip was the Siberakh are to the Silver Fangs and the Los Infeliz to the Shadow Lord.
    To me, its neither. Remember than the White Howler TB involves the Ice Age as a event AFTER Howler's were formed. That means that the tribe that became Singing Dogs/Bunyip could have easily had its animal kin become the singing dogs over time. What I think the Singing Dogs are the Bunyip who didn't move to Australia. Remember that there was a tribe of wolves there once before the thyclacines. Considering how far other tribes have spread(outside xenophobic howlers), it makes sense that some garou didn't go to Australia with the majority of the tribe. As Rainbow Serpent/Bunyip left its blessing, Birds of Paradise took it over.

I'd actually give the Singing Dogs decent numbers, not just five members. To give an idea that tribes don't die easily, they change. So why haven't western garou encountered them much? Well, the area is VERY Fera friendly. Not as much garou friendly.

Off-topic, but why didn't W20 include Los Infeliz at all ;_;
    Last edited by Ana Mizuki; 12-30-2014, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Boneguard
    replied
    Boneguard I like the idea of the per-australian Bunyip, When I read about the Singing-Dogs sub-tribe, I imagined they were what the Bunyip used to be once upon a time..
    Ditto, it makes sense that they'd be related.
    I was wondering that too. Are the Signing Dogs a "proto-bunyip" tribe that survive or a "post-bunyip" hold over that tried to find a new canid stock before going extinct.

Or are the Signing Dogs to the Bunyip was the Siberakh are to the Silver Fangs and the Los Infeliz to the Shadow Lord.

Leave a comment:

• Derzhuzad
    replied
    These I honestly want to see detailed in the books, its such a great idea of bringing the tribe back in some way.
    They offer a couple of ways to justify having them in the modern day in the White Howlers tribe book. And besides the Ancestor Spirit in the the Dark Umbra they also have one more member of the tribe frozen somewhere in ice like Captain America who's totem always bring him back to life. Lots of possibilities to bring them back or never have them leave.

@Black Fox, that is pretty much how my write up for the yet unnamed tribe started. These camps already existed and were pariah of their parent tribes so they left. They found refuge in each others company and acceptance of what they have in common. They founded their own place to call their own and they got a spirit that was like minded to offer them aid.
    Last edited by Derzhuzad; 12-30-2014, 09:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ana Mizuki
    replied
    Boneguard I like the idea of the per-australian Bunyip, When I read about the Singing-Dogs sub-tribe, I imagined they were what the Bunyip used to be once upon a time.
    Ditto, it makes sense that they'd be related.

The Dusk Warders - They are basically based on an exert from the new Umbra book that talks about the last white howler ancestor spirit is a Wraith in the Dark umbra and has found a way to purify BSD. He has been there building up a sizable force from BSD that has wondered into the wrong place and has been teaching them the ways of the howlers. Gifts would be based on manipulating wraiths and spirits of the dark umbra. Have a few totem ideas, but they will never follow Lion hence they will never be White Howlers. They can not side step into the Near Umbra any longer, only the Dark Umbra, handled much like the Camazots side stepping. They have access to the Near Umbra only through a few places where the Near and Dark Umbra overlap.
    These I honestly want to see detailed in the books, its such a great idea of bringing the tribe back in some way.

Leave a comment:

• Black Fox
    replied
    In First Edition, it is mentioned that “most tribes originated out of a sept, and most septs first originate our of a pack”. The spirits of tribes were first “only” the totems of a sept and before that a pack. This describes that the Tribes of Garou were not ordained from the start, but developed over the course of history. At some very old point in time, there might have been far more “proto-tribes” than what is accepted today, except that eventually those proto-tribes fell apart at some point – going extinct or being assimilated by one of the greater tribes. However, if history had turned out differently, maybe there would be Garou Tribes whose tribal totem was Boar, Fox, Raven, or even Bear (the concept of discovering that there was once an almost tribe of Bear that was collaterla damage during the War of Rage would make an impressive epic Chronicle all itself)! This may even explain why the most popular pack totems in the corebook are the Tribal Totems, there are just as popular options which are not tribal totems.

So a good start would be taking these "extra" Totems and building new tribes out of them. It's just a matter of determining what their original kinfolk/territory was. Raven would be a good pick for a fourth Pure Ones tribe, probably based around the Pacific Northwest while moving the Wendigo Tribe more towards the central North America. There are lots of under explored territories - Garou are very European heavy, but Asia has lots of wolves. A Tribe with kinfolk at Mongolia or northern China whose totem is Boar might spice things up.

I also have a pet theory that the original Warders of Man were not Glasswalkers. Cockroach as a totem does not make much sense until urbanization achieves such size that the cockroach becomes synonymous with the city. A very early Weaver tribe would more likely have the Ant or Honeybee as a Totem since they connote industriousness and cooperation.

Leave a comment:

• Boneguard
    replied
    Oh I was tinkering with an Uktena offshoot in South America as well. They have something their called the Maned Wolf/Large Fox/Golden Dog which are all misnomers because its actually its own species entirely, but it would make a perfect edition to a lost subtribe of the Uktena who has made their own pact with the local Mokole. It also gives a native player in the amazon war. I have only used them once as an NPC and my players just assumed it was a Nuwisha or Kistune that was messing with them. As with most sub-tribes presented they have about 1 unique gift per rank, and theirs were most prankster oriented gifts.

I like this idea and it makes great sense that the Uktena would have made their way this far South along side their Indigenous Kinfolk and cohabit with the local Fera...even if they are simply a minor players. and ike the Red Talon in Africa (with the African Wild Dogs) they took an indigenous canid as there were no wolf to breed with.

I could also see the Dhole (more closely related to african wild dogs) being used by the Hakken and Stargaser in Asia in a similar fashion too.

Leave a comment:

• Derzhuzad
    replied
    Boneguard I like the idea of the per-australian Bunyip, When I read about the Singing-Dogs sub-tribe, I imagined they were what the Bunyip used to be once upon a time.

The three I mentioned above are the ones that I have been working on. They are:

The Dusk Warders - They are basically based on an exert from the new Umbra book that talks about the last white howler ancestor spirit is a Wraith in the Dark umbra and has found a way to purify BSD. He has been there building up a sizable force from BSD that has wondered into the wrong place and has been teaching them the ways of the howlers. Gifts would be based on manipulating wraiths and spirits of the dark umbra. Have a few totem ideas, but they will never follow Lion hence they will never be White Howlers. They can not side step into the Near Umbra any longer, only the Dark Umbra, handled much like the Camazots side stepping. They have access to the Near Umbra only through a few places where the Near and Dark Umbra overlap.

The Hollow Walkers are basically a fallen bunch that were based on the Bunyip. They lure in the Bunyip Totem be pretending to be his former followers reborn, then they use his despair over realizing they are not truly them to reawaken the old wounds of his loss. He falls and becomes their official tribal totem. They are distinct from the BSD because they have an instinctual hatred for all other garou.

The last actually doesn't have an a set name yet. Tossing around Hungry Ghosts and Endless Hunger. They are my most fleshed out of the three. The are basically Garou who have no problem with eating humans, or really anything at all. They are the members of the Man Eaters camp of the Bone Gnawers, the Eaters of the Dead from the Silent Stiders, and Members of all camps of the Red Talons but mostly Predator Kings. Their leader is a former Uktena Bane Tender who has come under the guidance of the powerful bane spirit it used to be warder of. Their leader calls her Dzoonokwa from her human tribes mythology, the spirit was betrayed by the Wyrm so she has no love for either side, but she has many spirits that follow her upon her awaking. Their are many Cannibalistic/Ogre spirits all around the world that offer them aid. Their gifts enhance their ability to hunt their prey or to gain something back during their cannibalistic acts.

Oh I was tinkering with an Uktena offshoot in South America as well. They have something their called the Maned Wolf/Large Fox/Golden Dog which are all misnomers because its actually its own species entirely, but it would make a perfect edition to a lost subtribe of the Uktena who has made their own pact with the local Mokole. It also gives a native player in the amazon war. I have only used them once as an NPC and my players just assumed it was a Nuwisha or Kistune that was messing with them. As with most sub-tribes presented they have about 1 unique gift per rank, and theirs were most prankster oriented gifts.

Leave a comment:

• Boneguard
    replied
    There are a few ideas I've been toying with -mostly for historical campaign- but that never got define more then a few brief lines.

1) "Early" Warder of Man, And I mean early. Agriculture/Hunter Gatherer era. As well as Akkadian/AssyrianBabylonian/ and other early Mesopotamian culture era.
    2) Pre-australian Bunyip. How were they before they breed with the Tasmanian Tiger...and before having gift that seems to be closerly related to the Indigenous Australian mythos).
    3) Pre-Curse Silent Striders.

The last one, I was alaso considering for a Campiagn them, where the Striders would seek to Break the curse.

Again, it's not much and need to be fleshed out quite a lot, but those are the 3 such revamped Tribe Ideas I have.
    Last edited by Boneguard; 12-29-2014, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X