Your Favorite Tribes: Which and Why!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Tribes: Which and Why!?

Hello, everyone! I am long-time fan of Werewolf the Apolcaypse (my favorite White Wolf game line), but given I am from Brasil, it occurred to me I don't know a lot about how the rest of the world plays Werewolf the Apocalypse, and what they love and hate about the game line!

My question right now, however, is pretty simple:

"Which are your Top 5 Favorite Tribes and Why?"

BONUS: Which is your Least Favorite Tribe and Why?

IA

Top 5:
    1. Red talons - heart of Garou nation. I love revised tribebook. It's one of my most favourite White Wolf book. Red talons view is very mature for me. Their look on Weaver, human herd ... theme of extinction and survival. I love the tribe for howling gifts, For everything
    2. Shadow lords - slavic tribe, sneaky and cunning. I love lords politics, struggle for domination, being top of the tops, their history with Vampires, Camazots and being badfellows on Wild West. They have Bringers of the light - my favourite camp. I realy like Margrave, and Gutierez for redemptioning part of the bat. And for Gevudan story.
    3. Get of Fenrir - I like them for scandinavian viking stories, for being not exactly stupid brutes. They have very fine tribe heroes, stories and legends. I like that they use hammers rather than klaives (made session around that theme), I like their courage and bravery and of course inner tribal politics. And their females are sexy
    4. Silver Fangs - three words - King Jonas Albrecht. I was'am'will be amazed by this character. I like fangs not for their madness but for their sane heroes like Grimfang, Albrecht, Loba and more. I like theme of fallen alphas, for shady camps like Grey raptors and I love when my player character frenzy everytime when someone speak about tribe weakness.
    5. Glass walkers - I like them for they weaver affinity. They are much more complex for me after reading Book of the weaver. They are tech tribe in almost every aspect, physical and spiritual. But I like them for cutting edge tech, corporate wars with Pentex, DNA and Vampires, for things they do and for camps. I like concept of Cyberdogs and many many more.

Honorable place: Black Spiral Dancers - evil mo.....rs. Tribe give's me plenty of ideas and oportunieties to scare, harass, annoy and outsmart my players. New gifts made them very terrifing (Grave claws!) besides new concept of Dancers who think that they already won is striking. And Dayalond

Least Favourite tribe - there's no least favouirite.
    I love them all.
    Last edited by werewolf43; 01-18-2016, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Top 5?

1) Bone Gnawers. First there's the fun of playing the under dogs. Second the Gnawers, for me, have the best that the Children of Gaia and the Glass Walkers, but aren't saddled with the baggage those Tribes have. The ways they eschew both mainstream Garou culture, and how they interact with human issues are both fun and actually pragmatic. They can be just at home in a major metropolis as they can in a backwoods town of a couple families. They understand the need to do more than kill their way through problems, and how much work needs to be done to help reduce the massive human suffering coming from the poor and out castes of humanity to actually fight back against the Wyrm.

2) Uktena (ok.... might be a bit of a theme here in terms of preferences..). By W20, they've been written very well as probably the best example of a Tribe with strong links to a select group of human cultures, without getting hung up on that origin. They might be strongest among Native American Tribes, but they've recognized the need to be more than that as an identity (unlike the Wendigo). The curiosity and mysticism angles are also a big plus for me. They're a Tribe that's about making characters that go out and do more than kill enemies, or getting caught up in one particular niche of what to go out and do.

3) Shadow Lords. A bit of a departure from the last two for sure. I just can't help but have a place in my heart for Tribe Manipulative Bastard. As is probably noticeable in my choices, I like Tribes that aren't too hung up on their human roots. They might know where they originated, but that's a minor concern for them compared to other things. I also love how they twist lupine hierarchy with human secret society methods to create a very unique culture to the Tribe alone.

4) Black Furies. The "all female except for Metis" part definitely knocks them down a lot for me, but I love them for playing a more traditional Garou Tribe. Without the big cause attached, they'd probably be #2 instead, but as is they beat out Tribes like the Fianna or Fenrir by having a much more balanced approach to things outside of gender politics.

5) Silver Fangs. Well... if I'm not going to play one of the Tribes more associated with the downtrodden/oppressed, I'm all in on the other direction of playing the elites. Much like the Gnawers, I definitely have a thing for them because of their strong value on not getting tied down to one area of the world or one ethnic group. I'm very glad for Revised giving a completely different spin on their weakness, even if W20 seems to be going back a bit on that. They're also good for my clear love of Tribes that have a tendency to buck tradition, but from the position of power instead.

Least favorite:

Easy. As I've probably spent too much time on before, the Red Talons are absolutely the bottom for me.

Even the solid writing of some of their material can't save them from a fundamental flaw: they're only real thing is being more wolf than you. There's no real complexity in their rejection of humanity, there's no cost like the Glass Walkers suffer for being disconnected from the wolf, or things to really explore in role-play. I have never seen (including threads here about this) anything about them that I don't like better as just playing a lupus - or member of a lupus only/dominated camp, including inter-Tribal camps - of another Tribe. Their philosophy is also so backwards, it basically says that a non-homid Tribe is either controlled entirely by insane or stupid Garou. The never ending need to prove themselves the wolfiest wolves that ever wolfed is actually a completely human way of thinking. Wolves don't care about controlling other species, or if other species go extinct. Nature is brutal, and it doesn't need them to be brutal for it.

Comment

Glass Walkers, Shadow Lords, Uktena, Fianna and Bone Gnawers.

Comment

1- Bone gnawers. If they could have pure breed, they'd be the undisputed masters of the garou nation. But the most important thing is that I really, Really dig the punk-magic hobo.

2 Get of fenrir. The closest tribe to gaia's original intentions for the garou (warriors) . I love their meritocratic 'Get good or don't join' mentality. Merely surviving the rites of passage makes you a badass. That, and their totem was a garou who became an Incarnae. Yep.

3- Glass walkers. Merely for the faction that becomes a load of terminators.

4/5 uktena/Fianna. They have cool things.

Comment

Get of Fenris- I REALLY didn't like this tribe at first, seeing them as nothing more than brutes. But as I read the revised tribebook, I started to understand how they work, and I liked it. The idea that each and every Fenrir has to prove themselves, regardless of breeding or breed, is neat. That, and how much they base their culture on controlling their Rage instead of letting it control them, makes for interesting playing.

Shadow Lords- As with the Fenrir, the Lords base more emphasis on skill versus breeding makes these guys interesting. That, and the fact that they are aware of the wrongs they did and are trying to fix them.

Bone Gnawers- City wolves without losing their wolf edge, pretty much. I also like the idea that they choose to be on the streets and do their good there. That, and that they are democratic.

Silver Fangs- As hidebound as they are, I do like the structure of the tribe. These guys are kings of the yesteryear, wanting to hold onto their old ways no matter what. I like the idea of this tribe struggling in the modern world, and failing.

-The not so favorite

Fianna- Aside from their metis hate, I generally am sad that no one plays the Fianna's other flaws. These guys are the strongest supporters of the Silver Fangs, and as such, tend to believe the old stories of War of Rage.

Children of Gaia- These guys are more here, because they've never really gotten a fair shake. As such, there are a variety of ways to do them 'right'. All better than the tribebooks they've gotten.

Uktena&Wendigo- These are here not because I have an issue with them. But rather because I will never play them due to me being Finnish and far from America. Maybe someday sami-wendigo, but we'll see.

My gallery.

Comment

I think pretty much everyone likes the Bone Gnawers. They have a bit of a sense of humor, the underdog status (no pun intended) and the low-urban magic is unique and fun. I'd say they are one of my favorite tribes. The Children of Gaia can be great under the right portrayal and I think they get a bad rep.

While the revised tribebook made me like them more, the Stargazers didn't quite click with me. I don't hate or dislike them, it just didn't.

Check out my DriveThruRPG books at: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse....=Carrie%20Kube

Comment

Silver Fangs. The blood of alpha wolves and kings of men flows through their veins. Each of Falcon's chosen has been called, not necessarily as a leader, but to be an example, a paragon that the rest of the Garou Nation can depend upon. But creeping madness infects their souls, tainting their honorable intentions and noble goals. How can the Silver Fangs save the world when they can not save themselves?

Uktena. Black secrets and a history marred by war, but not bitterness. The Uktena have shown wisdom and adaptability following the Westward Expansion, but their mystery engenders mistrust among the other tribes, and that may be their eventual downfall. The road to perdition is paved with the best of intentions.

Red Talons. To those with wolf-minds, millions of years is not so different from yesterday. The young of Griffin remember when great beasts walked Gaia, and they remind the other Garou that it was not so long ago in the reckoning of the Mother. Since the humans escaped the just culling of the Impergium, they have driven the world toward annihilation, a walking, consuming, breeding extinction event. Blood calls for blood. One species going extinct to save all the rest... it is but a small price to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post
                  Uktena&Wendigo- These are here not because I have an issue with them. But rather because I will never play them due to me being Finnish and far from America. Maybe someday sami-wendigo, but we'll see.
                  The Uktena have gotten increasingly more like the Gnawers and Children of Gaia in being were oppressed people are. It's really easy to have Uktena almost anywhere these days because of it.

Also, if you are following the BNS material for the new MET Werewolf book, it is taking this a bit further. In MET canon, Sami Wendigo are officially a thing (basically the metaplot for MET has caused all the old Wendigo bloodlines among the Eurasian indigenous arctic peoples from before the Tribe crossed into North America to reawaken; leading to a massive divide in the Tribe between those that have become consumed by their identity as the "angry Native American" Tribe, and those that want to move towards a bigger tent Tribe.

Comment

1.) Stargazers: I loved their take of buddhism and merging it with their views of Gaian cosmology
                    2.) Silent Strider: Egyptian fluff. Tragic flaw. all around badasses
                    3.) Shadow Lords: My most common played tribe. Cunning, ruthless, understands the sense of doing wrong to defeat an opponent for the greater good.

Comment

My top five favorites...

1. Glass Walkers, especially when I use my homebrewed Roman origins and motifs for them. But even played 100% canon, they're still my favorite tribe
                      2. Get of Fenris, because Vikings are awesome
                      3. Black Furies, I like both Ancient Greece and the Woman Warrior archetype, so they are a choice tribe for me!
                      4. Stargazers, love the Eastern mystic angle they have. I hate that Revised Edition had them leave the Garou Nation, so I ignore that part and keep them in
                      5. Uktena, once again, I like the mysticism and the fact that they have Native American origins but aren't hung up on it like the Wendigo

My least favorite tribe is the Red Talons, hands down. They are such a shallow tribe in my opinion and unlike the other tribes, you can't really add your own depth to them.
                      Last edited by Camilla; 01-19-2016, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Bone Gnawers - Because there the only ones that really "get it."
                        Glass Walkers - I love the idea of a street werewolf with cybernetic implants.
                        Get of Fenris - Viking barbarian werewolves are awesome.

To be fair, I like every tribe in WtA for various reasons. In that, there is not a single tribe that I wouldn't play in a game.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger."

Comment

Top 5 tribes:
                          1. Uktena- the mixture of mysticism and brawn makes for an interesting character. The idea that this tribe will go to great lengths to uncover or recover hidden secrets is great for both short and long term goals as a player or storyteller.
                          2. Red Talons- I like the feel of desperation, the long hard struggle that the Talons and Griffon fight. I do have issues with the tribe being murder hobos and generally play one that is desperately trying to understand why humanity is so destructive.
                          3. Silver Fangs- I like the gifts, sue me.
                          4. Bone Gnawers- while I dislike certain aspects the Gnawers are fun to play it is always best to be overlooked.
                          5. White Howlers- this tribe has fascinated me since I first picked up Werewolf the Apocalypse in any historical game the White Howlers will be my first choice.
                          Tribes I dislike:
                          1. Stargazers-feels like they don't fit.
                          2. Glass Walkers-nice concept, just doesn't appeal to me.
                          3. Fianna- nothing more than not my thing.
                          4. Black Furies- really not my cup of tea, the Talons get slammed regularly for blaming the species of humans for the wrongs of the world but the Furies at least as written do the same but blame gender.
                          5. Shadow Lords- I don't like mind games.

The tribe I hate and would prefer falling to the Wyrm instead of the Howlers: The Children of Gaia. This tribe as written across all editions rank as the Yuppie poster child of white guilt. The concept is neat the execution reads like a whine fest.

Comment

Originally posted by lncbill View Post
                            2. Red Talons- I like the feel of desperation, the long hard struggle that the Talons and Griffon fight. I do have issues with the tribe being murder hobos and generally play one that is desperately trying to understand why humanity is so destructive.
                            I personally think the murder hobo problem, and general issue with the tribe, stems from two sources; The players of Talons going for the most polarizing version of the tribe. And fellow players not bothering to understand how a lupus acts. I've seen this with some lupus played in general. Then again, sometimes lupus players DO overdo it.

I think a great Red Talon concept would be a mediator whose player gives enough clues to other players to know what the character means. So that players who are not interested in wolf behaviour can still figure them out.

Originally posted by lncbill View Post
                            The tribe I hate and would prefer falling to the Wyrm instead of the Howlers: The Children of Gaia. This tribe as written across all editions rank as the Yuppie poster child of white guilt. The concept is neat the execution reads like a whine fest.
                            The concept would be great, but sadly, no one has ever actually done anything with it. Also, the problem is as much that CoGies tend to be, well, mostly white, despite being a cosmopolitan tribe.

The saddest part about them is, that there are plenty of examples for a less than cuddly healer/peacemaker. Mary Seacole was known for both her shrewd business sense and her mission to care for wounded soldiers during the Crimean war, as an example. War medics, relief workers, search and rescue workers, etc. Why is it so hard to use these and the cultural heritage of the middle east (sciences, medicine,etc.) to make the tribe interesting?

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

The Uktena have gotten increasingly more like the Gnawers and Children of Gaia in being were oppressed people are. It's really easy to have Uktena almost anywhere these days because of it.

Also, if you are following the BNS material for the new MET Werewolf book, it is taking this a bit further. In MET canon, Sami Wendigo are officially a thing (basically the metaplot for MET has caused all the old Wendigo bloodlines among the Eurasian indigenous arctic peoples from before the Tribe crossed into North America to reawaken; leading to a massive divide in the Tribe between those that have become consumed by their identity as the "angry Native American" Tribe, and those that want to move towards a bigger tent Tribe.
                            Personally, I just don't think Sami Wendigo are really okay yet. I do think the tribe needs changing, but it would be good if it came from other sources than just adding more nations to the mix.

As for Uktena, while they are cosmopolitan, their basic structure is still very Native American.

My gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by Camilla View Post
                              My top five favorites...

1. Glass Walkers, especially when I use my homebrewed Roman origins and motifs for them. But even played 100% canon, they're still my favorite tribe
                              2. Get of Fenris, because Vikings are awesome
                              But the Fenrir are anti-Vikings who hold the Aesir to be their enemies. Mention that you're, say, asatru around one of them, and there's a good chance that you end up on the ass-end of an asskicking, at best. Revised deconstructed them and then built them up anew.

Comment

Working...
                              X