Your Favorite Tribes: Which and Why!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tchokes
    started a topic Your Favorite Tribes: Which and Why!?

Your Favorite Tribes: Which and Why!?

Hello, everyone! I am long-time fan of Werewolf the Apolcaypse (my favorite White Wolf game line), but given I am from Brasil, it occurred to me I don't know a lot about how the rest of the world plays Werewolf the Apocalypse, and what they love and hate about the game line!

My question right now, however, is pretty simple:

"Which are your Top 5 Favorite Tribes and Why?"

BONUS: Which is your Least Favorite Tribe and Why?

• Damian May
    replied
    Favourites:

1)Black Furies.

2) Older Brother.

3) Red Talons.

4) Bone Gnawers.

5) CoGs.

Least favs.

1) Silver Fangs.

2) Fianna.

3) Shadow Lords.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    I like them all for different reasons. The Silent Striders are probably my favorite because I have a private reason for extreme personal bias. I think if asked to pick three others, they'd be the Shadow Lords (because sometimes ruthless pragmatism is a lot of fun), Glass Walkers (because there are certain personally amusing tropes I can do with them that don't work so well with other tribes), and Fianna (there are certain cultural tropes I enjoy playing around with).

Leave a comment:

• MyWifeIsScary
    replied
    Well, this looks like a Resurrection.

I like all the tribes. think it's not so much 'least favourite tribe' as much as 'Which tribe do you love to hate?"

Favourites:

1- Get.
    You see these tribes? This one goes to 11. I will out-garou your garou. Tribe members are proven family and everyone else can fuck off. Rage ratings lower than 5 need not apply.
    2 Bone Gnawers
    Capturing the Wyld of the city, class struggle embodyment, Ratkin buddies? Gold (metaphorically, lord knows they don't have any physical gold)
    3- Glass Walkers
    Money, Cybernetics, power armour, 20mm Autocannons; If I didn't imagine half of them with neon hair dye they'd take No.1

4- Shadow lords
    Smart wolf is best wolf. Calculating characters are fun to play.

5- BSD
    A film is often carried by the quality of it's villain. BSD's make great villains and there's a lot of room to do what you want with them.

Love to hate:
    1-Children of Gaia; Tribe hypocrite. Look at how I love the Get, these guys are the opposite. I hope they never change.
    2- Fianna.
    World class bullshitters. Really cool bullshit though.

3-BF: Bunch of misandrist TERFs. Really cool gifts and mythology. I hope they never change.
    4- Silver fangs:
    Greatest of station eh? Well, who am I to argue with you? look at that splendid coat of yours!

I got this far and thought it unfair. I love silent striders but at the same time their lack of a home and the fact they don't play great with others hampers them a bit, Stargazers are pulpy fun but they don't carry the core themes well.. Uktena are cool but they're less-cool shadow lords to me. (In some ways they're more cool, but on the whole they're not as good.)

I think wendigo need work, Red talons could be a lot better (also these two tribes have a few really cool gifts but mostly have mediocrity)

Leave a comment:

• Jackob
    replied
    1: Silent Striders - I am a sucker for the slightly mysterious lone wanderer.
    2: Get of Fenris - I am Danish
    3: Glass Walkers - Not sure why, maybe because they are so different, but I just really like 'em.
    4: Wendigo, courtesy of Wyld West and a great campaign my wife ran.
    5: Actually not sure...

Leave a comment:

• Koronus
    replied
    1. Children of Gaia - Neutral diplomats who embrace from my understanding the: "Force is the method when everything else failed." stance.
    2. Glasswalkers - Those that want to be more in reach to their human kinfolks and try to bring the change from within.
    3. Shadowlords - because those are the stealth fighters that act on "The end justify the means."
    4. Fianna - Because they have connections to fay and are great celebrators and fighters
    5. Bone Gnawers - Because they represent the underdogs and bring change from the other stand of people that would be most likely to be corrupted.

3. Black Furies - While I can understand their cause and think it is important I suffered from those that took it to far (and would be called Feminazis) so I as a player have the opinion, that it is already enough or it will turn to the other point of inequality.
    2. Silver Fangs - Degenerates from an ended age. Leaders should not be because of Blood but of Skill (and I honestly never really understood the true breed thing)
    1. Red Talons - They are for me just extremists that because of their blind rage can not see the truth of the actual world

Leave a comment:

• Justycar
    replied
    1 SILVER FANGS: I remember being just a teenager and the first time I opened the Dark ages book I wondered about this tribe. They had all I wanted, the power, the tragedy of the Harano, the glory and the respect of all other tribes, very powerful gifts and an interesting Russian background and culture who was very original in the american games.

2 SILENT STRIDERS: But now, my tastes have evolved to something different. 15 years later, I find this tribe the most interesting. They are mysterious, powerful wizards, they have a different tragedy, that being banished from their land and it offers some cool ideas of crossover with vampire and wraith. This elusive, independent and mystic tribe is one of my favorites.

3 BONE GNAWERS: They are the underdog, survivalists, they have some sense of humor and they are progressive and egalitarian, in contrast with the nobility of the Fangs. This could have been my favorite tribe if not for the american focus of the revised book, who turn my initial attraction to distaste. They have become the new american tribe, the american dreamers, the american independents, the american social fighters... america, america, america, so boring.

However, the tribe who I would not like to play at all are the GLASS WALKERS. Werewolf hackers and mafiosos? Their totem is a crocroach, cĀ“mon! What else? I think it is disconnected from the main setting.
    Last edited by Justycar; 06-24-2020, 09:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• garhkal
    replied
    Just werewolf tribes, i have always liked
    1) bone gnawers, i have always loved underdogs
    2) glass walkers, one of the more humanistic tribes, plus some of their fetishes/talens are just cool (such as the John woo clips)
    3) Stargazers, cause i like the mysticism
    4) Silent striders, cause i just like their backstory

Now if we can add in other Fera, i would rank Mokole and Gurhal as higher than Garou (if allowed), and Bastet just under Garou. Never played a Corax, Ratkin, Sharkman or Nuwisha, and have yet to find a ST willing to allow Anassi.

Leave a comment:

• Gryffon15
    replied
    My favorites but I think all the tribes can be awesome if they are used in cool ways so I like them all, but enough cop out
    Favorites;
    1. Fianna; This probably relates to my Irish descent, but I really like the feel of the Fianna tribe and the idea of these Celtic warrior-poets and being record keepers of the Garou, I'm a bit upset it seems so many people don't seem to like them but, hey to each their own I guess
    2.Get of Fenris; These guys are just so awesome to me, I love Norse mythology and as we all know everything is better with Vikings. Plus with their rage I feel their the closest tribe to the traditional Feral,Beast Werewolf that we see.
    3. Bonegnawers;I just think that these guys are so cool. The kind of scrappy omega's of the Garou nation who dedicate themselves to the protection of Humanity's weakest elements. Downtrodden and looked on with disgust but being one of the most adapted tribes to the modern world and arguably the most adept City-Garou.
    4.Wendigo; I think I might just have a thing for Warrior tribes and the Wendigo rival the Get Warrior wise for me. The themes of Cold and their unrelenting rage together in the Wendigo make them one of my favorite tribes theme wise.
    5.Black furies; This tribe is also really cool for me, with it's connection to the Wyld, Greek mythos(which I love) and being the best Girl Power faction that White Wolf ever made in my opinion.

Least Favorite(1 being Worst-5 being least worst)
    1. Glasswalkers; the reason the glasswalkers are here is I feel they just feel out of place among the Garou and they just never appealed to me.
    2. Stargazers; another tribe that just never hit my interests and really did belong more in the beast courts, plus the odd surplus of Lupus Ahroun in their tribe.Weird.
    3. Children of Gaia; I can see this tribe being cool but White Wolf just did not help these poor guys, I can see uses for them but they just feel dull for me.
    4. Silent Striders; I think that the whole settite connection and wanderer thing is cool but I could never think of any more use for them then an occasional visit of a strider to the caern.
    5. Red talons; Now for me I feel these guys get to much hate, in my games their more hardcore Wyld , then the borderline Wyrm stereotype, but it's true that they simply don't mix well with homids or stories involving human and that's why there here.

Leave a comment:

• AkatsukiLeader13
    replied
    My least favorite hands down has always been the Red Talons. On the surface they always struck me as flat despite having a interesting concept. They come across less as a Tribe of Wolves and more as the bitter, angry Anti-Human Tribe. Maybe their Tribebook makes them more interesting but just way they've been handled in the Rulebooks and some of the other books I have read, saps any interest I have in reading the Tribebook.

Favorite tribe, originally the Glass Walkers but in recent years I've become more and more interested in the White Howlers.

Leave a comment:

• Traveller
    replied
    My tastes have super changed over time, but it seems like they're in line with a lot of other people.
    In no particular order:
    1) Shadow Lords, when being heroic. They are the competent ones, they know how to lead, and they really do have the nation's best interests at heart. Yeah you have to break a few eggs, but you don't have to be happy about it. That, and internal tribe politics are kind of neat. Lots of good RP opportunities within the tribe, and not all of them are pure deceit.
    2) Silver Fangs, when being heroic. They have unique abilities to bring people together, and I think those are often underplayed or played wrong. Other tribebooks don't give them nearly enough the respect that I think individuals would. When they're not being incompetent dicks, and the tribe members really are properly educated in how to be a good leader, they can deserve the respect they expect. They have to work super hard and push themselves to never fail, not even a little bit; that kind of inner conflict works a lot better than "okay they're brain damaged how tragic". Needs good players in the whole pack to really do the dynamic right though, and it's pretty easy to fall into "oh okay the sept leader is a fang, bow to the fang, who's a good plot device, you are, you are".
    3) Glass Walkers, in plots that push rationality a little too far. If anyone's going to save the Garou Nation and win the war, it is absolutely these guys, even if they lose a bit of their soul in the process. Great second-in-commands handling logistics for any powerful leader, because sentiment and tradition is what's really killing the nation these days, not infighting. I love these guys setting up humane and unoppressive eugenics programs. They get a bad rap for being out of touch with their wyld nature, but it seems like they and their kinfolk are always the ones who carry the load when it comes to protecting others' natural habitats. Yes, that's great Mr. Wendigo that you're in touch with nature in your vast tracts of land. Who do you think is keeping humans from fracking or logging that land? It's not your guys attacking their heavy machinery, it's the Walkers buying companies out or forging geological data. The danger with Walkers is if you make them the only people who ever do that, because it's not like the Furies don't have politicians or hackers or whatever, but the Walkers are still the ones who plan on the largest scale for the whole nation, and they're the ones you run to when the shit hits the fan, or when you need to head off a future attack on a caern. Also...it's fun to see their take on rites. My favorite character stared at a random number generator as a divination tool. Maybe it's just easier to identify with them.
    4) Children of Gaia, when playing against stereotype. Coggies can be mean SOBs. Everyone wants a Coggie Ahroun who's not afraid to murder the hell out of people. Also good when they resolve conflicts without being fluffy bunnies. A good Child of Gaia who has a terrifying force of personality and can really back it up with force, while still remaining impartial, is a real benefit for the nation.
    5) Wendigo, when scary as hell and not holding back. Oh god, get out of their way. Sometimes they get cast as the crying Indian who needs to be saved from the mean wyrmcomers and I think that's a huge disservice.

Least favorite:
    Bone Gnawers. I just can't find the interest. Never have. I think this is a matter of my personal opinion never matching up with the way they're played. They oughtta be looked down on for good reason, not just because they keep trying to bum change off of you. This may be unjustified on my part. IMO a lot more conflict-with-other-werewolves plots should be "damn it, it's the Gnawers' fault that everything went to hell, AGAIN". Instead it's usually the SLords who eat that.

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    This List is very uninformed, as I sadly am just now going to play the game. Still rather familiar with the fluff, so I guess that counts a little? Ranking is mainly based on the W20 corebook Version.

1. Children of Gaia
    I like their sane, humanistic approach and their willingness to Show restraint while being no less badass than the other tribes. Always saw them more in the veine of "Technical Pacifists" like Kenshin: not out for bloodshed, but very able to kick ass if necessary. Somehow Missed the Hippie vibe at first, though in retrospect seems obvious.Playing one would be just like fishmalks to me: kinda Fun here and there, but ultimately missing the point.
    2. Bone Gnawers
    LOVE the underdog, survival-first, practical theme permeating them. Most people already put their appeal more eloquently than I could.
    3. Glass Walters
    Technogifts. Need I say more?
    4. White Howlers
    Something about them is just very fascinating to me. Maybe the tragedy?
    Not sure, I guess Fianna and Silver Fangs sharing the spot.

Dislike
    1. Black Furies
    Somehow Irks me. Like the concept, but the execution Kind of irritates me.
    2. Shadow Lords
    Dislike is maybe too strong a term, just not interested all that much in them.
    3. Red Talon
    Appears to be very flat. Maybe it's my lack of experience though.
    Last edited by Wormwood; 04-15-2016, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Random_Interrupt
    replied
    I dig the Fianna because they're fighting to live, not living to fight, and that's a much saner point of view than a lot of tribes have on the Apocalypse war.

My first character was one of the Children of Gaia, so natch they hold a special place for me. I dig that they're stepping back and taking a big picture view.

The Glass Walkers are just goddamn neat, no two ways about it. Cybershamans communing with electro spirits and LMG-toting Ahrouns are too cool not to love.

Leave a comment:

• Gimmisky
    replied
    Well, chocolate makes you fat, it doesn't mean it isn't delicious!

Everything and everyone have their flaws, and most of them, when it comes to RPGs, are in the eye of the beholder, so its all well and good!

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    It's not that hard to knock on the Tribes... even if they all bring something interesting and unique to the game (I would argue strenuously that they don't). I can make pretty solid cases for most of the Tribes, even ones I like, adding far more bad to the game than they do good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X