Fomori Breeds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fomori Breeds

You know you love to hate them and hate to love them, so I am asking you all to share any fomori breeds that you find awesome (or awful) and why.

I think Fomori as a concept are wonderful, but I am deeply unimpressed with most Fomori breeds in published material. Most are just too boring to use as antagonists, and there is way too much reliance on modern industrial pollution instead of using other taint (especially so we can conceive what kinds of Fomori existed in pre-industrial times).

However, I do like Projects Aenied/Iliad for creating something similar to the Shop in Firestarter. I like Ferectoi simply as an explanation for Omen or Village of the Damned like evil children. And I think the Sons of Typhon are an interesting faction that should be more prominent.

Comment

Fomori in Possessed can be phenomenally powerful, especially psychic fomori when you refer back to Freak Legion, though I agree that the Pentex breeds are relatively bland. I think I have always liked the Freakfeet, from Freak Legion, because they were capable of coming up through the toilets and pulling you down. While vampires do not use the bathroom, the Freakfeet can still turn them to jello and drag them down the toilet. I always got a lot of mileage out of them.

Comment

Personally I liked the Hollow Ones. But once the Ananasi Breedbook came out, I tended to use them for whatever I would've used a Hollow One for.
        I've always liked the idea of the Freakfeet, though I never got to use them as anything other than boogeymen for Nosferatu or Ratkin.

Most of the Breeds are fairly uninspired and best used as one offs. I think I used a Gorehound once for a random odd red herring in a Changeling story.

Comment

Trust me, Freakfeet cause the skin of Mages to crawl, and even Werewolves get nervous after a Freakfeet attack. After all, hardly anyone checks the toilet for enemies before they use it, and I have never had a player enchant themselves to resist aggravated damage (or change to Glabro) before they use the bathroom. Of course, most people think that I am odd when I ask them to tell me when their characters are going to use the bathroom, at least until I start rolling dice and smiling.

Comment

I like the idea of Ferectoi but would like to see if they could work in a non corporate capacity, like say Leading a cult, or as crooked cops, or whatnot, and the term "Larva" Suggests their going to Metamorphasize into SOMETHING else... but what?

Gorehounds are Fun too, but I think they'd work better in a Kinfolk , or Hunters game, then in a Garou game. because the encounter will be an open and shut case, if a whole pack stumbles across a Gorehound.
            Last edited by Prince of the Night; 07-28-2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
              I like the idea of Ferectoi but would like to see if they could work in a non corporate capacity, like say Leading a cult, or as crooked cops, or whatnot, and the term "Larva" Suggests their going to Metamorphasize into SOMETHING else... but what?

Gorehounds are Fun too, but I think they'd work better in a Kinfolk , or Hunters game, then in a Garou game. because the encounter will be an open and shut case, if a whole pack stumbles across a Gorehound.

Ferectoi ARE the non-corporate Fomori more than any other. The are essentially Damian, the breeder bane procures the DNA, makes the baby, then puts the baby in a wealthy or influential family so they can become influential people, giving them the power to lead, be it military, cults, politics, business, law, medicine, social movements, entertainment, media, or even online. They are half-bane from birth, they are Metamorphosing into Maeljin Incarna (if they live long enough). A Ferectoi is unlikely to be a lowly crooked cop, but is likely to be the crooked detective or crooked police commissioner.

Comment

Conceptually, probably a tie between Gorehounds and Fomori Families. However, they are not without their flaws. (CoD's Slashers book has been a big help in fleshing Gorehounds out a bit, has has a number of classic horror film channels on YouTube.) Unfortunately, I think that's an overall problem with Formori as a whole; interesting ideas (although a few of them are all over the place) that often don't entirely hang together all that well when statted out.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I came up with a Fomori version of Jackalopes (and other horned rabbits) based on the real world animals that inspired them. I realize this is possibly something you can only use once with a given group of players.

Jackalope/Horned Hare/Horned Rabbit
                  Known by many names such as Mi’raj in Arabic lands, and Rasselbock or Rasselgeiss or Lepus cornutus in Europe. Not to be confused with the winged Wolpertinger/Skvader chimera and Kithain.

It appears as a cute little rabbit or hare with horns or antlers, or a single horn (Str 1, Dex 3, Sta 2, Man 2, Chr 3, App 4, Int 2, Per 4, Wits 3, Will 5). Hopping speed is based on Dex 4. It generally watches humans from brush, forest, or garden, assessing their behavior. Eventually, it allows itself to be seen and finally, lets a human approach it, but knows to avoid guns. It behaves quite tamely once it wants to be seen, and is undeniably adorable.

Once the human comes close enough to touch, the jackalope attacks. It either claws or bites or gores and then runs away, leaving the victim infected, or else shapeshifts into its Crinos form to kill the target outright. Crinos form: Str 4, Dex 5, Sta 3, Chr 0, Man 0, App 0, Int 2, Per 3, Wits 3. Claw, bite, and horn attacks in all forms deal Str+1 damage (lethal in rabbit form, aggravated in Crinos) and infect surviving victims with an aggressive and contagious papilloma virus/cancer. Some can also attack with elbow or knee spikes in Crinos.

Abilities: Alertness 3, Athletics 3, Brawl 3, Dodge 3, Empathy 2, Primal-Urge 2, Stealth 4, Survival 4, Linguistics 1

Powers: Both forms: Immunity to Delirium (being an animal fomor); Shapeshift (Sta+Primal-Urge, difficulty 6) (= Bestial Mutation in W20?);
                  Crinos only: Bestial Mutation (factored into traits, but looks like Unnatural Strength), Claws and Fangs, Crawling Tumors, soaks lethal damage like bashing.

Crawling Tumors: If a jackalope attacks and successfully inflicts damage after soak, roll its Willpower (difficulty of victim’s Stamina). Shapeshifter victims lose their regeneration for 1 hour per success. Humans and animals first sprout tumors in the wound after [victim’s Stamina] days, which start spreading across the body. They suffer –1 to each physical Attribute and Apperarance per day. When Dexterity or Strength reaches 0, they can’t move without assistance and suffer–1 in mental and social wound penalties due to pain. Once Stamina reaches 0, they die in pain. Other mortal creatures exposed to the infected victim must succeed on a Stamina roll (difficulty 7) once per day of exposure or catch the disease themselves, even if the carrier shows no tumors yet. The infection is Wyrm-tainted and can only be cured by Gifts or other magic.

A Bane spirit of disease and cancer possesses the body of a rabbit or hare to create a jackalope. In Crinos it looks like a kezzerdrix/vizzerdrix with unnaturally bulging muscles, but covered in fur (sometimes patchy) and tumors of the Shope papilloma virus. These tumors never interfere with its ability to bite. It is often strategically sent to target a particular group of people. It can also be used as a scout, but is somewhat unreliable: it must succeed on a Willpower roll to suppress its killer instinct after 4 days of watching – starting at difficulty 7 and increasing +1 each day. Most can understand one human language, but speak none. Eventually, every jackalope succumbs to its own disease (evident in both forms) if not killed in battle.
                  Last edited by Erinys; 08-10-2020, 02:31 PM. Reason: grammar

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                  Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

Working...
                  X