Garou Name Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garou Name Thread

Are you a lazy ST like myself? do you have problems coming up with names for NPCs or PC's? Well. this is the thread for you!.

Imma share some of the names that have come up on my games
    Erik Stormrage "Champion of Fenris" (Get of Fenris)
    "Bag Breaker" (Bone Gnawer)
    "IronWolf" (Glass Walker)
    "Victory of the Thunder" (Get of Fenris)
    Joe Torienark "The Laughin' Basterd" (Nuwisha)

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Soul-dancer was my black spiral. Like skin dancer but with that spirit ritual instead. He's got a collection of fetishes.

WoD-Dark Eras!! (Backed for Viking Age Werewolf)

Comment

Metis Number 56
      Acid Rain
      The Subject
      Bleeding-Corpse

Some of my metis names.

Comment

Candace Claws of Thunder (Shadow Lord Ahroun)
        Sif Bringer of Storms (Get of Fenris Ahroun)
        Last edited by Resplendent Fire; 10-05-2016, 03:42 AM.

Comment

names of Garou characters I play or played:
          Ice Fangs (Wendigo Metis Galliard, prefers Hispo form for combat. currently play him in a relatively new P&P game)
          Claws of Glass (Glasswalker Homid Ragabash, very good hacker, "Why 'claws of glass'? do they break so easily?" "no but because my claws reach EVERYWHERE!", played him in a crossover LARP)

somehow I don't remember what my Silent Strider Ragabash was called right now (another P&P char played in a chronicle a while back)...

Comment

Wind Speaks Through the Trees (Red Talon Philodox)

Comment

Sees Beyond (Get of Fenris Lupus Theurge) - Current PC in a DA:Werewolf Chronicle

English is not my native language, so i apologize for errors in grammar or spelling.

Comment

Fetch and Carry - Glasswalker Ragabash Gun Smuggler
                Sparks - Glasswalker Ragabash NPC who was very fond of Jam Tech
                Whispers - Shy Black Fury Thuerge of High Breeding.

That is pretty much all I have. I suck at Deed Names. Any tips for creating them?

I always go with "If you can't think of a good Deed name, then think of a humiliating one." Not all Deed names are good, especially when you are Cub/Cliath. You can either make your name your own or do something to gain a better name.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Deed Names are hard because by their very nature they should be names OTHER people come up for your character based on what they see are your most distinguishing characteristics. Hopefully these would be well educated Galliards with the cultural context and creativity to assign good names.

In actuality, it's the player with a conception of the kind of character they want to be that gives their own character the name, which usually does not really fit the character. Often I am confronted with a character with some badass name, and then when it's explained how they got that name (from their backstory), I'm like "What? Based on that, this is what you call yourself?" (Sometimes I feel, "That is very easy for you to say in your backstory, I want to see something equivalent during game.").

I also don't think "deed names" is the best description for the concept. Should people really be known for a "deed" (and I use the term loosely) they performed during their rite of passage? They probably do far greater deeds later on - yet the name rarely changes because the player wants that to be their name (although I occasionally see exceptions). I think of Garou names as more like poetic epithets as a nickname. They are descriptive of the person, but not necessarily of deeds. It might be based on how the look, a particular habit they have, or anything else that might be memorable about them. And they should be something that makes it easy for people to remember as that person is mentioned in the oral epic poetry of the Garou.

I also think that perhaps these names are simply the English translation of what their "Garou Tongue name" means that they are given in their equivalent of a baptism/naming ritual done after their Rite of Passage - probably given by some teacher who liked them when they were a cub. While many people don't know the meaning behind their name, thinking it as just cool sounding, real names actually have real meanings. Michael means "Who is Like God?" Henry is "Home Ruler". Kevin means "Born Handsome". Marcus means "Consecrated to the God of War." They all have a real mening even though they come from a different language family (Hebrew, German, Gaelic, and Latin). Although I don't know for certain, I think many Native American names like Red Cloud, Sitting Bull, Black Elk, etc. - which are probably the origin of the concept of Garou "deed names" - are probably just the same way. It's just that we no longer intuitively know what our names mean so they just sound like random sounds to us. But in the past, people knew exactly what they were calling their children. It's different for people who write their language in Chinese characters as the logograms have specific meanings so that one absolutely knows that Zedong means "East of the Marsh" because that's what the logograms mean (of course someone who knows Chinese is going to correct me as to the proper translation now!). We lose that with phonetic spellings.

Anyway, here is a list of some of the Deed Names I've created or heard from other players.

Strongback - Get of Fenris Ahroun
                  Horsekiller - Red Talon Philodox
                  Rainmaker - Uktena Philodox
                  Travels for War - Wendigo Ahroun
                  White Crow - Silver Fang Theurge
                  Plays With Stick - Red Talon Ragabash
                  Corpse Watcher - Uktena Theurge
                  Mead Drinker - Fianna Galliard
                  Throatcrusher - Shadow Lord Galliard
                  Kills for Sport - Shadow Lord Ragabash

Comment

Some names deed or otherwise from characters from a few of my stories:
                    Bone Gnawer Ragabash-Seduces the Leech this character was a high apperance Bone Gnawer who used his looks to get a Vampire preying on teenage runaways alone so that the others in the group could kill him.
                    White Howler Theurge- Howls to Spirits this character was named for his method of speaking to spirits.
                    Red Talon Ragabash- Plays with Apes this character was named after escaping from a zoo being picked up in Homid form and living with the person that picked him up. When the Red Talons came for him this name stuck.
                    Nuwisha- Ti Malice Uses the IRS Nuwisha CPA that impersonates an IRS auditor.

Comment

I needed quick BDS names and i didnt knew what to do..so i turned on the radio and i decided to "Borrow" the names of the Gwar members.

Oderus Urungus (Ahroun)
                      Ballsac the Jaws of Death ( Ragabash)
                      Pustulus Maximum (Theurge)
                      Jizmak Da Gusha (Ahroun)
                      Bone Snapper (Philodox)
                      Blothar (Galliard)

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
                      ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
                      Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
                      Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

I just thought of another one: Paints the Fence - Get of Fenir Ragabash, a character roughly based off Tom Sawyer. He didn't really appreciate the name his aunt gave him, but she felt it was prudent to warn others of his conniving nature.

Clack of Thunder - Shadow Lord Arhoun who is fond of sniper rifles.
                        Last edited by wonderandawe; 12-03-2016, 02:21 PM.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

This Side Up, a lupus Bone Gnawer who was named after the box he was found in

Comment

Originally posted by LostInSanity View Post
                            This Side Up, a lupus Bone Gnawer who was named after the box he was found in
                            Was he closely related to Our Rob or Ross?

What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

Comment

THREAD NECROMANCY!
                              As I have something new to add and always like reading other peoples ideas for stuff like this.

Silent Strider Galliard: "(She who) Brings the second death". I took quite a bit of inspiration from one or two of the Silent Strider sample characters. She's a Vampire killer whenever she can as vampires are evil incarnate and its all their fault regarding her tribe and also her personally. She also has a hatred for Vampires and Vampire Lore 1. I play her in a chat based Werewolf game we just started.

If we also count Hengeyokai names: The other Sentai-members gave my Ananasi character the name "Windclaw walks the web" as he got known for swift, hard attacks out of nowhere and also helped guide them through Weaver-dominated territories in the Mirror Lands.

Comment

Working...
                              X