Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The visuals of afterlife

Greetings, all!

My acquaintance with and interest in WtO is relatively modest, but one thing interests me enough that I decided to just ask around here:

What does a wraith going from the normal world to Stygia and the umbral surroundings see? How do the paths from one to the other look? How sudden is the transition? How is the geography of one mapped to the geography of the other?

Thanks in advance!

You had to ask the tough questions, didn't you?

It's hard to tackle this topic because not everything has a concrete description. The tempest especially is usually described more with feelings than imagery. Almost everyone has their own take on what it looks like. So most of what follows is my own mental image, with a few concrete facts written in.

Originally posted by vicky_molokh View Post
    Greetings, all!

My acquaintance with and interest in WtO is relatively modest, but one thing interests me enough that I decided to just ask around here:

What does a wraith going from the normal world to Stygia and the umbral surroundings see? How do the paths from one to the other look? How sudden is the transition? How is the geography of one mapped to the geography of the other?

Thanks in advance!
    The Legionnaire returning to Stygia uses a Necropolis port. These are specially made Nihils that open up from Necropoli onto Byways; large hovering mirror-like portals. This Byway is a stretch of old cliffside highway. Most of the Hierarchy's portals open onto strong byways, but this one is crumbling. Furious waves crash up the cliff, always threatening to take the road back down with them. At one point it crosses an old twisting bridge with large chunks torn away. In some cases they may have even been replaced with soulsteel plates. They scream as the legionnaire walks over them... or is that the howling wind that threatens to tear the bridge apart at any moment. Then, without warning, the storm stops. The road overlooks a gentler sea or bay and in the distance is a towering, top heavy city. Nearby is a small trireme ready to collect travelers and take them the rest of the way.

The Heretic doesn't get easy access. A Renegade gave her directions to one of the Far Shores. She doesn't trust him but she's decided to take the chance. The only reliable, unguarded Nihil nearby is by the docks. At high tide water is sucked under one of the piers, she dives in and is sucked through. Just when it seems she can no longer hold her breath, she breaks the surface of the water, coughing and spluttering. She's reached the River of Death, oldest and most stable of all byways. There is little sign of the Tempest, it is just a sluggish river, blocked in by thick tall reeds. She doesn't have a boat so travel is slow. Following the river takes her across barren plains and canyons. Finally she finds the offshoot she is looking for which meanders through an underground cave. As she reaches the end, she finds crude rooms carved into the rock, hanging chains and roaring forges. Above the door someone's jokingly written FaR ShoReS. The jokester isn't around, though. There are signs of a struggle, weapons strewn everywhere, and single cowled figure with a lantern and scythe. He looks at her an points at his boat...

The guildmember doesn't have any normal options. His apprentice has been accused of being a spectre and was dragged away to face the Martyr Knights. It's probably true, but she still can't be allowed to spill guild secrets. The legionnaires are on high alert. The guildmember is going to have to brave the Tempest itself. No need to find a Nihil, he can make a personal one. The ground evaporates away and a guyser of effluvium pours out. Steeling himself he dives in and spreads his wings. Unfortunately, even a talented Harbinger can make mistakes and the wind slams him into the rocky seas. He hears his wings shatter, and grits his teeth as he calls up the memories of his wife to straighten them out again. Thick drops of rain and gobbets of meat threaten to tear him off of his perch, but he keeps his grip. There are howls in the air but he cannot tell if it is just wind or if the Spectres are on their way. Telling direction is difficult at the best of times, but he tries to orient himself and... yes... the path is far, far below him. He dives beneath the surface of the waves, and into the furious winds beneath...

Last edited by Ramnesis; 02-24-2017, 12:16 PM.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Think if Zdzisław Beksiński painted an entire world. Hell, there's even an image in one of the books that based on one of his paintings.

Comment

Or you can just take a train...

Comment

My visual of the Tempest is like the scene in What Dreams May Come based on Géricault's The Raft, with ominous storm clouds filling the sky and screaming bodies being tossed around in the currents.

Last edited by Matt the Bruins fan; 03-19-2017, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I've often pictured the Tempest with a strange, purpley-pink color. I'd like to say its because it's an unnatural color, but it's probably a reference to Dimension X in the original TMNT cartoon.

Comment

Dammit.
              Now I can’t stop thinking about a spectral fortress called the Technodrome, that houses an Oblivion cult of faceless worshippers called the Foot, led by a nephwrack with long and sharpened blades imbedded in his Corpus called the Shredder, who all worship a Onceborn that takes the form of a giant brain with a distorted face named Krang.

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
              (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
              ").

Comment

Color? The Shadowlands wish they could get color. It's all just....

Hey, what was color, again?

Comment

Well that's why Day of the Dead celebrations are so colorful.

Actually, I like to depict the Shadowlands as having the colors of a weathered old photograph. You can see what the colors would have been, but they are so washed out they might as well not be there.

Lifesight, on the other hand, makes the living look look overexposed and oversaturated. Most of the color fades to white and the rest is inappropriately vibrant.

Nothing shows the colorlessness of Wraithly existence quite so much as having real color to compare it to. Plus, it lets you start using color and light to convey what Pathos and Angst are like.

Comment

Working...
                  X