Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need the guild books? And what is the status of the stretch goals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need the guild books? And what is the status of the stretch goals?

Do I need to buy the guild books (DriveThruRPG), or are their contents going to be covered with Wr20 and it's stretch goals?

Talking about the stretch goals, what's the status of Book of Oblivion and Handbook for the Recently Deceased?

My hunch, based on the Wr20 previews, is that for those Guilds that got Guildbooks, Wr20 will provide a brief summary of their history, internal structure and divisions, but the Guildbooks will have indepth coverage.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Mostly what you need in the guildbooks are the little pieces of lore that they slowly handed out. Things like what happened to Charon's shadow. That kind of thing should be in the core now that it is known. I would expect info on the Ferrymen and the Doomslayers to be in the core for the same reason.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
        Mostly what you need in the guildbooks are the little pieces of lore that they slowly handed out. Things like what happened to Charon's shadow. That kind of thing should be in the core now that it is known. I would expect info on the Ferrymen and the Doomslayers to be in the core for the same reason.
        In that context, what would also be needed is Doomslayers, which made clear what eventually happened to Charon's Shadow.

Comment

Thank you guys for the answers!

Comment

IIRC the Guildbooks also have additional/alternate Arcanoi levels in them. Whether or not those will be incorporated into Wr20 I do not know.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Flame View Post
              Do I need to buy the guild books (DriveThruRPG), or are their contents going to be covered with Wr20 and it's stretch goals?

Talking about the stretch goals, what's the status of Book of Oblivion and Handbook for the Recently Deceased?
              Do you need the Guildbooks? No. Are they worth getting? Yes. While Wraith doesn't follow the traditional Clan/Tribe/Tradition/etc style of the other lines and you can play non-Guild Wraiths quite easily, the Guildbooks are great for fleshing out the Guilds and in turn providing more things the players can get stuck in with.

Personally though I think the Legions and the Hierarchy itself is a bit more important as they are the nominal government of the Western Lands of the Dead. Even if you're running as Heretics or Renegades, chances are you're going to encounter them. The Legions are also important if the players are going to be involved with Stygian society as most wraiths end up having to work for their respective Legions.

If I was to recommend books to new WtO players beyond obviously the rulebook and the Shadow Player's Guide*, it would be the Book of Legions, The Hierarchy, the Guildbooks, and Renegades to give the players a good sense of the organizations of the Underworld.

*Seriously, that is the second book every WtO player and Storyteller has to read. If you don't have it, get it first.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Oh, point that just occurred to me. Aside from the full Guildbooks, there's also Ends of Empire, which among other things contains Guildbook: Mnemoi, a guide to everyone's favorite memory-shapers.

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
                IIRC the Guildbooks also have additional/alternate Arcanoi levels in them. Whether or not those will be incorporated into Wr20 I do not know.
                If they are, it'll only be one of each dot rating - the Wr20 Arcanoi previews have one common list, which anyone can get, and one initiate list, which are primarily limited to guild members. Looking at the Arcanoi previews so far (Argos, Inhabit, Lifeweb and Usury), none have incorporated alternate Arcanoi levels from older books.

Comment

And Buried Secrets - not only does it come with a cool screen, but it'll answer slew of questions.

Plus it's got the errata for gaining Pathos.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
                  'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

If I had to choose a source for Stygia, I'd go with Book of Legions; Hierarchy has some gems but overall I think it's boring af. YMMV.

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
                    (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
                    ").

Comment

Originally posted by Nazfool View Post
                      If I had to choose a source for Stygia, I'd go with Book of Legions; Hierarchy has some gems but overall I think it's boring af. YMMV.
                      Agreed. Book of Legions is far superior.

Comment

Working...
                      X