Inspirational Sources For Playing "The Shadow"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspirational Sources For Playing "The Shadow"

Me Myself and Irene starring Jim Carrey is a must watch for any aspiring Shadwoguide who is out to play a shadow that is out to "protect" its weak-willed psyche by demolishing everything that has wronged him, rules of so-called "Polite-Society" be damned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJIQU-icSN4

Now, tell me honestly, who else also thought "Catharsis!" as Charlie's "Shadow" Hank appears at the 1 Minute 1 second mark? When his "Angst" score FINALLY soared past the point of endurance?

Persona 4 has numerous scenes where characters are tormented by their Shadows; aspects of themselves they've been rejecting. The Shadows speak the truth, but delight in the character's pain since the more they reject the truth the stronger the Shadow becomes.

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac has numerous conversations between the titular character and dolls that claim to embody aspects of his mind. It turns out most of them don't but there's still a lot to be found in the conversations.

The Binding of Isaac game has no direct appearance by a Shadow, but you can see its influence everywhere. The game is essentially one big, repeated Harrowing where the character grapples with identity, abuse, death, the fallout of a broken family life, and his fears that he is evil, crazy, or both. Fair warning, for a cute legend of Zelda-like game, this thing is incredibly dark. How much of the imagery is real and how much is the character's fevered imagination is open to interpretation, which is itself Shadow-like.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Donnie darko's Frank.

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
      ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
      Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
      Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

Fight Club, both the book and the film.

Secret Window, and the Stephen King story "Secret Window, Secret Garden" it's based on

Psycho, both the book and the film.

The Machinist

Candyman (if you look at it from the perspective that the Candyman is a projection of Helen's subconscious)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

ok i got a strange one....Samurai Jack, the Mad Jack persona on the last couple of episodes.

Guilty Conciousness by Eminem..Dr Dre and Eminem

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
          ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
          Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
          Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

Anime is rife with this.
            Bleach has Ichigo's Hollow side trying to work against him.
            In Soul Eater, Soul has his little devil man of madness inside him all the time.
            Naruto and other Jinchuriki could count their Tailed Beasts, though we mostly can use the Tailed Fox as the primary example.

Also, Baron Harkonnen for Alia in the 2nd and 3rd Dune books.

This trope page is probably help as well, as the Shadow is an example of it.

Comment

Would Jeff Goldblum's heartless insect side driving himself to fuse himself with Geena Davis character to remain human in spite of his character Seth Brundle being deeply in love with her and caring for the baby inside her in The Fly count as an example The Shadow overriding the decent psyche?

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Liren View Post
                Would Jeff Goldblum's heartless insect side driving himself to fuse himself with Geena Davis character to remain human in spite of his character Seth Brundle being deeply in love with her and caring for the baby inside her in The Fly count as an example The Shadow overriding the decent psyche?
                Yes, if that's a part of the character you are trying to play. Many people do grapple with urges that they try to reject but keep feeling anyways, some strange enough that they compare to that of the esteemed Brundlefly. When they die those rejected desires often become part of the Shadow. If those drives didn't exist in life, though, they won't show up in a character's dark side. The Shadow isn't a new mind created in a metaphysical accident, it is a real part of the character in question and everything that it is says something about that character..

Comment

Well, the Hulk seems an obvious choice for dealing with other personalities taking over, but I'd focus on the Grey Hulk/Joe Fixit stuff. Mr Fixit is the destructive, self-indulgent aspect of Bruce. He's mean, greedy, cruel, and arrogant. He is very much the Shadow self of Banner.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                  - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Bear View Post
                    Well, the Hulk seems an obvious choice for dealing with other personalities taking over, but I'd focus on the Grey Hulk/Joe Fixit stuff. Mr Fixit is the destructive, self-indulgent aspect of Bruce. He's mean, greedy, cruel, and arrogant. He is very much the Shadow self of Banner.
                    There was a storyline a few years back (Tempest Fugit I believe) that revealed that the Hulk, as a personality, existed well before the Gamma Bomb accident. He was an imaginary friend Bruce developed to handle his own abuse and to deal with the rage and pain he couldn't. That persona persisted. It is shown talking to Banner in high school, pushing him to do terrible things. Eventually it even takes over briefly to plant a bomb in the school.

Comment

Something a bit more out there would be the "Violater" from spawn. He isn't really an enemy from within and more of a "mentor", with big apostrophes, but he gets under spawns skin and manipulates him masterfully to do what he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Bear View Post
                        Adding to this one, the Jason Aaron run of Incredible Hulk. One, for the first half with Hulk and Banner separate and how bad each gets without the other (Ferrymen). Two, for the second half where Hulk keeps waking up in weird situations Banner has left him. In the second half, Banner is the Shadow.
                        Last edited by Papa Bear; 08-28-2017, 12:23 PM.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                        - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Batman Arkham knight, has a multiple Personality thing with the (deceased) Joker trying to take over batmans body.

the "Harley Quin Pack" lets us see Dr Quenzal, basicly as a psyche, a powerless voice of concience forced to witness her atrocitys.

Comment

Working...
                          X