After the 6th Great Maelstrom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ajax View Post

But if it's less likely to get a drone to Transcend or to uplift it to full sentience than that it will fall to its Shadow and become a Specter, then there is always going to be an expediency argument for soulforging. Plus, well, soulsteel is so useful.
    On the flip side, when things get bad raising and impressing drones into service would quickly bolster the ranks of local Legions or Renegades. After all, they can always be soulforged if it looks like they aren't going to make it.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post

On the flip side, when things get bad raising and impressing drones into service would quickly bolster the ranks of local Legions or Renegades. After all, they can always be soulforged if it looks like they aren't going to make it.
      If raising a drone up to wraith level takes as much effort as significant psychotherapy or nursing someone through a major illness or injury (which is an assumption, but it seems like a reasonable translation of the ideas in Orpheus if there is a desire to keep the basic fundamentals of wraith culture intact), they aren't really a workable pool of recruits. They are, however, excellent raw material.

Comment

If raising a drone up to wraith level takes as much effort as significant psychotherapy or nursing someone through a major illness or injury (which is an assumption, but it seems like a reasonable translation of the ideas in Orpheus if there is a desire to keep the basic fundamentals of wraith culture intact), they aren't really a workable pool of recruits. They are, however, excellent raw material.
        I'm torn on this one. The way I run games, crises happen fast so I agree that emergency Drone uplift wouldn't be a viable tactic. On the other hand, throughout most of history taking a couple of weeks or months for emergency recruitment was reasonable. And many a legionnaire grew up in those time periods. So maybe the practice isn't good when the Maelstrom is pounding at the gates, but it might be invaluable between waves (I haven't read Wraith: the Great War, but I envision the full storms hammering Necropoli only intermittently).

To be fair, throughout most of history producing the arms and armor for those forces would take at least as long as recruiting and training the forces. I get the impression soul forging is faster than iron forging.

Comment

If it only takes as long to train your soldiers as it takes for you to make a sword, you are going to have really shitty soldiers.

Comment

If it only takes as long to train your soldiers as it takes for you to make a sword, you are going to have really shitty soldiers.
            Well it's not the time to make one sword, it's the time to make enough swords. I think the guys at Man at Arms said it takes between 10 and 40 hours to make a sword, depending on the type, and they have powered hammers.

That gives me an idea for a scene where a bunch of raw recruits are dragged together and told that the first ten to fall during training will be made into gear for the rest.

Comment

My thinking is it happened, the Underworld weathered it, Charon may or may not have returned (I'm more inclined toward he made the final sacrifice fighting of Gorool), and now the Dark Empires are rebuilding. However we don't use the canon reason for why the 6th Great Maelstrom happened anyway.
              Last edited by Onkwe; 02-13-2018, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Great War is a good model for running a game during a Great Maelstrom. Necropoli battered by winds, with low-level ongoing background noise that occasionally builds up to full-scale storms. Travel would be really difficult so local politics would be more important.

Stygia, meanwhile, could be battered but fighting on, or some kind of Atlantis-like lost continent, ready for plundering. Heaps of fun.

Comment

Working...
                X