Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fetters, what do they do?

Someone please help me out here.

I understand the idea of Fetters. They are things in the Skinlands that tie you to the Shadowlands, for good and ill. Their 1-5 rating is based on how important they are to the wraith in question. But what do they do in game?

I understand that the Fetter-rating determines how hard it is for the wraith to resolve it. The higher the rating, the harder to resolve. The rating also serves as "health levels" to prevent the Fetter from being destroyed through neglect. A wraith can slumber in his fetter to heal his corpus, but for that he rolls his stamina, not fetter-rating. Finally, the Fetter can aid in lowering Arcanoi difficulties.

Is that everything there is to Fetters, or have I missed anything?

Malkavian Madness Forum - Your pbp fix. Be it nWoD, cWoD, CoC, D&D or something else entirely, come over here and get your game on

Fetters also act as "anchor points" for a Wraith exiting a Harrowing. A Wraith with no Fetters escaping a Harrowing is deposited into the Tempest.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
    'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you!

Malkavian Madness Forum - Your pbp fix. Be it nWoD, cWoD, CoC, D&D or something else entirely, come over here and get your game on

Comment

To clarify how Fetters relate to the Shadowlands, if a Wraith loses connection to all his fetters he becomes a Domem and can only exist in the Shadowlands for minutes at a time. If, however, a Wraith resolves at least one of his Fetters he instead becomes a Gaunt and will never have a problem existing in the Shadowlands even if the rest of his Fetters are lost.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Curious is it impossible for a Domem to transcend?

Comment

The books don't specify, but they do indicate it is much harder for a Domem to Transcend. Considering Transcendence is rare enough that many Wraiths think it doesn't exist, that says something. I suspect it's not so much that losing Fetters directly damages their chances, though. Fetters often take years, decades, or even centuries to degrade and Wraiths who don't manage to resolve them in that time weren't likely to Transcend anyways.

If becoming a Domem actually does damage a Wraith's chances, it's probably because earthbound passions are harder to resolve if you can't get to the Shadowlands.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Working...
            X