No announcement yet.

Three questions about Gaunts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interestingly, Wr20 does clarify the difference between resolving one Fetter and resolving all of them:

Originally posted by Wraith 20th, pg 311
    In addition to progress toward Transcendence, Resolving a Fetter also makes it easier to remain in the Shadowlands even when other ties have been lost. If a wraith has no remaining Fetters, but successfully Resolved at least one Fetter in the past, he may remain in the Shadowlands for one day per Willpower point spent rather than one scene per point as normal. Supposedly, a wraith who manages to Resolve all of his Fetters can remain in the Shadowlands indefinitely, but if such success bestows this benefit, it is rare to the point of myth.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

yes, i know that the Wr20 book did have some new material, my comment was more to the point of what we had done in the past, as it wasn't clearly defined.

also in the older editions, it clearly states that unfettered spectres and wraiths take damage if they try to stay beyond the few turns per point of stamina they have, but it looks as though this has been left out and you are just kicked into the tempest and on a byway no less.

Comment

My take is that you need only Resolve one Fetter to become a Gaunt, but that the most exceptional Gaunts have Resolved all of them, and thus have the most freedom of movement. There's definitely conflation of ideas and some elasticity involved.

The talk of Gaunts being exceptional seems to apply to this latter group mostly, although it also more broadly includes the first group (because Resolving a Fetter still suggests experience and wisdom).

However, I suspect there's also an element of age involved in the honorific. A Gaunt with only one Resolved Fetter will have more restrictions on movement than one who Resolved all his fetters, and is likely younger, so may not be recognised as a 'true' Gaunt by others. The term does inherently imply age.

Conversely, an older Gaunt who lost some Fetters but Resolved one might be more likely to be recognised as such, even if she has the same restrictions on movement as her younger peer, simply because she's older. But if she Resolved all Fetters, she'd presumably be in the most exceptional group of Gaunts.

The other thing to bear in mind is that wraiths probably don't advertise their Fetters. Doing so invites attacks upon them, and therefore Harrowings. As far as I remember, too, this is a social label, rather than an official title bestowed by Stygia. There isn't a ceremony and you don't draw a pension.

So becoming a Gaunt very much depends on how others perceive you, and what they witness or hear about your behaviour (and travel habits), rather than an objective number of Resolved Fetters.

Once a certain level of notoriety/fame/public opinion is reached, people may start referring to you as a Gaunt because they've heard about how you can travel far and wide without impediment. Again, that would suggest the passage of time, and so is more likely to happen for older wraiths.

Some wraiths may claim the title for themselves, of course, but I suspect that would incur scrutiny, and again risk nosy people messing about with or near your Fetters. That's again very risky. Better to build up your reputation and stoke those urban legends, so that others come to the decision on their own--a decision which you can then graciously defer to.

tl;dr: Attitudes among wraiths likely mean Gaunt is an honorific given to wraiths who have at least one Resolved Fetter AND have usually existed for a long time.

Comment

Working...
        X