No announcement yet.

The Grand Plan of Stygia - Wraith Demography

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are many more necropoli, but these ones are guaranteed to exist.

Comment

There are a huge number of wraiths contained in the 'fixed' population entries - while there are only some 3200 entries in the Non-Orpheus data, the population figures come out to a staggering 943,000. Since this figure is hugely bloated in favour of a few large organizations that probably aren't all that representative proportionately to the rest, I have a second one, which I'll actually be using to determine the proportions of Wraiths in 'non-fixed' pop figures by faction for one of the variant options. For this second option, population entries larger than 3500 are omitted to prevent the flooding exhibited above, which skewed massively to the Rebels. Risen, Doomslayers and Guildwraiths have their special entries to reflect that they occupy somewhat ambiguous positions in Stygian society.

Next, a geographical one omitting Risen, Doomslayers, et al. This is the one I will be using to determine the divide for wraiths slain in Hierarchy territory.

Presumably there are rather more Renegades than are actually there, as we had very few large Renegade groups given concrete numbers. Accordingly, come the final figures I will be inverting the breakdown for Hierarchy and Renegades for those conflicts specifically noted to have created many Renegades to compensate.

Finally, what we've all been waiting on...

Following soon will be a model incorporating the range of Holocaust necropoli dead and one that looks to address the faction balance with all these populations added.

Comment

Two things confuse me: Why are several populations listed as 0% but differ in how large the pie slices are?
        What are Rebels? Is that an Orpheus thing? (I'm not well-read on Orpheus)

Comment

Oh--Rebels are the malcontents of the Indian Kingdom of the dead, I think.... Sorry. I had forgotten that.

Comment

The different wedge sizes are accounted for by the relative sizes of those factions - some have 50 known members, some have 100, some only have a dozen. The Rebels are the Jade Empire's Renegades, seperated out to reflect different geographical and political areas of activity. Swar and the Indian Shadowlands, though one of the most interesting areas, is one of the least detailed in terms of population figures in the entire run of Wraith.
            Last edited by loomer; 01-02-2018, 08:25 PM.

Comment

No neat graphics, but a few minimum population ratios. Wraith works rather differently since you aren't likely to bump into your average Hierach or Renegade in a nightclub, but people love their ratios all the same. All initial figures come from census data from 1990 to 2004, depending on availability.
              Alicante, Spain: 1:6010, assuming the Alicante thralls didn't run from the town forever.
              Amsterdam: 1:243,763 - presumably much, much, much higher in actuality.
              London: 1:6.8
              New York City: 1:11,150
              Chicago: 1:300,000
              Atlanta: 1:696 (med), 1:380 (high), 1:2000 (low).
              These figures constitute bare minimum ratios for the setting-as-concretely-depicted to exist. London's is perhaps our best example of any single Necropolis, with Atlanta in second place - while beyond what I aim to do here, one might use London-esque figures for the most important and prominent Necropoli, and Atlanta figures for those of middling but not insignifcant status.

Similarly, the global minimum ratios are set at, from a nominal 6 billion, (concretepops only) 1:6350, (low end all) 1:281, (medium all) 1:100, and at the high end not including the speculative Holocaust necropoli, 1:45. However, as wraiths can exist from hypothetically any time period from the beginning of human existence, we could instead consider the ratios in the light of the total deaths over our species existence - not the current living population. In that case, we have the following:
              Concrete Low - 1:111,847
              Low - 1:4,955.
              Medium - 1:1,771
              High - 1:797

So, depending on how one interprets the various 'millions', 'thousands', etcetera, we have some fairly impressive ratios, especially when you consider how many of those many billions of people lay in territories not given strong coverage or lying outside of the 'known stretch' of Wraiths - which cluster very strongly after about 700BC, reaching a height in the 20th century as you might expect.
              Last edited by loomer; 01-02-2018, 09:44 PM.

Comment

There are a number of statistical oddities that crop up due to changes in historiological thinking. Right now, I'm staring at one that needs some explanation before the next set can be posted after being finalized. The Spanish Flu, in the book, produced thousands of wraiths a day - and had a death toll of 21 million. We now believe that it killed from fifty to one hundred million - vastly more. As with Verdun, where a figure has been given fairly concretely I am choosing to follow it rather than updating it - we'll see if Wraith 20 changes them. What this means is that between 2,000,000 and 9,000,000 wraiths were produced in the epidemic, give or take a few thousands. The death:wraith ratio as a result is significantly higher than it would be if we used the real world figure, and hovers at 43% high end and 9.5% low end. Those so inclined may wish to either reduce the relevant ratios to (50mil) 18%/4% (100mil) 9%/2%, or instead, increase the wraiths spawned by the event to be proportionate at (50mil) 21.5m/4.75m or (100m) 43m/9.5m.

Comment

Working...
                X