Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the Dictum Mortuum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why the Dictum Mortuum?

    What is the Hierarchy's motivation here? The Camarilla enforces the Masquerade because of the threat humanity poses to Kindred if they were aware of them, but they wouldn't seem to pose remotely the same degree of threat to Wraiths.


    Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

  • #2
    The Hierarchy is more like the Technocracy than the camarilla, its motivations are on some level intended to be Benign. Charon's dictates are intended to protect the living from the Dead.

    Comment


    • #3
      You mean aside from the usual of “yo, mortals aren’t supposed to know 100% that supernaturals exist”?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
        You mean aside from the usual of “yo, mortals aren’t supposed to know 100% that supernaturals exist”?
        I meant the intradiagetic reason, I’m aware of the extradiagetic one.
        Last edited by glamourweaver; 02-16-2018, 06:49 AM.


        Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

        Comment


        • #5
          Considering that the Fog hides most ghostly actions anyway, the only convincing answer is the one already given: an altruistic wish to protect the living from the dead. Given that the Lady of Fate is Eve, and therefore mother of all humanity, it's quite probable it was her idea to protect her own descendants.
          Last edited by adambeyoncelowe; 02-16-2018, 03:10 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            The old books made mention of Charon wanting to 1. protect the living from the influences of the dead and 2. to cut down the power of some of the shroud-crossing Guilds and 3. to minimize Renegade power by not allowing them to poison the Quick against the empire before they even die.

            PS I'm personally 100% against the idea of the Lady of Fate being Eve, even though I know the devs intended that, so while the idea that she's protecting her extended family makes some sort of sense, that's not making it into my games, lol

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Callishka View Post
              The old books made mention of Charon wanting to 1. protect the living from the influences of the dead and 2. to cut down the power of some of the shroud-crossing Guilds and 3. to minimize Renegade power by not allowing them to poison the Quick against the empire before they even die.

              PS I'm personally 100% against the idea of the Lady of Fate being Eve, even though I know the devs intended that, so while the idea that she's protecting her extended family makes some sort of sense, that's not making it into my games, lol
              I love her being Eve. It wasn't just intended, but mentioned in Ends of Empire and stated as fact in the WW FAQ at the time. Obviously, with the rolled-back metaplot, it's optional again, but I thought it was way more interesting than having her be another spectre-in-disguise. It also tied in neatly with Orpheus, where Abel exists in the memory towers, IIRC.

              Comment


              • #8
                It doesn't have to be either Eve or a spectre. I'm exploring having her either as a wraith, an immortal (not a vampire), or as Hecate or one of her servants. It's fine if you like having Bible figures in wraith, but I find it to be the depth of boredom. To each their own!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I always figured it was to force the game to focus on the Underworld and it's politics instead of each Wraith Character aiming to take care of their unfinished business, (which is kind of the way the game was originally sold).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't let caine in Vampire be the third mortal I'm sure as hell not going to have LOF as the progentrix of mankind.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Beckett View Post
                      I always figured it was to force the game to focus on the Underworld and it's politics instead of each Wraith Character aiming to take care of their unfinished business, (which is kind of the way the game was originally sold).
                      That's a good theory. I think perhaps it was intended to make tinkering with mortal affairs something risky, and to explain why ghosts are not controlling the world and terrorizing mortals with impunity (anymore)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Callishka View Post
                        It doesn't have to be either Eve or a spectre. I'm exploring having her either as a wraith, an immortal (not a vampire), or as Hecate or one of her servants. It's fine if you like having Bible figures in wraith, but I find it to be the depth of boredom. To each their own!
                        The spectre thing was the other main theory, but of course lots of people were secretly Shadow-Eaten.

                        Having her be a dead mage or goddess would be cool too, though. With the metaplot rolled back again, we might even get more complex answers. Such as: what if Grandmother is the Lady of Fate's Shadow/evil twin? What if the Lady of Fate is the spirit of Gaia or Luna or the Scarlet Empress?

                        On a related topic, though, who's Nhudri? A fallen angel? A wraith? A redeemed spectre?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've always liked the redeemed Spectre idea for him, or just a very old Wraith who survived imprisonment in The Labyrinth by clinging to the vestige of who he was, which was a blacksmith

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Callishka View Post
                            I've always liked the redeemed Spectre idea for him, or just a very old Wraith who survived imprisonment in The Labyrinth by clinging to the vestige of who he was, which was a blacksmith
                            I always saw him as a Prometheus figure. So, he was some kind of Spectre or other servant/child of Oblivion, and he brought the "light" of soulforging to Stygia.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              A redeemed spectre would be cool, since it's objective proof of redemption. I never liked the idea of Charon being a Fallen, but Nhudri on the other hand...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X