Oracles and the Lady of Fate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracles and the Lady of Fate

I can't imagine there isn't some kind of close/complicated relationship between the Oracles Guild and the Legion of Fate. Has published material ever delved into this?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Yes, the Spooks and Oracles Guildbook. The Oracles are basically a sibling organization of the Legion of Fate. I'll glance through my copy to remember what the gist is...

Comment

Various passages paint this picture: Some Oracles (especially the Delphics) view the guild as the spiritual descendants of the Lady of Fate, guiding Charon as she does when she's around; they have affectionate contractions for her name ("Our Lady"); one faction believes the Lady of Fate is proof that the afterlife "reveals the will of the gods", that she is arbitor of preordained things and has omniscient sight, while another faction says she rather shows how the human will can change the course of possibilities (evidence that their theories of the Lady of Fate are central to their Arcanos and culture); some of their most cherished or mulled-over visions of the future revolve around the meaning of her choosing Charon and her role in the Underworld.

That's basically it. She seems to be revered as the first and greatest owner of the Sight, and there is a generally affectionate or duty-bound feeling about her, which makes the gap between her Legion and the Guild narrow indeed.

Comment

Thanks!

Was anything said in the Legion or Hierarchy book about how the Legion feels about the Guild, and the degree of unofficial overlap between the two (are good portion of the Fated also closet Oracles)?
        Last edited by glamourweaver; 02-17-2018, 03:55 AM.

Comment

I checked the Book of Legions, too. The chapter on the Legion of Fate says two things:

1. There is a rumor? urban legend? that before the Revolt of the Guilds, two individuals who may have been Legion of Fate "Arrangers" (those who arrange for others to have "accidents" due to fate) went to the Isle of Sorrows, possibly to act against Charon. Before doing so, they consulted with people (perhaps the Oracles Guild), heard omens of doom, and decided not to carry out their hitjob.

2. After that, the Revolt happened, most of the Oracles didn't join it, and after the Revolt ended, a "fair percentage" of the guild hid in the Legion of Fate.

Make of it what you will. Close and complicated, I agree.

Comment

Skimmed through Hierarchy, which I re-read only late last year, and it seems to add nothing to the topic.

Comment

Thanks for the insight Callishka!

Comment

There always seemed to be a huge overlap to me. Given that the Legion of Fate usually stays out of politics, too, it seemed the perfect place to hide the Oracles' Guild. I suspect they also harbour a fair few Mnemoias well--given that the Lady of Fate is one of a tiny group that knows the truth of the fallen guild.

Comment

Working...
                X