Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wraith20: Handbook for the Recently Deceased backer PDF live!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wraith20: Handbook for the Recently Deceased backer PDF live!

Was a bit busy today and haven't dived too far into my copy...but yeah, those thing should be heading out among backers.

From what I've read so far, the Handbook is definitely a really really good primer for helping new players into the mechanics of Wraith.

For the non-backers (or those who haven't read it yet), it's divided into three chapters, one for playing Wraiths, one for playing the Shadow, and one for the StoryTeller in regards of, well, how to handle storytelling, the consequences of certain Wraith concepts and in-game policies of the underworld, and player guiding.

The Wraith chapter pretty much goes through all the important bits for new Wraith players - starting with what causes people to even become Wraiths, going over the reaping, and the things that might follow for the character. How to handle your passions, your fetters, and an explanation of how the underworld works in general. And last but not least, what sides and factions the character might choose.

The Shadow chapter goes over, duh, the details about the Shadow - an introduction to Shadowguiding, how the Wraith might become aware of its Shadow, and the development of that dark psyche over time - and the tricks and subtle ploys it might use to steer the Wraith. It then goes on about Catharsis and Harrowing, and most importantly tips on how to keep things fun for both players involved.

The Storyteller chapter helps out with how to handle it all from the ST side - the different kinds of storytelling based on location, faction, guiding players and shadows past creation into the story, handling the politics of the Underworld, etc.

It's reeeeally good, all in all. It's not big on fluff details, but a literal introductory guide on playing Wraith and the concepts of the game world and mechanics. And it's to-the-point at 44 pages. Oh, and it also contains nice dashes of humor, which is always appreciated.
    In retrospect, I now feel like all of the gamelines should have a handbook like this.
    Last edited by Ambrosia; 06-09-2018, 05:24 AM.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
    cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff
    EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF!

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post
      It's reeeeally good, all in all.
      I cannot agree with this more! Wraith is not an easy game to get a handle on, but once you DO? Oh, it's wonderful. So yeah, this Handbook for the Recently Deceased kind of acts like both an (extremely extended) elevator speech for "how's that actually work" AND as a primer for anyone who already loves the game to find ways to introduce others who are not already tuned in to the (under) world of Wraith: The Oblivion.

...I was NOT paid to write any of that. I just love this game!

B.I.G. Bird spreads the word: Anybody with a heart votes love

Comment

I'm really happy with the work Richard Dansky did on this one. My involvement was pretty minimal, but it was a pleasure to add a few bits and pieces, do some proofing, and make sure the book could go out to you.

Do people think this kind of book would be good for our other gamelines?

Matthew Dawkins
        In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

~Hapax Legomenon~

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
          I'm really happy with the work Richard Dansky did on this one. My involvement was pretty minimal, but it was a pleasure to add a few bits and pieces, do some proofing, and make sure the book could go out to you.

Oh yes, most certainly.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Absolutely. Especially for other gamelines that have just as...tricky of a buy-in as Wraith's.

My only criticism with this release is that it's...not quite a full jumpstart. That it's basically an elevator pitch for Wraith to new players...but doesn't provide any rules, pre-gen characters, and scenario for new players to run through. It's a pitch without the jumping off point, at least getting the full book

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

Absolutely. Especially for other gamelines that have just as...tricky of a buy-in as Wraith's.

My only criticism with this release is that it's...not quite a full jumpstart. That it's basically an elevator pitch for Wraith to new players...but doesn't provide any rules, pre-gen characters, and scenario for new players to run through. It's a pitch without the jumping off point, at least getting the full book
              That was a conscious decision. It's deliberately not a jump-start, but an introduction to the core (and most contentious) themes of the game. I could see a similar book being popular for Storytellers wanting to get new players into Mage.

Matthew Dawkins
              In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

~Hapax Legomenon~

Comment

That was a conscious decision. It's deliberately not a jump-start, but an introduction to the core (and most contentious) themes of the game. I could see a similar book being popular for Storytellers wanting to get new players into Mage.
                Very yes. For Mage and Changeling both. Essentially the gamelines that are traditionally 'harder to get into' or seem to have a rather untraditional theme.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
                cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff
                EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF!

Comment

Sorry to sidetrack, but what's the ETA of this compared to the Wraith20 core? I have some unsuspecting victims, I mean dear friends, who I want to drop Wraith20 on, and this sounds very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Herbert_West View Post
                    Sorry to sidetrack, but what's the ETA of this compared to the Wraith20 core? I have some unsuspecting victims, I mean dear friends, who I want to drop Wraith20 on, and this sounds very useful.
                    Going by the last MMN, this definitely probably will come out before the Wr20 corebook. That the PoD files have been updated, and presumably ready to print.

If we’re lucky? Maybe this week. If not, a few weeks from now.

Comment

The Handbook goes live for everyone this Wednesday!

Comment

Flipped through. Looks decent, if a bit bare-bones (though it's an introduction, I can accept that).

However, I have a grip with re-using the cover are as a placeholder page not once, but twice. Not sure how it looks in paper print, but in the pdf, the first repetition looks wasteful (the second page should have been the cover as a whole, with the name and logo, and without the chains of stygia in the background, especially as the separating line is wonky), and the second one looks lazy, in the "we could not get any other art here" way. At least one of those uses could be replaced with the chains of stygia/ferryman symbol.

Comment

I think a book like this would useful even for players of Vampire and Werewolf.

In my experience, they are the games easier to get into... and lots of players tend to enter them with the full baggage of popular myths and beliefs about 'how easy is to play a Vampire', etc... Something which, in the end and in some cases, makes it as difficult to play them as to play the other, 'harder' games.

Comment

Am I missing something, or did this thing go up on Drive-Thru RPG before the actual Wraith 20th Ann. main book? I didn't back Wraith20 cause money was a wee short at the time, and Wraith just isn't my razzmatazz (if you will), but I'd still like to pick up a copy for my shelf. Am I missing anything here?

Comment

Working...
                            X