The Tempest in Wraith 20th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tempest in Wraith 20th

So I finally have my hands on my Wrath 20th book. All I can say is it is massive and I love it. The art work, the story, the updated rules.

My main thing is trying to find what the environment of the Tempest is like. Is it a swirling cloud bank, a night time joy ride over water, does the wraith who leaves a byway float in mid air or are they dunked into the plasm that makes up the "water" of the Sea of Shadows? Is it like being in a small Maelstrom unless you are on a byway or are you safe from environmental factors but need to look out for plasmics swimming beneath you, floating with you or flying above you?

I was hoping for some more info on the Tempest to give me a better grasp of what it is. Can some of you shed some light and banish my ignorance here?

It's always been hard to picture. I think it's easiest to imagine it as a sea that sometimes isn't. The fog is so dense over the sea that it touches the water, and in many places the two become inseparable. In those water-fog parts, it might ripple upwards, with plasmic 'fish' flowing away from you and horrific things below the surface, gliding nearby.

It's an endless storm, where the only stable parts appear like roads or rivers. There was a very good image in WTO 2e of a man sat on a pipe/cable with a sea of souls behind him. That encapsulates it for me. The image is here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...sary-Kicksta.3

If you've played Warhammer 40K, it's a bit like the Warp, crossed with the primordial oceans of the Bible and the river of death in mythology.

Comment

You are not alone, no two people have the same image of the Tempest. Nor should the Tempest be so stable that it always appears the same. So I think portraying it is less about specific description and more about specific feelings. So some imagery Ive used before:

Falling through a thunderhead as fragments of torn papers are tossed around you and bolts of lightning split the air.

You cling to a crumbling cliff face as bloody rain pummels you and the wind tries to rip you from your handholds.

Sinking into the dunes as a storm of sand and stained glass shreds your skin.

The current of the whirlpool pulls you under and holds you against a reef of rusted metal and photographs.

My thinking is this.

First and foremost, the Tempest is a storm. It doesn't have to be a specific kind of storm, but it should always evoke the screaming fury of the elements.

Secondly, it should rarely be stable. Hence the shifting sands or crumbling cliff face. Ground can exist, but it's not an improvement.

Lastly the Tempest is filled with images and memory. It always has the potential for alien but familiar imagery. It doesn't have to do this all the time, but reminders that this isn't Kansas are good.

Speaking of which, the tornado scene in the Wizard of Oz is good inspiration for the Tempest.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-in-particular

Comment

Working...
        X