Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will we see journeyman and master level Arcanoi?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will we see journeyman and master level Arcanoi?

    Iirc (on holidays, no access to Wr20), the Arcanoi are now split into common and guild member specific powers for each dot.

    Likewise, the guild power is called initiate. To me that implies the existence of powers above initiate level, those wielded by long-time guild members (journeyman), and perhaps higher still (guild master).

    Perhaps the maligned lack of punch for higher dot Arcanoi could be solved this way?

    Any ideas?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Herbert_West View Post
    Iirc (on holidays, no access to Wr20), the Arcanoi are now split into common and guild member specific powers for each dot.

    Likewise, the guild power is called initiate. To me that implies the existence of powers above initiate level, those wielded by long-time guild members (journeyman), and perhaps higher still (guild master).

    Perhaps the maligned lack of punch for higher dot Arcanoi could be solved this way?

    Any ideas?
    Level five is level five, so I'm not sure that works too well. I'm keeping the levels from 2e, mostly, with some mechanical tweaks.

    Comment


    • #3
      The term "initiate" denotes the arts that are only handed out to a Guild's trusted members and allies (as opposed to those that any wraith off the street can learn). It's not meant to be read as an indicator of rank.

      - C.


      Clayton A. Oliver | Formerly Ubiquitous

      When the half-light starts to rise/And the long gone come back again
      After the shortcuts and the highs/Comes the pain
      And the rain

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tegyrius View Post
        The term "initiate" denotes the arts that are only handed out to a Guild's trusted members and allies (as opposed to those that any wraith off the street can learn). It's not meant to be read as an indicator of rank.

        - C.
        That's the impression I had. I had always found it a little odd that the Guilds didn't have a bunch of Super-Secret Extra Special powers that they didn't keep to themselves. I figured it was a hold over from the first edition when the guilds (and legions) were there but not really a thing. I'm hoping for a companion/book of secrets follow up that includes a bunch of additional arts, including maybe alloyed combinations built from two or more Arcanoi.


        What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
          That's the impression I had. I had always found it a little odd that the Guilds didn't have a bunch of Super-Secret Extra Special powers that they didn't keep to themselves. I figured it was a hold over from the first edition when the guilds (and legions) were there but not really a thing.
          That's implied to varying degrees in some of the alternate arts that appear in the original Guildbooks, but yeah.

          I'm hoping for a companion/book of secrets follow up that includes a bunch of additional arts, including maybe alloyed combinations built from two or more Arcanoi.
          That would be pretty sweet.

          - C.


          Clayton A. Oliver | Formerly Ubiquitous

          When the half-light starts to rise/And the long gone come back again
          After the shortcuts and the highs/Comes the pain
          And the rain

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tegyrius View Post
            The term "initiate" denotes the arts that are only handed out to a Guild's trusted members and allies (as opposed to those that any wraith off the street can learn). It's not meant to be read as an indicator of rank.

            - C.

            Not the ideal choice of words, then, as initiate, both in terms used to describe guilds, and in terms used to describe cults/mystery faiths is meant as the first level of those in the know.

            At any rate, I too am hoping for a companion book. Lore of the Guilds and Lore of the Legions, perhaps?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Herbert_West View Post
              Not the ideal choice of words, then, as initiate, both in terms used to describe guilds, and in terms used to describe cults/mystery faiths is meant as the first level of those in the know.
              You should have seen some of the stuff we iterated through before settling on that. :/

              At any rate, I too am hoping for a companion book. Lore of the Guilds and Lore of the Legions, perhaps?
              Not my call to make, but I suspect several of the writers would be rather excited about working on such projects.

              - C.


              Clayton A. Oliver | Formerly Ubiquitous

              When the half-light starts to rise/And the long gone come back again
              After the shortcuts and the highs/Comes the pain
              And the rain

              Comment


              • #8
                Initiate means “one who has been initiated”. In some contexts it means “one who has JUST been initiated”, but it als generally means anyone who has entered. So it’s a catchall term in this context for “Guilld-members-only” Arts.


                Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                Comment


                • #9
                  They could've just called them 'Guild arts', but then that implies that the other arts aren't used by the Guilds, so 'initiate' is a better choice.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X