Creating Wraiths Reliably

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Wraiths Reliably

I'm in a Vampire game, playing one of those nasty Necromancers. The trouble is, just killing a random ice cream vendor doesn't make a wraith. I'm looking for at least a generally reliably way to ensure someone arises as a wraith. So far, I select individuals my character can determine has Willpower of 5 or greater. Then, I make sure they are thoroughly indoctrinated and killed during a time of great emotional intensity.

What else can I do to make sure that someone my character has decided to "invest in" actually becomes a wraith when they die (by my hand or conveniently arranged)? Supernatural powers including rituals are fine (be specific), but more mundane means would be preferable even if less convenient. Any projections of "success ratios" (aka 1 in 3, one in five or guaranteed) would be helpful.

The things that drive becoming a ghost is really outside a third party's control. It is all about unresolved passions that prevent a person from "moving on", but keep them "here" after death. These kinds of things are really interior to the person and not observable by others. While it is possible to guess right, I imagine failures would be far more common than successes, and not really better than random selection.

While it may seem that one can engineer things to create the needed conditions in any random person, I don't think that would be true in practice. Someone who is spiritually advanced might Transcend immediately. While someone pushed too far (or simply too nihilistic) might fall into Oblivion. Or worse from the perspective of a Necromancer, they become a Spectre and thus dangerous to a Necromancer.

Also, if you are going by Wraith, even if you successfully discover/create such a ghost, there is no guarantee you can harvest/enslave the Wraith. Wraiths "gestate" for some time before being "born" in a caul somewhere in the Underworld where they are found and "harvested" by Reapers on behalf of the Legions. There is not an instant ghost appearance after death you can whammy.

If I was STing the chronicle you are in, I'd just tell you that your character is going about this completely the wrong way. Instead, I would recommend your character determine areas where the Shroud is low and observe the area for signs of ghosts or paranormal presence, especially at night, and observe across the Shroud to find what existing ghosts there are. Of course, that presents its own risks, but at least you'd find actual potential targets.

Comment

Originally posted by g3taso View Post
      I'm in a Vampire game, playing one of those nasty Necromancers. The trouble is, just killing a random ice cream vendor doesn't make a wraith. I'm looking for at least a generally reliably way to ensure someone arises as a wraith. So far, I select individuals my character can determine has Willpower of 5 or greater. Then, I make sure they are thoroughly indoctrinated and killed during a time of great emotional intensity.

What else can I do to make sure that someone my character has decided to "invest in" actually becomes a wraith when they die (by my hand or conveniently arranged)? Supernatural powers including rituals are fine (be specific), but more mundane means would be preferable even if less convenient. Any projections of "success ratios" (aka 1 in 3, one in five or guaranteed) would be helpful.
      It's about the Passion, isn't it?

If somebody dies with empassioned, unfinished business, this provides the Pathos to create a Wraithly existance. So, if a Necromancer wants to create a Wraith maybe they need to sponser and cultivate the desires of a subject (victim) in life, possibly in a puppeteering, surrepticious way, before pulling the rug from under them and having them die in the most regretful manner they can devise.

Sounds a bit cruel, doesn't it?

Comment

I agree with a previous commenter that it seems the wrong way to go about things. Since wraiths already exist, seems less of a waste of resources to find them where they tend to lurk and use necromancy to bind them into service.

Comment

Have you tried asking the Giovanni? Apparently they regularly manage to have their ghouls become wraiths:

The one exception to the rule is the Giovanni. Certain
          members of the Clan have developed a rough technique for
          forcing the soul of a deceased ghoul to become a wraith. These
          wraiths are protected and cared for by the Clan, and in return,
          they do spy work in the Underworld.
          Wraith 20 p416

Comment

Nice catch, Dogstar

Comment

Well I did just read the book and that paragraph inspired me add a wraith henchman to a Giovanni Nov so it was on my mind

Comment

in the Jade Kingdom books, i can't remember which, its says something about Jade having the ability to hold the soul in place thus creating Wraiths, not all of these would be true wraiths as some would be drones. i will see if i can find the passage as i'm at work right now.

Comment

Working...
                X